Few questions before purchasing

This sequel to the award-winning Crown of Glory takes Napoleonic Grand Strategy to a whole new level. This represents a complete overhaul of the original release, including countless improvements and innovations ranging from detailed Naval combat and brigade-level Land combat to an improved AI, unit upgrades, a more detailed Strategic Map and a new simplified Economy option. More historical AND more fun than the original!

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

slybelle

Few questions before purchasing

Post by slybelle »

I'm strongly considering purchasing this game. I was an original COG owner but to be honest kind of overwhelmed me. I'm hoping this one might be a little easier to manage. Before I do take the plunge, few questions:

1) How many turns does a typical game last? What time period does a turn represent? Does the game end at a specific turn or can you keep going?

2) Is achieving victory mostly based on conquering the world through war? Or can one win the game more peacefully?

3) I noticed on some screenshots that showed the recap of all battles and it showed casualties broken up by total casualties and my casualties in the battles. Any reason another column wasn't added to show the enemy's casualties instead of having to subtract that in your head?

4) Is the discount for previous owners a limited time offer or forever?

Thanks!
tgb

RE: Few questions before purchasing

Post by tgb »

1) You can adjust victory conditions for any scenario. The default is that the first nation to obtain 1000 glory points wins, but if nobody does that by the default time limit (typically 6-10 years depending on the scenario), highest gp total is declared the winner.

2)You can get gp by having superior culture, superior national morale, etc, but the greatest number of gp's comes from victory in battle and winning wars. You also have political goals - set provinces that award gps every turn of you control them. They can be taken by conquest, but can also be won over if their country offers to become a protectorate. If you are big enough, you can declare yourself an empire and get gp's every turn for that.

Theoretically it's tough to win without fighting a single war, but I suppose it's possible. I'm playing the 1792 Poland scenario, and all you have to do is hold on to your core provinces and defend yourself from your aggressive neighbors. One year in, and I've fended off attacks by both Russia and Prussia, putting me solidly in the lead with almost 400 gp's

3 $ 4) Have no idea.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Slybelle,

The Emperor's Edition is a new game in many ways, particularly in terms of usability. Interface improvements, tons of tooltips, in-game help with the F1 key and video tutorials as well as a simplified economic model make it a lot easier to handle than the original.

There is no expiration date planned for the previous owner discount, since each previous serial number can only be exchanged for one discount coupon.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Joram

Post by Joram »

Tgb summarized 1&2 adequately but to be frank, it would be extraordinairily difficult to win the game via peaceful methods.  You're going to have to fight a war or two or be extremely skillful and lucky playing off other nations against each other.  Which in all the games I've done, I've been able to manage once.  It was quite fun but it's hard to do.  Of course, diplomacy never was my strong suit, lol so you might have a bit more luck.

3) That was actually changed, it now shows total attacker and defender casualties
slybelle

Post by slybelle »

Thanks everybody for your responses.

Just one clarification on my comment about winning peacefully. I guess what I really meant is I know you have to go to war but was more concerned with having to completly take over the world to win. I would prefer to have wars and other non-war methods to gain victory without completly relying on one or the other. From what people have stated, seems like that is possible.

One answer I haven't seen yet, is what time period is representing by a turn? Week? Month?

Thanks!
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Turns on the strategic map represent one month of time.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Russian Guard

Post by Russian Guard »

ORIGINAL: slybelle

Thanks everybody for your responses.

Just one clarification on my comment about winning peacefully. I guess what I really meant is I know you have to go to war but was more concerned with having to completly take over the world to win. I would prefer to have wars and other non-war methods to gain victory without completly relying on one or the other. From what people have stated, seems like that is possible.

One answer I haven't seen yet, is what time period is representing by a turn? Week? Month?

Thanks!

Nope, do not have to take over the world to win. I play Russia alot and have won many times while taking over less than 10 Provinces.

Each turn is 1 month of time.

Return to “Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition”