What should be in the tutorial?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

henri51

What should be in the tutorial?

Post by henri51 »

As one who has been watching the AI playing itself (except for Coral Sea scenario), I have a few suggestions as a newbie, but by all means feel free to differ opinions.

There are contradictory needs for a tutorial: it has to be simple but introduce most of the key ideas. But the good news is that for experienced wargamers (from other games), it is the management aspect that requires the most handholding.And yes, I did read the whole manual (as if I could remembger it ll...)[:'(]

So IMHO the tutorial should have some detailed instructions for loading and unloading troops, setting up CAP, assault, sub runs and auto convoys, but the greatest need for newbies like me is moving supplies around. My mind boggles at the idea of setting up troop transfers and getting the supplies, oil and resources where they need to go. Choosing which bases to expand and so on is also a bit mind-boggling for a newbie with no idea of the best strategy, not to mention what was done historically (I just ordered a book from Amazon on the Pacific war...).

Actually this may be impossible to cover in a single tutorial,so maybe there is a need for a series of "artificial" tutorials focusing on different aspects of the game. For instance, one tutorial could deal with getting supplies to critical bases as well as getting oil to refineries then to the right bases and so on, another on amphibious invasions and their support, another on how to use carrier fleets and supporting them with ground aircraft, etc, another on repairs and training, - well you get the idea.

Another complication is that the rules are somewhat different for the Japanese and Allied players: my understanding is that the Allied player has no control over production (except for sending it where it belongs), whereas the Japanese have some control over production.

It would also be nice to have a dtabase of airplanes for those like me who don't know the difference between a Betty and a Jake, and how they changed over the war.

There are probably other good ideas, but that is it for now...[:D]

Henri

rmielech

RE: What should be in the tutorial?

Post by rmielech »

I'd like to know if it's in progress. 
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

I found the WitP tutorials pretty helpful. They could do a lot worse than just repeat those, with appropriate adjustments for AE.
Rik81

Post by Rik81 »

WHERE is the tutorial? The Manual (you know, that big 332 page thing) refers to a tutorial installed on our hard drive. Please tell me where to find it? I am so silly, I am looking for the word "tutorial" in a folder called "manuals" or in a folder called "docs", no luck.
MartNick

Post by MartNick »

I think I saw a thread which said the Tutorial was delayed but would come along a little later.

Then I had a thought, most of the business software I use have tutorial videos, maybe Matrix could produce a series of WitP tutorial vidoes and post them up on YouTube or some other video hosting site. It is much easier to digest the complexities of this kind of software if you use a 'Monkey See, Monkey Do' approach. Just a thought.

For now I'll have to wait until my box copy arrives to read the manual. Still I did win the Coral Sea scenario, without really knowing what I was doing by sinking 16 jap ships to my 2 [:D]
RHoenig

Post by RHoenig »

ORIGINAL: MartNick

For now I'll have to wait until my box copy arrives to read the manual. Still I did win the Coral Sea scenario, without really knowing what I was doing by sinking 16 jap ships to my 2 [:D]

Well, there IS a PDF manual in your installation in the MANUAL folder (now who had guessed that [:)] )
"Tell the King: After the battle my head is at his disposal, during the battle he may allow me to use it!
GenLt. Seydlitz to Frederik the Great after disobeying an order to attack

R. Hoenig, Germany
Scotters1

Post by Scotters1 »

Rik81, I asked the same thing on day 1. They removed the tutorial at the end of production I believe because it was the one for WITP and things have really changed with AE. I think it was Erik who said that a new one was in the works. And I agree, the most help a newby like me needs is help with logistics.
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

I think it would be best to do a few tutorials...

-something basic for troop/ship/air movement

-something specific for Japanese production

-something specific regarding Allied production

-something geared to loading and transporting troops/supplies/resources via ship/air/land

TTFN,

Mike
TTFN,

Mike
Rik81

Post by Rik81 »

ORIGINAL: RHoenig

Well, there IS a PDF manual in your installation in the MANUAL folder (now who had guessed that [:)] )

Not in my installation? Only have Adobe manuals, and nothing "tutorial".
Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

I think I saw a thread which said the Tutorial was delayed but would come along a little later.

Yes. That is the situation.

Andrew
Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

RHoenig

Post by RHoenig »

ORIGINAL: Rik81

ORIGINAL: RHoenig

Not in my installation? Only have Adobe manuals, and nothing "tutorial".
This is odd.
in C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacivic Admirals Edition\Manuals
I have WITPAE-Editor.pdf, WITP-Manual-[EBOOK].pdf and WITP-Manual-[LIGHT].pdf
with the EBOOK one being the pdf version of the printed manual, as far as I can tell.

Or are we talking about a manual especially for the tutorial?

"Tell the King: After the battle my head is at his disposal, during the battle he may allow me to use it!

R. Hoenig, Germany
Rik81

Post by Rik81 »

Page 13 of the main manual, in the section numbered 1.1 MAIN MANUAL refers to the tutorial guide. This same info is mentioned again a few pages later (p16) in the GETTING STARTED section.
RHoenig

Post by RHoenig »

Ah, ok, never read that (who reads an introduction anyway?) [:)]

Well, I´d guess that "tutorial guide" IS the tutorial, which, as others have said, didn´t make release.

MartNik mentioned that he couldn´t read the manual because he was still waiting for his box, so I wanted to point out that there is the PDF manual, just in case he had missed it.

R. Hoenig, Germany
MartNick

Post by MartNick »

I know that the PDF is in there, I just don't like reading off the screen. I much prefer to have a physical book in my hand [:)]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”