1day-turns or 2day-turns?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Bluebook

1day-turns or 2day-turns?

Post by Bluebook »

Im about to start on the first turn japanese setup, and I cant decide which way to go. On the one hand, Ive always played with 1day-turns, and I tend to like the idea of having that level of control. On the other hand, Ive come to understand that alot of people are leaning towards the 2day-turns. Partly because the game goes faster, but also because it adds a level of uncertainty to the game. You have to be more careful in your planning because things can go really wrong really fast in a 2day-turn-game.

What are your thoughts an opinions on the turn frequency?
Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the gate:
"To every man upon this earth death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his Gods."
jwilkerson

RE: 1day-turns or 2day-turns?

Post by jwilkerson »

I play 2-day turns, not because it is faster, but because it is slower. It tends to slow down the pace of the game to much more realistic levels. It is also a great leveler against the AI. It does take some getting used to - and it does take more planning - but I think maybe this is the way the original (WITP) was designed to be played.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

always 2 or 3 days for me
Bluebook

Post by Bluebook »

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

I play 2-day turns, not because it is faster, but because it is slower. It tends to slow down the pace of the game to much more realistic levels. It is also a great leveler against the AI. It does take some getting used to - and it does take more planning - but I think maybe this is the way the original (WITP) was designed to be played.

Can you elaborate some on why it slows the pace of the game down? Is it because you become more cautious, or is it because you lose the ability to shift airunits back and forth and attack the next day etc?
Valgua

Post by Valgua »

Wow, interesting discussion. I just assumed that 1 day was the way to go. Can you elaborate on the advantages of playing 2 day turns? And what do you mean it is a great leveler against the AI?
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

I think he means that the AI benefits if the human has fewer opportunities to micromanage everything on a daily basis. In 2- or 3-day turns, bad stuff's gonna happen, and neither side can do anything about it. More generally, the game becomes a little more chess-like (an atmosphere more favorable to the AI). I think.

Edit: I myself have never tried anything but 1-day turns, so what do I know. I just like the idea of playing one turn per day. I feel like I'm playing the real war at the real war's pace, heh.
Valgua

Post by Valgua »

That's my feeling too. The only serious problem is that, at current pace, my current game will be over by 2013.
Scott_USN

Post by Scott_USN »

1 day never play anything else. It may seem slower at first but by Feb it is rolling very nicely.
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

I switch between 1 or 2 day turns depending on the situation.
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

3 day turns for the GC rock.

Last game we got close to 1943 in less than 3 months.

USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

I have only played 1 day up to now, but I intend to play 2 day while learning AE.  Any PBEM I start in the future really needs to be 2 day, as I can't always get a turn done every day with my schedule.  I'd like to actually finish a game before I turn 100.  [:D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

Mmh, how do 2 or 3 day turns work? The manual doesn't shed much light on this. Do my orders simply count for two days (one order, two turn resolutions)?
Bluebook

Post by Bluebook »

ORIGINAL: Brausepaul

Mmh, how do 2 or 3 day turns work? The manual doesn't shed much light on this. Do my orders simply count for two days (one order, two turn resolutions)?

Yeah.
Instead of orders-execution, you get orders-execution turn 1-execution turn 2.
dr. smith

Post by dr. smith »

Just trying 3-day turns with WitP-AE, with WitP did 1-day.  Allies both times.

It's more like Pac War, where you had to plan send your TF to a location and then to rely on TF reaction, rather than plotting out every day's course of action.  

Overall, I like the 3-day better, it has the bonus of allowing me to think I may even finish off a year of the war!
Miller

Post by Miller »

I have always been a "1 day" man in UV and WITP, but I think 2 day turns will be the way to go in AE. Life's too short to be playing the same game four years after it started!

As stated it also adds an element of uncertainty into each "2nd day" beyond the control of the player......
Scott_USN

Post by Scott_USN »

With 2 or 3 day there are 2 or 3 executions right?

AM
PM
AM
PM
AM
PM

So I never seen the point playing against AI, just as easy to click end turn. I burn through days and days every night now.
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: Brausepaul

You give orders every 2 or 3 "days" instead of every day. Besides speeding up games, it tends to slow pace because it makes you more cautious as a commander. Smart players will play them learn to rely more on "Commander's Discretion" and "retirement allowed" as well as picking more cautious commanders. Leads to less bloody fight to the death type of confrontations (by design at least)

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I believe it will be two-day turns for me in my PBEM games.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
treespider

Post by treespider »

In regards to the AI Leveller statement -- in 2 or 3 day turns the human only gives orders once every 2 or 3 days, whereas IIRC the AI still issues orders everyday.
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

I recommend doing the first couple days of the game in 1 day turns. A lot needs to be done between December 8-12, 41, such as moving troops in the Burma theater, getting ships out of PH and Hong Kong, trying to save POW and Repulse, etc.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”