AE Port Size & Ship/TF tons

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JWE

RE: AE Port Size & Ship/TF tons

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: Ol_Dog
I believe JWE said that the ship could do minor repair with the ship's crew if it was anchored, not in a task force.
Yes, but there's a bit more to anchoring (disbanding). To clarify:

If you are in a TF, you may only repair damage in accord with the game code damage control routines. The game code don’t care where the TF is; if you are in a TF, you are “at sea”. This ain’t reality, but this is, after all, a game.

If the TF “disbands”, then the ships are considered “anchored”. Anchored ships have the full range of port-supported repair modes available to them (ships in TFs do NOT have these options available). Ships do not have to be “docked” in order to select pierside or shipyard repair, because making the selection presumes moving the witch to a suitable space – that’s what ops points are for.

So, if you are in a TF you WILL be vulnerable to the code’s TF attack modes. Like I said, the code don’t care where the TF is. Even if it’s 200nm up the Amur River, if you are in a TF, you are in a TF. This ain’t reality, but this is, after all, a game.

If you are disbanded in port, you WILL be vulnerable to the code’s port attack modes.

If you are in a shipyard, you probably won’t get hurt (because you are no longer “in-port”), but the yard might get hit which means add another month to your repair time. This ain’t reality, but this is, after all, a game.
kfmiller41

Post by kfmiller41 »

It is amazing how many times you have had to say "This ain’t reality, but this is, after all, a game" Funny how people forget that somehow[:D]
You have the ability to arouse various emotions in me: please select carefully.
Richrd

Post by Richrd »

Wow. Is this game going to be any fun? I mean for the non severely anal retentive group.
Richrd
JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: Richrd
Wow. Is this game going to be any fun? I mean for the non severely anal retentive group.
Should be fun. Most everything defaults to WiTP, so if you can play WiTP without rectal infarction, AE should play the same for you.

However, if you had a recent Colonoscopy, or even a Sigmoidoscopy, and it came back clean, you ought to have a ball with AE.
Richrd

Post by Richrd »

I wonder. I've played this game, off and on, since it came out and I've never docked a ship. Sometimes I noticed that a ship or TF docked itself, but I've never done it myself.
Richrd
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

ORIGINAL: JWE

Should be fun. Most everything defaults to WiTP, so if you can play WiTP without rectal infarction, AE should play the same for you.

However, if you had a recent Colonoscopy, or even a Sigmoidoscopy, and it came back clean, you ought to have a ball with AE.
Had them both last year. They did not come back "clean" {in any sense of the word}, but I still expect to have fun. Would've been great if it was released last year.....I had a year off work in order to play.
RevRick

Post by RevRick »

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

7. Plan ahead, PPPPPP.

For you non-military types, this means "prior planning prevents piss poor performance".

Don must not have known any Navy Chiefs. They always added another 'P' - Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.. I've never seen a chief overly optimistic about his division's performance. Our chief once told us, after we failed a material inspection because 'someone' left a foxtail on top of a transmitter (bloody thing was taller than I was), that the whole lot of us couldn't find a cathouse in Naples, let alone do anything if we did find it - only his language was more explicit.

And thanks for the picture of the ports. I was about to have a hissy fit about San Francisco and it's limitations until I noticed that Mare Island and Alameda were also there on the port list, and since they are relatively close, that means that the Bay Area has a goodly number of docking sites. I'd suspect that Mare Island would also have a goodly number of ship repair points, as well.
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
RevRick

Post by RevRick »

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

Had them both last year. They did not come back "clean" {in any sense of the word}, but I still expect to have fun. Would've been great if it was released last year.....I had a year off work in order to play.

Well, that begs the question - and I ask this in the jestingly serious sense - Did everything come out OK?? Or do we need to do some knee time?
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

ORIGINAL: RevRick

Don must not have known any Navy Chiefs.

Them's fight'n words. What did you think this is:

Attachments
AvatarMaybe.jpg (3.63 KiB) Viewed 1 time
Iron Duke

Post by Iron Duke »

Space Patrol?[:D]
[:D]
"Bombers outpacing fighters - you've got to bloody well laugh!" Australian Buffalo pilot - Singapore
Charbroiled

Post by Charbroiled »

I thought that was the new symbol for Black & Decker's new "Skill Saw and Nuclear Missle" line.[:D]

(sorry Don...please don't ban me from purchacing AE)[X(]
"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

And I was thinking that he likes the heavy metal band WASP....

