Bases

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rexor

Bases

Post by Rexor »

Why do bases have HQs assigned to them? What purpose does it serve?
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe." (H.G. Wells)
IronWarrior

RE: Bases

Post by IronWarrior »

Good question.

And under what circumstances you would use PP's to change command of a base?
Sheytan

Post by Sheytan »

Bump
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Only thing I could think of from WitP was, that if base was under nearby Command HQ, it really helped to get extra supplies.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Something I was wondering about so I did a search and came up with tese reference that appear to have something to do with it. But I suspect it is much more complicated than that as there is no mention of supply other than by a command HQ.

8.1.1 HEADQUARTERS

8.2.1.4 OBJECTIVES
There is also value obtained if a nearby HQ has Planning points accumulated towards the objective when combat takes place there. Having a high planning value is critical in reducing losses that are taken when amphibiously invading an enemy base (or non-base hex with enemy units). ?It's HQ or any HQ[&:]

9.1 BASE INFORMATION SCREEN page 206
The best Air HQ of the same command as the base which is within range can add its command radius to the number of groups that can be administrated, or if not in the same command, the nearest HQ will add ½ its command radius to the number of groups.

11.0 POLITICAL POINTS

16.2.3 Aircraft upgrades
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

Unless it has been changed in AE, any HQ provides the bonus for invasions if it is within range.  SoPac HQ, if within range, will give the bonus for a CentPac invasion and vice versa.

Air HQ's also provide torpedos for TB's and assist in coordinating airstrikes.
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

I was thinking more about the bases themselves being attached to a command. I.E. Lunga is attached to SOPAC, Brisbane is attached to AUS. What effect does changing this have? (changing Lunga to SOPAC Rear for example)
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

None at all; other than where they get supplies from (when connected to another base via a land route), switching commands for a base does nothing at all to them.
Kaletsch2007

Post by Kaletsch2007 »

You can not sent restricted air groups to an air base, that does not belong to the specified restricted command.
That's one example.
Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

But with one of the patches, you cant change a base to a restricted command.

So really, there is no point. Its a leftover from PacWar. The HQ system they had envisioned putting in place didnt make it, so base HQs are purely cosmetic (except as already noted the restricted ones for restricted ground and air units).
Graymane

Post by Graymane »

Both Dutch Harbor and Kodiak start the game as Central Pacific. The rest of Alaska is under the restricted western command. You could, for example, pay the PP (300 or so) and change one or more of them to the restricted command and start basing restricted aircraft there and even airlifting troops there. That is about the only practical use I can think of.
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

But with one of the patches, you cant change a base to a restricted command.

I stand corrected. I tried to change an Ozzie base to Dutch command and it wouldnt let me, so I had guessed they changed it so you cant change to any restricted command. I see that is in error, you can indeed still do it.
Graymane

Post by Graymane »

It isn't quite as straighforward as I thought. I think you might still be able to change bases, but it doesn't turn yellow until you have the PP to do it. I can still change Dutch Harbor to West Coast (R) for 40 PP, but Kodiak can't be changed now. I remember from a different game earlier on that it was 300 PP to change and I don't have that much, so I'm wondering if they changed the UI to not display it as an option unless you have the PP now.

Also, the other reason is the 9.1 rule that Chris H. mentioned, you can get rid of some of the stacking limits if your Air HQ and Base HQ share the same command.
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Remember that in WITP to change a base to a certain command you had to already have an LCU reporting to that command present at the base. No idea about AE, but if you are trying to change commands and can't, see if perhaps that's the reason.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

If similar to WITP, certain hq units(like "Halsey-SOPAC" will allow SOPAC's aircraft replacement to arrive whereever that unit is, (if at a base).

Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

Does changing the base command change whether or not the base gets the naval support bonus from the HQ within range?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”