Do you ever get medieval on people?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Do you ever get medieval on people?

Post by SS Hauptsturmfuhrer »

WAIVER: The content of the following post contains phrases and references regarding a product not known to be conducting business with the host of this domain. The author wishes it to be known that this is neither an endorsement nor an attempt to divert readers' attentions away from products distributed by the host.

Okay with the paperwork done, we got some other topics going like good PC air war games, good space games and what now. How about medieval? It was a fun, intriguing part of history for everyone but those in it.

About Gamespot, a long time ago I tried a medieval era game called Lords of the Realms 3 which was said to be pure rubbish in player comments but Gamespot rated it like 8.4 which miffed some of the readers. I've never tried #1 and #2 cause they were too long ago but they are said to be classics. I decided to believe Gamespot's positive review, gave said game a try, and it turned out to be really good for when you need a hit of medieval action. You can like reinforce your castles into hulking stone behemoths and put some defending troops in it and control whatever fights you want in real time or just let the AI handle fights. At the same time, you keep sending out troops to attack and stuff so you can have many fights happening simultaneously in real time. It's cool to construct a fortress and then just let an invading army butt heads with your defenses while I'm having a feed (in real life). People scrapping it out while I'm stuffing myself with chow is good for morale. The AI is quite good too and aggressively tries to whoop you as well as it handles your own troops reasonably well. There's a Black Prince campaign in it too. I never played stuff like Rome Total War cause I'm not into those kind of super epic games. This game is much easier to manage cause the makers focused on minimizing micromanagement which is big factor when I select games.
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

RE: Do you ever get medieval on people?

Oh ya, I should include a link to the review I mentioned in my post....

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/lordsoftherealm3/player_review.html?id=188323
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

Lords of the Realm 2 was one of the best PC games I've ever played. A perfect blend of city management with strategic campaigning and tactical warfare (real time).

Everything was done so well that the "just one more turn" feel was enoromous. The tactical fighting was nail biting (as was beseiging and breaking into the enemy's castles - #2 had a brilliant expansion in that regards). Then you just couldn't wait to get back to your cities, to build them, nurture them and just get a heavy dose of "zen" whilst the seasons kept rolling in - with the money and the chance to build your armies. The whole idea of population loyalty, war weariness etc., rebuilding a recent conquest from scratch. Brilliant stuff made ever so simple with a great UI. LotR2 was a winner.

When I bought LotR3 I prayed that they had just taken the winning elements of LotR2 and made it better - alas they didn't. LotR3 is a totally different game in every way.

It's title is misleading in that regard and most importantly, for me, it took away all of the fun of its predecessor.

All LotR3 needed to do was improve on its predecessor's real time combat AI. But you just can't hold back some game designers - "if it's workin' break it, if it's broke ignore it" [:D]
String

Post by String »

Mount and Blade ofcourse.

Here is one of the trailers.
You control just one character, but can (and should) recruit NPC allies and soldiers, conquer lands and serve other lords and much more. A great sandbox game.

There are also a LOT of mods, some of them historical, such as the Hundred Years War mod.

Surface combat TF fanboy
andym

Post by andym »

Got to say that LOR 2 is far better then LOR 3.Shame i cant find my copy of LOR2.[:@]
Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

ORIGINAL: String

That game looks pretty cool in the video. Lots of killing. I bet the rig requirements are out of control though cause it's a new 3rd person game.
Widell

Post by Widell »

ORIGINAL: SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

That game looks pretty cool in the video. Lots of killing. I bet the rig requirements are out of control though cause it's a new 3rd person game.

Rig req's are not too bad as I run it on a 3 year old laptop without problems. It's a pretty cool game, and also extensively moddable for those that are into that. Also, you are not tied to a storyline, but can choose what you want to do in the game.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

When I wanna "go medieval", I fire up Medieval:Total War (with the excellent XL Mod). I played a game earlier today, and my Volga Bulgars, an Islamic faction, got stomped by the infidel Kievan Rus within 30 years. My first-ever complete destruction, and the first time I saw the ending video, with my capital in flames. Next time I'll take a wholesome Catholic faction, like the Holy Roman Empire. [:'(]
SireChaos

Post by SireChaos »

Oh, not at all. Requirements are pretty tame. Try it. You can get the demo at the Taleworlds homepage.