[:D][:D]
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

Well, that begs the question - and I ask this in the jestingly serious sense - Did everything come out OK?? Or do we need to do some knee time?
Mostly.

Had Radiation/Chemo before surgery that was a breeze. Surgery was problematic and a 7 day hospital stay turned into 23 days {and I left a couple days before they wanted me to}. Then six months of Chemo that got progressively worse {though I still had more hair than my YOUNGER brother!}.

I got back to work two months ago. Everything still works like it is supposed to {more or less}.
JWE

Post by JWE »

Mostly.

Had Radiation/Chemo before surgery that was a breeze. Surgery was problematic and a 7 day hospital stay turned into 23 days {and I left a couple days before they wanted me to}. Then six months of Chemo that got progressively worse {though I still had more hair than my YOUNGER brother!}.

I got back to work two months ago. Everything still works like it is supposed to {more or less}.
Bless you Rock. I meant the post as a joke, and not to raise any issues. Please accept my sincere apologies. As RevRick says, you got some knee time. I'll light a candle.

Ciao and Best Wishes. John
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Glad to hear that you seem to have recovered, Rockmedic. Hope you stay well for a long time, sorry we couldn't time it better for you.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
RevRick

Post by RevRick »

A thousand pardons, mon ami.... I had completely blocked that rating badge from my memory. Every time we fired a missile on the old Charlie Deuce, it was an adventure at sea. We were never quite sure how it was going to work. One Lt. from those days still swears that we fired one to starboard, which corkscrewed up into the sky (which we found out later that it wasn't supposed to do, even though it did look fancy!), lost the engine, guidance, or something; fell on the starboard side of the ship, only to erupt out of the sea at full speed on the port side of the ship - fortunately not heading toward us. Maybe that's where the Sovs got the idea of the super-cavitating torpedo, watching our early missle shots.

That, and taking a flight from Miami to Charleston with a Missile Tech that landed on every runway between the two, who challenged me to match him on two shots on each hop (Miami-Ft. Liquordale-West Palm- Tampa-Orlando-Jax-Chasn) made me forget about that rating totally!!! You can imagine how we deplaned. After they poured us down the ladder, we sort of staggered, holding on to each other to make sure we didn't have any mid course changes of direction, past a chief with a new draft of men coming into the ships in Charleston. He had a bigger gut then than I have now, looked at us, and bellowed to the nice, new, cherubic boot camp refugees and said - "There goes a couple of fleet sailors! Just think, in a few months, you will look like them." Whereupon Gallagher threw up. And this ain't no S**T.
Richrd

Post by Richrd »

I was on a boomer and we fired a Poseiden at ourselves. The surface ships all about were sure that we sank ourselves.
Richrd
stuman

Post by stuman »

Mostly.

Sorry to hear about that man. Glad to hear you are better.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

Thank You all for your well wishes.  No apologies were needed.  But the whole idea of a CLEAN colonoscopy just seems wrong[:D].

I did not take any offense at all John.  Nor is it a sore spot or issue for me.
mbatch729

Post by mbatch729 »

That, and taking a flight from Miami to Charleston with a Missile Tech that landed on every runway between the two, who challenged me to match him on two shots on each hop (Miami-Ft. Liquordale-West Palm- Tampa-Orlando-Jax-Chasn) made me forget about that rating totally!!! You can imagine how we deplaned. After they poured us down the ladder, we sort of staggered, holding on to each other to make sure we didn't have any mid course changes of direction, past a chief with a new draft of men coming into the ships in Charleston. He had a bigger gut then than I have now, looked at us, and bellowed to the nice, new, cherubic boot camp refugees and said - "There goes a couple of fleet sailors! Just think, in a few months, you will look like them." Whereupon Gallagher threw up. And this ain't no S**T.

LOL. Been a few years since I've heard anyone start (or end) a story w/"This is a No S**tter" story... [:D]
Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”