Just in case...

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JudgeDredd

Just in case...

Post by JudgeDredd »

I know alot here are against Steam and even more are against Empire Total War...but just a heads up that Steam has it for £14:99 and the Special Forces edition (yeah right) for £17.99.

Like I said, I know both are a no no for many, but it didn't seem fair not passing on that info [8D]
Alba gu' brath
vonRocko

RE: Just in case...

Post by vonRocko »

As long as steam is involved, I wouldn't take it if it was free![:'(]
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

No thanks, you can get the boxed copy for $26 at NWS.I would rather have a physical copy than a download.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

No thanks, you can get the boxed copy for $26 at NWS.I would rather have a physical copy than a download.

Makes little difference in this case. Physical copies can only be activated through Steam, anyway.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

And once you do, you can turn Steam off again.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

As tempting as price drops are, I'm with vonRocko. Even being able to turn off Steam defeats the object to me, it has to be there in the first place or you can't activate/patch games. I won't have it on any of my PC's again, end of story.
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

ORIGINAL: Jim_H

As tempting as price drops are, I'm with vonRocko. Even being able to turn off Steam defeats the object to me, it has to be there in the first place or you can't activate/patch games. I won't have it on any of my PC's again, end of story.
Count me in, too, Jim.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Makes little difference in this case. Physical copies can only be activated through Steam, anyway.

Yea, but my point was that I would rather have physical copy.I like having the actual CD, so just in case my hard drive breaks in half I still have the game.

Dont get what is so bad about Steam.Steam is actully pretty cool, much better than Games for Windows Live.Sure, its not perfect but it's a great concept.

Did I mention its way better than Games for Windows Live?[:D]
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

Yea, but my point was that I would rather have physical copy.I like having the actual CD, so just in case my hard drive breaks in half I still have the game.

Dont get what is so bad about Steam.Steam is actully pretty cool, much better than Games for Windows Live.Sure, its not perfect but it's a great concept.

Did I mention its way better than Games for Windows Live?[:D]
Why didn't you mention Windows Live? For goodness sake! [:'(] If it's by Microsoft, it'll be buggy, bloaty and broken. I'm a huge fan of Redmond, can you tell?

I bought a physical copy of Orange Box exactly for the reasons given in this thread. To have the disc for future fubars with my pooter and to avoid having to rely on Steam. One out of two ain't bad! I could give it away and gladly would, but as the serial numbers are forever tied to my now defunct Steam account, it would be pointless.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
killroyishere

Post by killroyishere »

The reason I don't like digital downloads only is because all of this is pretty new. We've seen some of our favorite game publishers and developers disappear over the 20+ or so years we've been involved in computer gaming and of course don't get much in the way of support of those older games. Except maybe through this GOG.com Who's to say these direct download sites won't go bellyup in a few years or so? I just don't like taking that chance.

Direct download doesn't bother me as much as will they be here 20 years from now? And don't go saying we won't be playing the same games 20 years from now. I sure am. I play a lot of games from the 80's still when I can find them for the PC I have. DOSBOX has brought back a lot of playing old games from the 80's and early 90's as well.

For now I will only direct download if I can get a physical copy also like through Matrixgames. Or if the price is so bargain basement I'm not worried if I lose it in 20 years. Like SotS complete (except for the very last expansion) was on sale at Gamersgate for $7.99 last weekend. I have GalCiv 2 and think it's the best 4x around but I went ahead and downloaded it because it was cheap.

When someday we can get a guarantee in EULA or writing or something that if a direct download site goes belly up that we will get all our games forever activated through some download then I might think seriously about it. But, even then companies can make promises and still not live up to them. So, it's still a risky deal if you get all your games from direct download and then one day find out where you got them from is gone and you can never get them again.
sapper_astro

Post by sapper_astro »

As much as I would like this game, I refuse to buy it with the online activation and bloatware. If they bring out a copy that has a CD key, then I will buy it.

