question campaign/strategic modus

Based on Atomic Games’ award-winning Close Combat series, Close Combat: The Longest Day brings together the classic top-down tactical gameplay from the original series and plenty of new features, expansions, and improvements! The Longest Day remake comes with a brand new Grand Campaign that covers all the airborne and beach landings, expanded map sizes, new hand-drawn historical maps, illumination during night battles and much more!
knilli

question campaign/strategic modus

Post by knilli »

hi all,
i loved and still love the cc series, though was quite disappointed with the original cc4 and cc5. especially the way the kampfgruppen where chosen and the most annoying bit was the stragegic campaign map. has this been improved or is it still the same (for me annoying) modus?
Andrew Williams

RE: question campaign/strategic modus

Post by Andrew Williams »

What sort of improvements would yop be looking for?

What was annoying to you  in CC4/CC5?

What do you mean "the way kampfgruppen were chosen"?
ImageImage
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

What annoyed you about the strat map?

CCMT - has no strat map. It is for single battles against the AI or 1+ human players, no campain of any sort (CC3/COI or CC4/WAR or CC5/TLD)
WAR - has a strat map. Added features; BG's can retreat instead of disbanding, motorized BG's can run out of fuel so they can not move and the strat map can have up to 64 maps now.
TLD - has a strat map. Added features; night for single battles and the campaign, Cohesion and Fatigue will impact BG's over time if they are not rested.
knilli

Post by knilli »

hi andrew,

what i mean with kampfgruppen is more or less, that i could not choose (or more that i was very limited) in which squads/units i was able to choose from (maybe i played too much cc2 and cc3)
with the map i mean the different sectors. if i remember right i conquered most of the sectors and the allied always tried to attack me in bastogne for example, (even if bastogne had no direct access to the allied front and was conquered from my troops, and i choose bastogne because that is the only one, where i can remember the name of the sector). no attacks in the sectors adjacent to the allied ones but in the middle.
sorry i can not explain it more closely as i have kicked cc4 and cc5 (originals) because of the disappointment. still play cc2 and now again cc3
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

The method you describe is similar to Cc4/5  so not as flexible as cc3/Cross of Iron.... the reason is that teams/units have tried be kept historically correct  eg. so you can't choose a King Tiger to go with yur infantry battlegroup.

There should be no issues such as you describe with the strat map.  Battle groups can only attack into adjacent maps, except, of course, paratroop BG's that landed inland.
ImageImage
knilli

Post by knilli »

thx for your answer

Return to “Close Combat: The Longest Day”