I haven´t had this much fun at personal combat since Oblivion - and it is definitely the best simulation of mounted combat I have ever seen.
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

Yep, I picked up Mount & Blade when it was dirt cheap on Gamersgate a month or so back...really, really fun game. I'm looking forward to some of the really ambitious mod projects being finished, too.
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

ORIGINAL: SireChaos

Oh, not at all. Requirements are pretty tame. Try it. You can get the demo at the Taleworlds homepage.

I haven´t had this much fun at personal combat since Oblivion - and it is definitely the best simulation of mounted combat I have ever seen.

Man this game just looks awesome. And the rig requirements are oddly low....

System:
Windows 98/2000/ME/XP/Vista, Pentium IV 1.4 GHz or equivalent
RAM:
512 MB
Video Memory:
64 MB
Hard Drive Space:
700 MB

String

Post by String »

ORIGINAL: SireChaos

Man this game just looks awesome. And the rig requirements are oddly low....

System:
Windows 98/2000/ME/XP/Vista, Pentium IV 1.4 GHz or equivalent
RAM:
512 MB
Video Memory:
64 MB
Hard Drive Space:
700 MB

It's because you can set your own battle size and tweak other settings as well. For those large 200-300 man battles you need a good rig though, which shouldn't be surprising ;).
Surface combat TF fanboy
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Hah, it won't run on my comp as it requires too much ram[:D].
People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.
sameera

Post by sameera »

Well I mean I think especially one of the things is (you know) many of the guest artists that were part of the stories is shown in the stories and the script because they're constantly changing and evolving and (unintelligible) that's one of the things that really works about it is the variety that this and that the show presents because when you think Arthurian legend and you think about Merlin and Arthur, you think of about that period in history. And what's great is (just a) an idea started with that and twisted it and turned it on its head and made it into something completely new and different. So I think that's what was so exciting about it. And plus I get to do (logic) every day and sort of go through adventures and you find yourself, you know, in different places all the time seeing things that you would never see under any other circumstance. And the challenge of playing such a historical character as Merlin presented in a way that we've never seen before. And I mean all those factors just made it a really exciting project to be a part of.

Anguille

Post by Anguille »

I think that Lords of the realm 3 is a pretty good game with a fairly challenging AI...but it is a bad successor to Lords 2 in the sense, as others said, that the game is completely different. The MP works very well too...

When i want to go medieval, my fav game is Knights of Honor
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

Knights of Honour was an excellent if somewhat overlooked game
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

I bought Mount and Blade when it was in early beta and it's always been a great game and well supported by the huge community at Taleworlds. The mounted battles are really good fun to take part in. I'm not convinced the game improved much when it was finally picked up by the publisher though. I seemed to get more fun out of the beta and haven't played it much since release.

I'm sat here looking at my original copies of Lords of the Realm II and the Siege Pack addon. This thread got me up in the attic to find them. I haven't had this installed since I used Win98 and don't even know if it will run under XP, but I'll give it a go. It was a great game iirc. Lords of the Realm III never appealed to me because of all the negative press it got. Even players and fans of LotR II said III wasn't much good.
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
Anguille

Post by Anguille »

ORIGINAL: Jim_H
Lords of the Realm III never appealed to me because of all the negative press it got. Even players and fans of LotR II said III wasn't much good.
Now...this was all the problem for that game. Lords III was especially not what Lords II fans / players wanted. It's a completely different game...it's just set in the same time period. What i am trying to say is that you won't find an objective opinion from fans of Lords II as they were the most disappointed because they were expecting a different game/sequel.

Cheers
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

ORIGINAL: Anguille
Now...this was all the problem for that game. Lords III was especially not what Lords II fans / players wanted. It's a completely different game...it's just set in the same time period. What i am trying to say is that you won't find an objective opinion from fans of Lords II as they were the most disappointed because they were expecting a different game/sequel.

Cheers
I could never quite work out whether it was a good game providing you'd never played LotR II or whether it was just a mediocre game in its own right. Gog have III for $5.99, so I might just buy it for that price and judge for myself [:)]
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

ORIGINAL: andym
Got to say that LOR 2 is far better then LOR 3.Shame i cant find my copy of LOR2.[:@]
My copy installs and seems to play fine on XP. You can have my original when I've had a play if you like? Do you want the Siege Pack with it? PM me your address and I'll post it to you in the next couple of weeks.

Return to “General Discussion”