Simple Survey

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Post Reply
User avatar
Froonp
Posts: 7998
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:23 pm
Location: Marseilles, France
Contact:

RE: Simple Survey

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
I have been updating the spreadsheet you sent me. Right now I have 84 responses. Does that match what you have?
It just looks like you don't have my conditional colors [;)]

Image
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (77.11 KiB) Viewed 12 times
User avatar
micheljq
Posts: 791
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:03 pm
Location: Quebec
Contact:

RE: Simple Survey

Post by micheljq »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

My conclusion is that I now agree with Dave: the AIO is crucial for sales. Indeed, I see this as a personal challenge, with players saying they can play MWIF better than any AIO I can create. [:D]

Thank you for sharing this with us, so what are you planning to do concerning the final product in regards to AIO, PBEM, & NetPlay?

I just to want to say the following thing : in almost all PC games all players at the beginning will want to play against the AIO first, but as the time evolves more of them will want to play against human players, according to me, from what I saw in the past in other PC games.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
User avatar
mlees
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:14 am
Location: San Diego

RE: Simple Survey

Post by mlees »

Sorry, I just saw this thread. If the poll is still open:

I don't plan to play a human opponent, ever.

I plan to play versus the AI opponent most of the time (80%). If it is too tough, or if it is buggy, then I will shift to Solitaire exclusively.

EDIT: Even if the AI is non-funtional and I must play solitaire, I will still feel that it was/is money well spent. I have the boxed boardgame, but I don't have the room to set it up. (Even a single Theatre scenario takes up too much room.) I have only played the boardgame solitaire, so a computer version (that enforces the rules of the game ;D ) will be a huge godsend.
Tanan Fujiwara
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:09 pm

RE: Simple Survey

Post by Tanan Fujiwara »

100% vs AI
User avatar
Froonp
Posts: 7998
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:23 pm
Location: Marseilles, France
Contact:

RE: Simple Survey

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: mlees

Sorry, I just saw this thread. If the poll is still open:

I don't plan to play a human opponent, ever.

I plan to play versus the AI opponent most of the time (80%). If it is too tough, or if it is buggy, then I will shift to Solitaire exclusively.

EDIT: Even if the AI is non-funtional and I must play solitaire, I will still feel that it was/is money well spent. I have the boxed boardgame, but I don't have the room to set it up. (Even a single Theatre scenario takes up too much room.) I have only played the boardgame solitaire, so a computer version (that enforces the rules of the game ;D ) will be a huge godsend.
I believe it is still open.

But could you make your vote more precise. You only said 80% AI Opponent. What about the other 20% ?
Shannon V. OKeets
Posts: 22102
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 11:51 pm
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Contact:

RE: Simple Survey

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Froonp

ORIGINAL: mlees

Sorry, I just saw this thread. If the poll is still open:

I don't plan to play a human opponent, ever.

I plan to play versus the AI opponent most of the time (80%). If it is too tough, or if it is buggy, then I will shift to Solitaire exclusively.

EDIT: Even if the AI is non-funtional and I must play solitaire, I will still feel that it was/is money well spent. I have the boxed boardgame, but I don't have the room to set it up. (Even a single Theatre scenario takes up too much room.) I have only played the boardgame solitaire, so a computer version (that enforces the rules of the game ;D ) will be a huge godsend.
I believe it is still open.

But could you make your vote more precise. You only said 80% AI Opponent. What about the other 20% ?
It is still open.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Szilard
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2001 10:00 am

RE: Simple Survey

Post by Szilard »

AI 100%
arehb
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:37 pm

RE: Simple Survey

Post by arehb »

Solitaire 10%, AI 60%, net 10% pbem 20%.
Greywolf
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2000 10:00 am

RE: Simple Survey

Post by Greywolf »

Solitaire 15%, Hotseat 15%, Net 25%, PBEM 10%, AI 35%
Lt. Col. Ivan 'Greywolf' Kerensky
benpark
Posts: 3004
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2002 1:48 pm

RE: Simple Survey

Post by benpark »

AI Opponent 100%
"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
Nikodemus71
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 6:16 am

RE: Simple Survey

Post by Nikodemus71 »

Hi!

