Questions About Game Mechanics

This sequel to the award-winning Crown of Glory takes Napoleonic Grand Strategy to a whole new level. This represents a complete overhaul of the original release, including countless improvements and innovations ranging from detailed Naval combat and brigade-level Land combat to an improved AI, unit upgrades, a more detailed Strategic Map and a new simplified Economy option. More historical AND more fun than the original!

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

Anthropoid

Questions About Game Mechanics

Post by Anthropoid »

Quoting myself from another thread, but I'm concerned if I don't bump these questions in a new thread, they will get overlooked having been posted at the end of a thread started by another member.
Okay, so in the interest of getting more substantive feedback, I'm gonna quote myself from the thread I started in the War Room . . . not the best place to ask for newb-like guidance, but then you don't have a "Help! I'm a Fricking Nuewb W/O a CLUE!?" section yet . . .

quote:

I'm noticing that my units have very low % chance to change formations. I think that this might partly be because I've bolstered my units with troops militias. In any event, these starting troops in 1792 are even more useless than in the start of Forge of Freedom.

Any suggestions on how I can get their ability to change from Column to Line up above 10 and 20%?

It seems the time frames for each "turn" in the Brigade Detail Battles are quite a bit different than in FoF too, so maybe the idea is that it might take hours and hours to get your units are formed up?

I don't see my Generals attached to particular Brigades. Can I not move a General from one unit in Detailed Battle to another? In FoF it is the 'g' key IIRC.

So I notice that you can transfer troops from one Div (they are Divisions right?) into others. So I moved a bunch of Divs (both Militia and Infantry) to Champagne where they rendezvoused with Swiss Guard and Armee du Centre. I attached Swiss Corps to A Centre and got my Generals sorted out with the best dudes in there commandin' . . . then I beefed up my best units (the ones that start with spec abilities). This all took June, July. Created a Supply Depot in Champagne July 1792, and then end of Aug 1792 I sent my beefed up Armee Centre over into Luxembourg to pick a fight.

I think I started out with a ~100 to 45 numerical advantage.

When the battle came I chose Brigade Level Detail, which is pretty cool. Applying my basic brilliance at this tactical engine from FoF is not working quite right . . . so I'm reallyl struggling to kick some Austrians out of Lux. My questions:

1) Not sure what a Cav Screen is good for?
2) Why do these losers only have a 10 or at best 20% chance to change formation?
3) Where my Generals? I got Doumerriez, Bournelon-whats-his-face and Duc De Long-john-silver attached, but I'm not seeing them attached to Brigades on teh battlefield??
4) Can I not transfer my Generals around to different Brigades with the 'g' key like in FoF?
5) Can I not try to get out-of-combat units back into combat once per round with that little button like in FoF?
6) How does Square Formation compare to Line?
7) Is fighting in Column about as bad a thing to do in COGEE as it is in FoF?

8) Is there a way to get depleted Divs to replenish without transferring troops from other units? Do units not slowly replenish from being in Supply like they do in FoF?

9) How come no button to alternate supply settings? You know: off, low, mid, high supply priority or whatever it is?
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
Joram

RE: Questions About Game Mechanics

Post by Joram »

I'll try to answer some of these

1) Cav blocks line of site through it but more importantly vs the AI, it slows them down so they don't just rush up to you.
2) Heavily dependant on morale and upgrades.  There's a certain national upgrade that works (Sorry name escapes me but it's obvious from it's description) as well as the 'organized' individual upgrade.   Also, fatigue matters as well as if you are safe behind the lines.  Also, at least from disordered, cav have a very tough time getting back to an ordered formation
3) You should certainly see them unless you are somehow affected by battlefied limits.
4) Yes, 'g' is still the right key.
5) There is no out-of-command feature like there is in FoF.  The closest thing is disordered in which case all units can attempt to become good ordered by simply trying to change formation into column (easier) or line.
6) Square is only really useful against cav charges.  Fire combat is at 1/4 and there are also extra casualties when fired upon due to the denser formation.  So as a matter of course, I don't do square unless I absolutely have to.   Remember the scale here as well ...
7) Yes, fighting in column is bad though there is a column fighting upgrade that increases your fire output 25%.
8) Only via replacements
9) Different system, different scale.  Just the rules of the game really though eric can provide more rationale than I can.

Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Thanks Joram!
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
Mus

Post by Mus »

Regarding replacements, you set your draft size, upper and lower age limits and training time in the economy screen.

You will then want to make sure your country is making enough food to replace the population factors that will be subtracted from random provinces through your drafting.  I personally try to set my age limits and training time so that Im getting the most I can of the best quality replacements I can (4.5 morale).  19 to 44 or 43, 16 months training time IIRC.

As France very shortly after the revolution if your troops are extremely low quality conscripts as I would imagine they would be you may need more troops and a lower quality might not matter.
Mindset, Tactics, Skill, Equipment
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

So other than setting those things in the Economy/Nation control panel, I don't need to do anything else? The replacements (from drafting) will get allocated to the depleted units in a semi-random fashion?

I ~kinda~ don't like that. I liked that in FoF you could set one unit to get really high supply so that most replacement troops went there, and set others to zero so that nothing went there.

If you sent a unit to forage only, does that mean they will not get any replacement troops?
Joram

Post by Joram »

That is correct or you can put them in a city and you get replacements without paying the supply costs.
Franck

Post by Franck »

Foraging unit don't get replacement
balto

Post by balto »

ORIGINAL: Franck

Foraging unit don't get replacement

Is this correct?

Return to “Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition”