Engine Factories in AE

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Q-Ball

Engine Factories in AE

Post by Q-Ball »

Question. I have read that AE features more advanced engine types as the game goes on for Japan.

Will engine factories auto-upgrade to more advanced types? Or, do you have to "pay" for the upgrades in supplies?

Can you R&D advanced engine types, similar to aircraft?
Japan

RE: Engine Factories in AE

Post by Japan »

I have the same question as him above.
AAR VIDEO
THE FIRST YEAR + THE SECOND YEAR
tm.asp?m=2133035&mpage=1&key=&
Dili

Post by Dili »

This whole airplane engine thing is something that i could have well passed without, it is the only place where i think Witp go too far. Doesn't make any sense to manage production of an airplane engine since this isn't an industrial detailed game. It is neither a raw material or an end product.
pad152

Post by pad152 »

My guess is Gary Grigsby just carried over the aircraft/engine production model from his earlier Bombing of the Reich game. Production for the Japanese player looks to be more of a headache in AE, which is historicaly correct, Japanese production was a mess even before the US started bombing it!

tigercub

Post by tigercub »

I agree wast of time.I am a die hard wargamer but dont think many games will every be finished in the one day by day full campaign of AE the only one i really want to play ....but i can hope.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Question. I have read that AE features more advanced engine types as the game goes on for Japan.

Will engine factories auto-upgrade to more advanced types? Or, do you have to "pay" for the upgrades in supplies?

Can you R&D advanced engine types, similar to aircraft?

The provision is in there to allow engine factories to upgrade, however all the factories in scen 1 only upgrade to themselves (which means they dont auto upgrade). I could be wrong on this, I am a far cry from being an expert on the AE editor.

As for the R&D, again, no expert on the editor, but it appears that the answer to this is yes.

Attachments
aa.jpg
aa.jpg (60.16 KiB) Viewed 2 times
pad152

Post by pad152 »

It's too bad engine production was not tied to aircraft production, so if you change aircracft type A to type B, engine factories would change along with the new aircraft type!
Local Yokel

Post by Local Yokel »

Looks as though much will depend on the number of factories there are at the outset for the later engine types, and whether they start in unrepaired state.  It appears that in AE Japanese players may well face the same burden of converting 'early' engine plants to 'late' as they already do in CHS.  It can be done, of course, but will require a substantial outlay of supply.

The ability to do r&d on engines would be quite an innovation.  I'm surprised to hear that apparently this is possible, because presumably it will have involved a degree of code re-writing, so as to subject the 'into production' date to the same kind of tests as are applied to airframes that have been made the subject of r&d.
Barb

Post by Barb »

I hope there is no need to build also replacement engines for each aircraft [:)]. As each engine was due to change and rebuilt after some 200-300 flying hours grounding planes for days (if not weeks)
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

I bet that in 3-4 weeks we can find out answers for these questions. [:D]
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

I bet that in 3-4 weeks we can find out answers for these questions. [:D]

Is it November already? [X(]
herwin

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: Barb

I hope there is no need to build also replacement engines for each aircraft [:)]. As each engine was due to change and rebuilt after some 200-300 flying hours grounding planes for days (if not weeks)

Japanese aviation maintenance staff planning was very poor. Aircraft needing refurbishment were usually pushed to the side of the airbase and abandoned, not even being cannibalised for parts in any organised way. One of those areas beneath the samurai.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
Barb

Post by Barb »

I agree with planning. But with refurbishment and cannibalised I cannot.
Refurbishment is "standard operational procedure" for all aircrafts. Or do you think they just had all their airlines flying the planes until something was broken then scrapping the aircraft? For military this is also a must because combat aircrafts are usually a bit more costly. If you say that they havent parts on hand when they were needed to overhaul the planes, that would be OK - we all now those "rear area rats", "snafu" and allied LOC interdiction campaign hampered this. They may produced lower amounts of spare parts then allies, but surely they did produce them!

As for cannibalisation - are you trying to say, that initiative of NCOs was completely forbidden? Think of it: You have 10 pilots and only 3 operational planes with other 10 damaged lying nearby. What is the first thing to do? Get parts to repair the damaged ones. No parts at hand or en route? Well take the most damaged ones and cannibalise them.
Serving your emperor properly is to keep his men fighting, not let them to wait for proper supplies to arrive!
herwin

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: Barb

I agree with planning. But with refurbishment and cannibalised I cannot.
Refurbishment is "standard operational procedure" for all aircrafts. Or do you think they just had all their airlines flying the planes until something was broken then scrapping the aircraft? For military this is also a must because combat aircrafts are usually a bit more costly. If you say that they havent parts on hand when they were needed to overhaul the planes, that would be OK - we all now those "rear area rats", "snafu" and allied LOC interdiction campaign hampered this. They may produced lower amounts of spare parts then allies, but surely they did produce them!

As for cannibalisation - are you trying to say, that initiative of NCOs was completely forbidden? Think of it: You have 10 pilots and only 3 operational planes with other 10 damaged lying nearby. What is the first thing to do? Get parts to repair the damaged ones. No parts at hand or en route? Well take the most damaged ones and cannibalise them.
Serving your emperor properly is to keep his men fighting, not let them to wait for proper supplies to arrive!

If it wasn't planned for, it didn't happen. It wasn't planned for. There was a little cannibalisation, but nothing organised. When we captured Japanese airfields in the South Pacific, they were always littered with aircraft that could have been made operable with some spares.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

ORIGINAL: herwin

If it wasn't planned for, it didn't happen. It wasn't planned for. There was a little cannibalisation, but nothing organised. When we captured Japanese airfields in the South Pacific, they were always littered with aircraft that could have been made operable with some spares.

I agree with Herwin here.

It is the way it was for the most part.

What American or Allied forces would do normally is not the same as the Japanese would do. It was a totally different mindset.
Flipper

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”