Solitaire: 0%
Hotseat (head to head): 0%
AI : 30 %
NetPlay : 0 % (Cannot see myself getting free time regularly for the next year or so. After that this option might eat some of the PBEM percentage unless the PBEM will support more than 2 players in the future.)
PBEM : 70%


From what I have seen on the forum this title will be very interesting.

/Niclas
User avatar
mlees
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:14 am
Location: San Diego

RE: Simple Survey

Post by mlees »

ORIGINAL: Froonp

ORIGINAL: mlees

Sorry, I just saw this thread. If the poll is still open:

I don't plan to play a human opponent, ever.

I plan to play versus the AI opponent most of the time (80%). If it is too tough, or if it is buggy, then I will shift to Solitaire exclusively.

EDIT: Even if the AI is non-funtional and I must play solitaire, I will still feel that it was/is money well spent. I have the boxed boardgame, but I don't have the room to set it up. (Even a single Theatre scenario takes up too much room.) I have only played the boardgame solitaire, so a computer version (that enforces the rules of the game ;D ) will be a huge godsend.
I believe it is still open.

But could you make your vote more precise. You only said 80% AI Opponent. What about the other 20% ?


Sorry.

80% of the time, I will play one "side" (Axis or Allies) versus an AI opponent controlling the other team.

The other 20% of the time, I will play both "sides". (Solitaire) [;)]

H2H, PBEM, and Netplay I expect will be zero percent for me.

EDIT: Is there any practical coding difference between "Head to Head" and "Solitaire"?
bresh
Posts: 936
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:10 am

RE: Simple Survey

Post by bresh »

Solitaire: 0%
Hotseat : 15% (Depends bit on if each player takes 1 nation or needs to play a side).
AI : 50 %
NetPlay/PBEM : 35%

Regards
Bresh

User avatar
paulderynck
Posts: 8207
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:27 pm
Location: Canada

RE: Simple Survey

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: mlees
EDIT: Is there any practical coding difference between "Head to Head" and "Solitaire"?
Copied from Steve's post #105 in this thread:

Hotseat has prompts built in that tell the players to switch who is seated in front of the computer (i.e., switch sides). The Axis player doesn't get to see the US Entry chits. When making simultaneous decisions (e.g., air-to-air combat), the players should not see what the other side is doing.
Paul
Greywolf
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2000 10:00 am

RE: Simple Survey

Post by Greywolf »

So it is nearly always better to player solitaire in hotseat mode.... but it is also a bit slower with much more clicking.
 
I tried both mode with CWiF and finally settle for a mixed mode with hotseat and only 2 players rather than hotseat and 7 players :p It is easier this way not to always react the best...
Lt. Col. Ivan 'Greywolf' Kerensky
User avatar
Jagdtiger14
Posts: 1686
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:58 pm
Location: Miami Beach

RE: Simple Survey

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

For the AI to kick butt against any human opponent, all you have to do is rig the die rolls in the AI's favor...which spoils the fun in my opinion. After a few games the AI can be figured out and become useless. I dont understand why people would rather play an AI than a human oppoent??? To get a more accurate feedback for sales, you should expand this survey to include the WiF list moderated by Devin. I know there are a few of guys on here that are active over there as well...like Patrice and Steve Balk. Over there you have the hard core WiF grognards who I think(I could be surprised though) would predominantly wish to play NetPlay, PBEM, or Hot Seat. And probably double your feed back from what this survey got. Also, its easy to do on that list since there is a voting feature. Steve or Patrice could make it happen.

