A Bug Sticky?

This sequel to the award-winning Crown of Glory takes Napoleonic Grand Strategy to a whole new level. This represents a complete overhaul of the original release, including countless improvements and innovations ranging from detailed Naval combat and brigade-level Land combat to an improved AI, unit upgrades, a more detailed Strategic Map and a new simplified Economy option. More historical AND more fun than the original!

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

barbarossa2

A Bug Sticky?

Post by barbarossa2 »

I would highly recommend that WCS start a "bug" thread with a sticky, so that we can report POSSIBLE bugs in THAT thread alone, so that it doesn't appear to passers by that Crown of Glory is Bug-Ridden. Because it is not. It is less buggy than many major games I have played in the past 2 years, and I have to say that so far, I did not have any "bug" lead to a crash or cause problems with playability that diminished my enjoyment of the game. So hats off to WCS. However, I think there needs to be a dedicated "bug" report thread that people can feel assured WCS looks into for work on priorities on its patches. WCS, can we please have this? I don't want to report every "bug" with a separate topic on the front page of your forums. It would look silly. And scattered around, it wouldn't even do WCS any good. They should be put in one place and have any threads which pop up dealing with them moved there as well.

Through my enthusiasm for your game, it seems a group of about 6-7 friends are considering picking the game up for serious PBEM play. I have told the guy I know best that it seems that many of the issues he felt existed in the original CoG have been addressed, and that in roughly 24 hours of play, I haven't hit any serious bugs yet. The group stopped playing the initial CoG because they may have felt that there were some issues with bugs in PBEM. It is also because of those "bugs" they had not returned. As such, I am hoping that WCS works to gather the reported "bugs" (minor as they are) and work them out, because I would hate to get so excited about this game and then disappoint this group of friends.

On top of that, this game is so close to what my high school buddies and I liked to play that I have already contacted them about playing a separate CoG PBEM and they are very interested (and have yet to purchase the game).

In effect, my experiences with the PBEM I am currently involved in are a "test" to see if roughly 10 or more people will be getting it.

Now, if these guys like it, who knows how many of them will recommend it to THEIR circles of friends! :)

I can promise everyone reading this, that the game is a blast. It competes very well with other offerings in "Computer Wargaming". And there are not many "potential" bugs that I have found. I just want to make sure I don't let my friends down with this tip.

-A fan of WCS and CoG:EE
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori*.
-Wilfred Owen
*It is sweet and right to die for your country.
Gil R.

RE: A Bug Sticky?

Post by Gil R. »

barbarossa2,
I definitely understand and appreciate the spirit of your suggestion, but here are the concerns about such a thread:
1) While many bug reports end up being just that -- someone reports a bug, and we add it to our to-do list -- some reports generate discussions. This is also true of things that are reported as bugs but aren't bugs (usually by new players). So, a single thread with multiple reports and multiple discussions would become cumbersome.
2) Such a thread, for the reasons just outlined, would end up eventually having dozens and dozens of posts (if not hundreds, partly through the artificial inflation caused by non-bug bug reports), so people considering the game might be frightened off by a bugs thread with 100, 200, or more posts in it.
3) Even once bugs are fixed the posts about them would remain in that thread, again giving a mistaken impression of how buggy the game is.

With the current system, bug-report threads rarely exceed 5-10 posts and soon sink out of sight. Also, as I hope people realize, bug reports belong in the "Support" sub-forum rather than on the main page, so they're usually at least somewhat out of sight.

That said, if Eric -- who's the one dealing with all the bugs -- thinks it's worth a try we could do it. I figured I'd point out some of the arguments against this, though.

I'm glad you find COG:EE relatively bugless. That's especially good to read, since just before coming here I saw someone making the absurd claim over at civfanatics.com that COG:EE is "not working 'out of the box'." (Perhaps the guy thought it's a music CD, and stuck it in his car stereo?)
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
barbarossa2

Post by barbarossa2 »

I understand your points. It is just that for fear of giving CoG:EE a bum rap, I don't even want to report the "potential" bugs because I know that I am working hard to list them all so that they can be corrected for your first patch (which is when I will suggest to my friends it is time to buy--nothing against CoG:EE, just that's the way the gaming industry is).

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori*.
-Wilfred Owen
*It is sweet and right to die for your country.
Mus

Post by Mus »

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

That's especially good to read, since just before coming here I saw someone making the absurd claim over at civfanatics.com that COG:EE is "not working 'out of the box'."

Hmm...

Mines not working out of the box either.

I downloaded it the first day it was available... didnt get no stinkin box.

[:D]

I wonder if he knows that COG:EE is an expansion/polishing of a previously released fully working game? I dont get some people.

Mindset, Tactics, Skill, Equipment
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

We have a tech support sub-forum specifically for bug reports. It make it easier for the developers to notice them, please post all bug reports there. We prefer separate threads for each report.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition”