Running WitP AE on an iMac with Windows XP (extra info)

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

MartNick

Running WitP AE on an iMac with Windows XP (extra info)

Post by MartNick »

I am running WitP AE on an iMac using BootCamp, on a OS X10.5 Leopard machine. I thought I'd pass on some extra info that I needed with my installation of Windows XP found outside of the usual BootCamp install instructions.

Check your HD using 'Disk Utility' (I had to repair my volume) as BootCamp won't partition a damaged drive. You'll need your OS X install disk to do this.

I managed to use my Windows XP Professional disk SP1.

(To get the Windows XP disk out if the install fails, manually reboot the iMac and hold down the left mouse button. The disk will eject).

After Windows installed I manually copied Windows SP2 onto the HD with a CD, before running SP2 setup I made this change to the registry:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" and adding a new string value named "BootDir" and setting its value to C:\

If you don't do this, when you run SP2 setup.exe you will get this message:

"There is not enough disk space on C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$ to install Service Pack 2. Setup requires a minimum or 4 additional megabytes of free space or if you also want to archive the files for uninstallation, Setup requires 4 additional megabytes of free space. Free additional space on your hard disk and then try again."

Once SP2 installs you’ll need your OS X installation disk to update all the Windows XP drivers and finish the BootCamp install.

You’ll now be able to install and play WitP AE just like any other Windows XP game.

If you update to Windows XP SP3 make sure you have BootCamp 2.1 installed. Version 2.0 won’t install SP3.

Hope this helps. Certainly makes it easier to see stuff on a nice big 24 inch widescreen monitor!

Return to “Tech Support”