My vote if it still counts is:

NetPlay: 80%
PBEM: 7%
Hot Seat: 10%
AI: 1%
Solitaire: 2%

C

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Survey
I ran a simple survey of the World in Flames forum members asking which mode(s) of play they expected to use, as a percentage of the time they spend playing MWIF. This was motivated by my conversation with Dave about how important the AI Opponent would be. My guess prior to this survey was that the break down would be 50% NetPlay, 30% AIO, 20% PBEM. I was completely wrong.

The scrren shots are taken of spreadsheet that Patrice created for summarizing the responses from this survey. As I write this we have had 86 players respond; that is a healthy simple size, though perhaps biased, since the survey is of active forum members. Patrice used the word 'votes', which is imprecise. I think of them as 'responses' - since no one is getting elected.[;)]

The dominant mode of play is going to be AIO (52%) with PBEM second (23%), NetPlay third (17%), with Solitaire and Head-to-head making up the rest. You can see these numbers in the first page of the spreadsheet.

From the comments players made when completing the survey, Solitaire, and to a lesser extent AIO, will be used to gain experience with the game so they can play against human opponents using PBEM and NetPlay. But there are over 60% of the customers who expect to play against the AI most of the time. If you look at the bar chart, you’ll see that AIO overwhelms the other modes of play for use Predominantly (75% or more of playing time). It is also equal to the sum of all the other modes of play for use Most-of-the-time (50% to 74% of playing time).

Overall, PBEM beats out NetPlay slightly, and almost 90% of the respondents had zero interest in Head-to-head play. Solitaire use is apparently expected to be a learning/planning tool rather than a means of playing the entire game from start to finish.

My conclusion is that I now agree with Dave: the AIO is crucial for sales. Indeed, I see this as a personal challenge, with players saying they can play MWIF better than any AIO I can create. [:D]
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
User avatar
mlees
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:14 am
Location: San Diego

RE: Simple Survey

Post by mlees »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

ORIGINAL: mlees
EDIT: Is there any practical coding difference between "Head to Head" and "Solitaire"?
Copied from Steve's post #105 in this thread:

Hotseat has prompts built in that tell the players to switch who is seated in front of the computer (i.e., switch sides). The Axis player doesn't get to see the US Entry chits. When making simultaneous decisions (e.g., air-to-air combat), the players should not see what the other side is doing.

Thanks for the info.
User avatar
mlees
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:14 am
Location: San Diego

RE: Simple Survey

Post by mlees »

Jagdtiger14, at the risk of straying offtopic, I wish to point out a couple reasons why I plan to play solo/solitaire:

1) Extremely flexible scheduling.

I am not "commited" to any game. I can play as much (or as little) as I want, whenever I am in the mood. If I were to enroll in a PBEM game, I know that I am expected to turn in my moves in a timely fasion, and on very busy days this would "hang over" me like some deadline for a class or work assignment. I can abandon games without angering anyone.

2) Liberal "mulligan" policy.

I can restore the game to a previous save state when I make a spectacularly dumb move. The computer rarely complains. 

By the way, IIRC, Steve et. al are not programing the AI to cheat on dice rolls.
Shannon V. OKeets
Posts: 22102
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 11:51 pm
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Contact:

RE: Simple Survey

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: mlees

Jagdtiger14, at the risk of straying offtopic, I wish to point out a couple reasons why I plan to play solo/solitaire:

1) Extremely flexible scheduling.

I am not "commited" to any game. I can play as much (or as little) as I want, whenever I am in the mood. If I were to enroll in a PBEM game, I know that I am expected to turn in my moves in a timely fasion, and on very busy days this would "hang over" me like some deadline for a class or work assignment. I can abandon games without angering anyone.

2) Liberal "mulligan" policy.

I can restore the game to a previous save state when I make a spectacularly dumb move. The computer rarely complains. 

By the way, IIRC, Steve et. al are not programing the AI to cheat on dice rolls.
I consider having the AIO cheat in any way an abomination.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Hartford688
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

RE: Simple Survey

Post by Hartford688 »

100% vs AI
Post Reply

Return to “World in Flames”