Global "turn off replacements" Why would I do this?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JohnDillworth

Global "turn off replacements" Why would I do this?

Post by JohnDillworth »

Ready to start another GC after teh final patch comes out. I have been playing WITP for years and now AE. Often , I understand people turn off replacements for the Allies when they start a GC. Why would someone do this? Do you turn it off for all and then selectively turn it back on for some units? What is the downside? Is there a time in the game when it is OK to turn it back on?
thanks
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Yamato hugger

RE: Global "turn off replacements" Why would I do this?

Post by Yamato hugger »

When you only have 20 infantry squads, you dont want them going to a restricted base force on the west coast. You want them going to combat units as a priority.
Graymane

Post by Graymane »

We turn it off so we can be selective about turning it back on for units that needs the reinforcements the most.
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth
Do you turn it off for all and then selectively turn it back on for some units? What is the downside? Is there a time in the game when it is OK to turn it back on?
This is exactly what I do. As previous posters have said, when you have few replacement units, you want them going to the tip of your spear where *you* really need them, not getting fat on the West Coast CONUS unnecessarily guarding some airbase in Utah.

Another major downside to replacements is that it costs scarce supply to fill a unit to its full TO&E. Anyplace where supply is absolutely CRITICAL (e.g., China, PI, some parts DEI) should have replacements turned off unless absolutely necessary.

Lastly, I would hate to see scarce replacements supplied just in time to go to a POW camp or be destroyed by the early IJ tsunami. Consider where your tenable defensive points are first before allocating replacements.
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

Because when you are Japan you don't want all of your slowly built armaments going to China or Kwangtung where there will never be used.

Xargun
fbs

Post by fbs »

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

Ready to start another GC after teh final patch comes out. I have been playing WITP for years and now AE. Often , I understand people turn off replacements for the Allies when they start a GC. Why would someone do this? Do you turn it off for all and then selectively turn it back on for some units? What is the downside? Is there a time in the game when it is OK to turn it back on?
thanks

I start with replacements off, base expansion off, and purposely limit what I do on the first 10-30 turns in order to simulate the delays to mobilize the country (as the allies). I think it's unrealistic that the very next morning after the attack all allied governments will have all units in the army and air forces already growing to wartime strength, all airports and ports expanding, and everybody is building forts around.

So for me it's a matter of flavor :D

Cheers :mrgreen:
fbs
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

Is there any rhyme or reason to which LCU gets reinforcements first?  Suppose there's two LCU's, one at Pearl and another on Tarawa, both with HQ support, both needing the same number of infantry squads.  Who gets them?
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Even as Japan it makes sense to turn off auto-replacements and micro-manage your divisions so the armaments pool goes where its needed, not to some backwater static base force in the HIs, Korea or China.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
RevRick

Post by RevRick »

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

Is there any rhyme or reason to which LCU gets reinforcements first?  Suppose there's two LCU's, one at Pearl and another on Tarawa, both with HQ support, both needing the same number of infantry squads.  Who gets them?

It the Replacements Allowed button is on for the head cleaning and grease trap bucketing detail in Anchorage, AK, guess who gets the troops first.
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: RevRick

It the Replacements Allowed button is on for the head cleaning and grease trap bucketing detail in Anchorage, AK, guess who gets the troops first.

Of course. It would simply be unacceptable if an officer actually had to pick up a toilet scrubbing brush or empty the grease trap...you need raw recruits for those tasks. [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan

jazman

Post by jazman »

Could someone discuss "automatic upgrade ships and air groups" in the same manner? Default is on.
BS, MS, PhD, WitP:AE, WitE, WitW
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

No, this is a great feature. I spent at least an hour or two in my set up going to each base and unit to turn this stuff off. It is easier to turn it on on a selective basis. Brilliant!
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

So what everyone's saying is whichever LCU needs the reinforcements the least, that's the one that will get them?

Well, that figures.  It is the military, after all...
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

ORIGINAL: RevRick

That's because it's CO has an Admin of 99 and a supply of Whiskey that he uses to grease the supply route.[:D]
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

So what everyone's saying is whichever LCU needs the reinforcements the least, that's the one that will get them?

Well, that figures.  It is the military, after all...

And the military is the most efficient branch of any government. Kinda puts things into perspective doesn't it? [:D]
Distant Worlds Fan

The Gnome

Post by The Gnome »

Is there anyway to turn off supplies globally once the game has started?
Sheytan

Post by Sheytan »

No, but there is a button on each base that lets you increase supply demand at that location. I would use that judiciously though. In my first AE game I had stuff stockpiled in locations I really didnt need it in that quantity using this as I overdid it.

In PI for example it makes alot of sense to pull all available supply to Manila or Clark etc right off, so it stockpiles there from all the other smaller bases. You will need it [;)]
ORIGINAL: The Gnome

Is there anyway to turn off supplies globally once the game has started?
pompack

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: jazman

Could someone discuss "automatic upgrade ships and air groups" in the same manner? Default is on.

Same arguements apply. Turn it off.

For ship upgrades, you don't want your carriers suddenly becoming unavailable for a month the day before your planned raid to South Framistan. New to AE there is also the problem of clogging the shipyards with the upgrade ships. Far better to plan them individually. A practice I recently initiatiated is to flash "show ships in repair" and check them for pending upgrades; there seems to be a bonus for upgrading ships with damage (and it also reflects real-life practice)

For air groups, it is the same problem as replacements only worse. While you are counting the days until you have enough F4Fs to replace the Buffs on a carrier, it can be very depressing when all of the a/c are used to upgrade a restricted unit scheduled for early withdrawal anyway.
donkey_roxor

Post by donkey_roxor »

I've heard it depends on the order of the LCUs in the game database. The higher the number, the earlier they get *opportunities* for reinforcements. E.g., if the Pearl LCU is 10th in the database and the Tarawa LCU is 18th, the Pearl LCU gets the chance to roll for (and receive) reinforcements before the Tarawa LCU. Note that they're not automatically reinforced - I think they have to pass a few rolls first.
Dili

Post by Dili »

It is not only replacements. It is upgrades too. The frontline units need the best equipment first not some rear unit.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”