Hürtgenwald

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Oliver Heindorf

Hürtgenwald

Post by Oliver Heindorf »

On Saturday, I'll pack my gear to a visit of Hürtgenwald, Ardennes, Normandy and the Bretange.

I have never been there and I am courious what is left of WWII.

I will take pics if I find anything from it and post them here if any one is interested.

Qwixt

RE: Hürtgenwald

Post by Qwixt »

Have fun. When I was in the Army, myself and 5 guys from my unit were somehow selected to be part of a commemorative event for the battle of the bulge. So we had to go there and do a parade like thing for a wreath laying. I was 19/20 at the time, and the history of it eluded me unfortunately.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: Oliver Heindorf

On Saturday, I'll pack my gear to a visit of Hürtgenwald, Ardennes, Normandy and the Bretange.

I have never been there and I am courious what is left of WWII.

I will take pics if I find anything from it and post them here if any one is interested.

My father fought in the Battle of the Hurtgen Forest. He said it was the worst fighting that he was in from Normandy to the end of the war!!!
Tony
uncc

Post by uncc »

My late father-in-law was wounded there (Hurtgen Forest) on 18 Nov 1944. He was in the 22nd Inf/4th Division. Yes, please post any pics. Thanks...
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

It would be interesting if there's anything to see in the Hurtgen. What a place to wreck an army.

Hope you enjoy the trip, Oliver.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: uncc

My late father-in-law was wounded there (Hurtgen Forest) on 18 Nov 1944. He was in the 22nd Inf/4th Division. Yes, please post any pics. Thanks...

My Father was wounded there also. He was 109th Regiment of the 28th ID. Read the book "Follow Me and Die" if you can find it!!
Tony
Doggie

Post by Doggie »

I was there in 1973. Unfortunately, there was no internet and books were scarce, so there was no way to research the places I went. The only sure things were places with prominent landmarks, like the towers at Remagen.

At that time, German tanks were still used as range targets at Grafenwoehr and Hohenfels, and the airfield control towers were still riddled with holes from fifty caliber machine guns.
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

My brother and I walked the Kall trail from just outside Vossenack all the way down to the bridge at the bottom. Plenty of foxholes to see and a touching memorial at the bridge. It's a steep climb but worth it.

Ardennes - too many to even start. Dont miss the Museums in Diekirch, Bastogne, La Gleize, and the new one at Baugnez Crossroads (top notch).

Also there is a new "Band of Brothers" memorial just off the road between Bizory and Foy. The foxholes overlooking Foy have been trashed by tourists [:@], but they are still there if you can find them.

To find the Kall Trail at Vossenack:

Attachments
kall.jpg
kall.jpg (186.52 KiB) Viewed 12 times
simovitch

Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

Yep..I've been there too..back in 89 I got to spend a couple days in that area. There are plenty of bunkers..old foxholes. At the time the german government was still hauling out tons of old scrap metal from that place. As you get across on the Kall trail, as you come up a hill you will see an old sherman tank tread embedded in the pavement. Back then of course it was just a dirt trail, but whoever paved it decided to leave the thing in place.

I hiked up on an old hill area that was still heavily forested that looked like a good defensive position and found an old US company bivouc area. The command cp, machinegun positions and a multitude of other foxholes were still present in various degress of condition. I didn't have near as much time there as I would have liked but during that time we found bits and pieces of old K rations in a few of the foxholes and leaning up against a tree was an old, rusted out, US made flamethrower minus the straps and hoses which had obviously deterioted away thru the years.

It was a pretty good experience, but there are a lot of good battlefield sites to visit..Omaha beach and Bastogne are a couple others over there.
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Post by SS Hauptsturmfuhrer »

That's cool knowing you are in a place where a legendary gunbattle happened.  I would have left shot-up tanks, vehicles and the litter of war there as part of a battlefield museum.  And set up the area as a national park to protect the remains.

Return to “General Discussion”