Production and Map questions

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Kharkov

Production and Map questions

Post by Kharkov »

Can one of the beta testers give us a run down on how production works within the game. On a personal note, I thought the production process within WitP was far too over complicated. Can I appoint the AI to run the production for me or do I need to dabble?

Looking at the screen shots I noticed that the map while looking good comes no where near the prettiness factor of lets say the Road to Moscow map. Is the map now finished or is it a work in progress?

Attachments
roadtomoscow1.jpg
roadtomoscow1.jpg (94.49 KiB) Viewed 75 times
Montbrun

RE: Production and Map questions

Post by Montbrun »

Wow - Road to Moscow - it still makes me sad that this game was never released.
WitE Alpha/Beta Tester
WitE Research Team
WitE2.0 Alpha/Beta Tester
WitE2.0 Research Team
WitW Alpha/Beta Tester
WitW Research Team
Piercing Fortress Europa Research Team
Desert War 1940-1942 Alpha/Beta Tester
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Besides delays in moving Soviet factories, everything is auto production. I know there will be some whing about that, but it agian it goes to just how vast this game is...
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

ORIGINAL: Kharkov

Looking at the screen shots I noticed that the map while looking good comes no where near the prettiness factor of lets say the Road to Moscow map. Is the map now finished or is it a work in progress?

Map art is not 100% done. But the general look shouldn't change much. I'm not willing to discuss subjective "prettiness" factor. But with the hex based games, more important is the balance between three factors - historical accuracy, informativeness and aesthetics. It is hard to judge your low-res example, but I'm not sure if all the details (btw, not all of them are correct [;)]) would reflect the logical map information used by the game engine in WitE.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
paullus99

Post by paullus99 »

Road to Moscow....wow, vaporware extraordinaire. I was really looking forward to that game.....maybe in a few years, with the advances in processing and technology, someone will pick up the torch.
Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

_Everything_ in WITE is a work in progress, folks, please keep that in mind.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
siRkid

Post by siRkid »

I will admit that when the map first came out I was not a huge fan but after playing on it for a few games I've really started liking it. It has the look and feel of a battle map that might have been used in WWII. I think once you play on it you will agree.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

kafka

Post by kafka »

Besides delays in moving Soviet factories, everything is auto production.

does this mean the player has no means to control production, i.e. switching from one model to another?
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

ORIGINAL: Kharkov

Well, lets put it this way. The RTM map does look more detailed, more pretty, I do not know.

Now for a much more important aspect of RTM vs. the WITE map. Ask yourself, which map does give you a quicker impression of the terrain factor of a certain hex?
Which map does make the counters more stand out in order to judge the strategic / operational situation quickly? I find it very easy to miss a counter on the RTM map.

Both factors have been design goals, judge terrain quickly, have the counters stand out. While keeping it pretty with a contemporary look.

That being said, the highly compressed screenshots on the website do not really "promote" the map well, a lot of things look washed out.
I will ask to have them replaced with better quality ones as soon as we added some more artwork.
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

The WitE map is very much like a military style topographical map. The mountains and folds in the terrain are beautifully done and really gives you a 3d  overhead feel of the terrain. In game, if you look close, even the terrain that looks flat has minor variations in it that provides terrain relief. Screenshots just can't provide the detail that is actually there. IMO the RTM map doesn't come close to the quality of the WitE map.
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
bshirt7

Post by bshirt7 »

ORIGINAL: Brad Hunter

Wow - Road to Moscow - it still makes me sad that this game was never released.

Yes, it is a sad state of affairs.

What ever happened to that game?
comte

Post by comte »

I like the look of the map in WITE I think it looks really good. Road to Moscow I remember wanting this game so bad and then it just turned into vaporware.
But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”