For the rest of my reason, read killroy's post above.
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

I'm all for direct downloads, it's a good use of the technology available and gives us instant access. There's probably a green argument there too. Having said that, the Matrix idea of also supplying the physical copy if required gives us the best of both worlds. I do like to have the DVD case and manual on my shelf as much as a burned CD copy of a digitally downloaded version. My only objection is as killroyishere said; if the digital download is the only option complete with online activation, what does the customer do if or when that company is no longer there? It's a seriously flawed model which only favours the vendor and ultimately penalises the honest buyer. Why people put up with it is beyond me.
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

Aside from the glitz E:TW isn't any good. A highly polished game with ill-conceived mechanics for casual strategists. Somebody familiar with Matrix and Paradox titles will hardly find a challenge there. I was stupid enough to purchase this game right after release, figured out how to beat it in a day or two, and completely lost interest afterwards.

So better save your money, not even due to the Steam issue, but ET:W simply isn't worth it.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

I didn't think it was THAT bad! That said, though, anyone with an interest in this style of game who can live with reduced eye-candy would much better off with the superb Takeda 3, for a only few quid more.
sapper_astro

Post by sapper_astro »

ORIGINAL: Hertston

I didn't think it was THAT bad! That said, though, anyone with an interest in this style of game who can live with reduced eye-candy would much better off with the superb Takeda 3, for a only few quid more.

How is the combat mechanics in this one? I played the ancients game they brought out a few years ago, and the UI was terrible.

If you compared T3 with MTW1 how does it stack up across the board?

http://ezgame.com/SNH2/index.html Interesting, number 2 for S&H. If T3 is any good, I guess this one will be too.
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

I dont like Digital Download, because while you are downloading something could get corrupted or something like that, or the power could go out while downloading.Also like I said above I dont have to rely on my hard drive to keep my games as what would I do if the hard drive broke in half?And what if Matrix isnt around anymore so I can't re-download the game?With a physical copy all I dont have to worry about that.

Now about Empire total war.I was kind of disappointed that a US regular is equal to a British regular.Seriously, all they did was take one guy and gave him different uniforms for each nation.There is something wrong when US Militia is able to take on British Regualars in an open field.Another thing that pissed me off from gameplay vids was the fact the the Native Americans were fighting like europeans and I didnt see any tactics that Native Americans would have actually used.There is something wrong when Native American archers get into a line formation right in front of Militiamen like they are europeans or something.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

I don't understand some of you guys. Digital download is the greatest (for me, anyway). It's cheaper. When you've got an executable that works, you burn it to a CD (along with your registration info). Patches and expansions you save up until you've got enough for various games that you can burn them to another CD. You inventory and index everything so that you can find it all later.

Manuals? I LOVE electronic manuals. You can edit them, rearrange things, add stuff, rewrite crap writing (and there's plenty of that in computer game manuals, just take an intelligent gander at the horror story that is the sample from the Witp-AE manual, sorry bloated mess that it is gonna be). I HATE printed manuals. They're like beautiful women - so vain, all you can do is sit and look at 'em, because they think they're too good for ya to touch 'em.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.......Just go on and use steam and one day that other shoe will drop right on your brain.
Just don't say the folks here who have many years of game playing and support game companies did not warn you. Never mind guys some just have to learn the hard way....and it hurts a lot when it happens.

Madgamer
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

I wanted to get a copy of the new Koei game ROTK 11 but it wqs only available through two down load sites in the USA. I am no fan od direct2drive so I tried the other one. Well had to reinstall die to HDD problems and they could not find my purchase info that I could find on there own website.
They finally said conformation and a new license key were sent, which I never got but did get a refund. With a reluctant heart I tried direct2drive and the same thing. so I had a friend on a newsgroup I am in who lived in the UK buy it at Amazon,uk and I sent him uS$$$ plus a $15 wire transfer fee and he sent it to me. disk, manual and case all for $50 USD including shipping) and now I have the disk and manual which is great.
So for me add me to the list of no go for download only.

Madgamer
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

UH.......while your doing all this stuff I assume you find time to play LOL. Like all issues there are two sides and I feel that I should not have to go through all that for a download only game.
I also know that it did me no good when I bought ROTK 11 because they never could get the new activation key to me to me. Recording the activation key in some downloads does no good because you have to get a new one every time you reinstall.
Nobody forces us to buy by a particular method we choose it ourselves so you play the song your way and I will play iot mine.

Madgamer

Return to “General Discussion”