Crazy Idea?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

marky

Crazy Idea?

Post by marky »

has anyone considered the possibilities of WITP 2 being akin to Battlestations Midway letting you jump into anything you want and fight?

jump into an infantry unit hitting the beach...
jump into a carrier squadron at Midway...
Jump into a sub attacking a convoy....
jump into a dugout with Doug[:D](if you dont get that you havent been here long enough)[:D]

the possibilities are endless Matrix!!![:D]

SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

RE: Crazy Idea?

Post by SS Hauptsturmfuhrer »

Straight from the strategic level to the tactical is kinduv a big jump.  I think it's kinduv like the President of the USA getting a part-time job making sandwiches at a Subway outlet to supplement his income.  
marky

Post by marky »

would be interesting to see though, on both counts [:D]
Joshuatree

Post by Joshuatree »

Yes many have tried something similar... and failed IMO. It's either a wargame, or an arcade game, apparently there is no middleground. Moreover, a game like WiTP2 with a similator, would be an immense undertaking, surpassing the budget of most small companies. And the guys who like the similation/ FPS aspect of this game usually don't like the strategic aspect of it (not fast enough), and vice versa.
It *would* be awesome if it worked out though.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I think Forge of Freedom pulled it off well. Same with CoG:EE (although I've yet to "get into this one"...waiting on my manual!!) The company seemed to have made strategic level games with tactical battles and very successfully.

That isn't to say it works for all historical perioeds...but they've done it in such a way that it's actually enjoyable and probably what makes them great games as they cater to people who want both...not only that, I often find the tactical battles are a welcome respite from the day to day chores of grand strategy!
Alba gu' brath
marky

Post by marky »

ORIGINAL: Joshuatree

Yes many have tried something similar... and failed IMO. It's either a wargame, or an arcade game, apparently there is no middleground. Moreover, a game like WiTP2 with a similator, would be an immense undertaking, surpassing the budget of most small companies. And the guys who like the similation/ FPS aspect of this game usually don't like the strategic aspect of it (not fast enough), and vice versa.
It *would* be awesome if it worked out though.

indeed. it would be the ultimate wargame [:D]
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: marky

has anyone considered the possibilities of WITP 2 being akin to Battlestations Midway letting you jump into anything you want and fight?

jump into a dugout with Doug[:D](if you dont get that you havent been here long enough)[:D]

The horror... The Horror!

ORIGINAL: SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Straight from the strategic level to the tactical is kinduv a big jump. I think it's kinduv like the President of the USA getting a part-time job making sandwiches at a Subway outlet to supplement his income.
But... but it was *great* for Close Combat series! Look how awesome is the strategic layer of CCV!

On a more serious note... I have a distinct impression that WitP series already have too much stuff for one person to manage.
People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

ORIGINAL: marky

First off , the developers would have to at least implement a stop at the operational level before making the quantum leap to tactical or the concept would have no relevance.

Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Muzzle Velocity was interesting though: player could move formations around in tactical scale, micromanage single units here and there, and even jump into any ground unit (whether tank or grunt) and blast away. I used to like the game, but it's DOS and works only at 60 Hz refresh rate which gives me headache...
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

I have a better idea[:D]. WPO2 that puts the player in position of a high level commander and attempts to model his abilities to influence the war and information that he gets as realistically as possible[:D].
People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

not being dumb I know you know as well as I that Tactical within games such as FoF make the game much more of a operational level game. I can not speak for CoGEE but FoF with its tactical battles just does not work for me. The problem was made worse by two factors.

1. For most of the war it was the ONLY way the North had a chance to win a battle. I used to choose Tactical play a few turns and then let the computer finish and most of the time I as the north and the computer as the South ended in a North victory. I also seemed to have a lot of them tactical battles and they get old in a hurry.

2. The AI South knew that there were 3 cities the north had to take to win and would mostly cover Richmond. It always struck me as a kind of "Risk" thing with both armies going around swapping them areas around Richmond like some darn Risk game LOL.

Now they come along using an "improved" tactical battle system put into what looks to be a very complex game. To me Grand strategic means your at the top give the orders but don't have the micromanagement options like this game does. To me the simple economy is to simple and the complex is to complex.

Then there are those interesting little rules like your units zooming back to your own Nation after a surrender. I do love one thing and that is reading about all the little things that happen to players.

So for me no thanks. I do want to get into PBEM and have a couple of players lined up for the new computer War in Europe a simple I move send, you move send etc,
but then I am just an old fart who goes back to the Apple II 8K ram days (SIGH).
You may not like it but a good example of a grand strategic game might be the new SaS game (when they get the kinks worked out) could be it.

to each his own.

Madgamer
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

Ultimate war game?......Come on you were not born yesterday or the day before that. Yes there is an "Ultimate war game" in the mind of each of us. There is an Ultimate
WitP in the mind of all of us that love it but it is not the same in each of our down and dirty wargame souls. (SIGH). It is a thought to think about on those quiet moments after shutting down the computer after a long session of WitP. I have my version of the Ultimate WitP game to and it keeps me warm at night

Madgamer
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Post by SS Hauptsturmfuhrer »

ORIGINAL: madgamer

Ultimate war game?......Come on you were not born yesterday or the day before that. Yes there is an "Ultimate war game" in the mind of each of us. There is an Ultimate
WitP in the mind of all of us that love it but it is not the same in each of our down and dirty wargame souls. (SIGH). It is a thought to think about on those quiet moments after shutting down the computer after a long session of WitP. I have my version of the Ultimate WitP game to and it keeps me warm at night

Madgamer

How about having lifesize ships made out of thin, scrap aluminum with skeleton crews wearing protective gear out in the ocean and then we fire rubber shells at each other's ships until stuff gets too warped and bent to continue?
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

ORIGINAL: SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
How about having lifesize ships made out of thin, scrap aluminum with skeleton crews wearing protective gear out in the ocean and then we fire rubber shells at each other's ships until stuff gets too warped and bent to continue?

Now that would be a great game-the fees would be prohibitive for most though.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

Grell

Post by Grell »

If you want strategic and then tactical try the total war series.

Regards,

Grell

Return to “General Discussion”