Can you help me decide?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

SuluSea

Can you help me decide?

Post by SuluSea »

I've been a good boy this year and I believe I won't be recieving my annual two lumps of coal. Most of my Matrix games are pacific oriented, WPO, WITP, Carriers at War and 2 Uncommon Valors [;)] I'm looking to buy my first European Theater WW2 game
Most of the ww2 games on the site look interesting to me but the ones that stick out are-

CC Cross of Iron
CC Wacht am Rhein
Panzer Command Kharkov

Any other possible recomendations?

Now, I'm a huge fan of General Patton and figure CC WAR will be up my alley but I'm looking for a game which has a generally easy learning curve compared to others.

Thanks !
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
sterckxe

RE: Can you help me decide?

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: SuluSea
I've been a good boy this year and I believe I won't be recieving my annual two lumps of coal.

With current energy prices maybe that isn't such a bad present after all [;)]
I'm looking to buy my first European Theater WW2 game
... but I'm looking for a game which has a generally easy learning curve compared to others.

From the games on your list the easiest to get into is Panzer Command : Kharkov - left click select, right click select order. There's really zero need to read the manual to get you started. There's a demo of the previous game out which is much alike, only with a less features so you can try before you buy.

Another one is Commander : Europe at War - it's a bit of a love/hate game - if you loved Panzer General and like to play the ETO on the strategic level this is the game to get. Again : there's a demo so don't pluck down you money blindfolded.

... but the absolute best games dealing with the ETO on the operational level in the Matrix stable are really the stuff put out by Panther Games : Highway to the Reich and Conquest of the Aegean. Also very accessible - up and running in 5 minutes - but deep, very deep once you dive into them and with an AI that'll kick your lower behind without cheating.

Check-out MarkShot's excellent mini-guides (pdf in zip)

ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/highwayto ... 6-2005.zip
ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/conquesto ... 2-2005.zip

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

Strategic: Hearts of Iron 2

Operational: Panther Games. TOAW 3, Decisive Battle Series

Tactical: Close Combat, Combat Mission, Steel Panthers, Campaign Series

Everything else is just fluff. [:)]
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

CC Cross of Iron
CC Wacht am Rhein
Panzer Command Kharkov

I haven't played WaR but on the assumption that doesn't differ too radically from CC4 none of those have a steep learning curve. PC: Kharkov is a better game than CoI IMHO.
Any other possible recomendations?

If you are still running XP (I hear there are problems with Vista?) you can get the pack of all three Combat Mission games for peanuts, these days. If you aren't too bothered about scale I'd seriously consider Highway to the Reich and Conquest of the Aegean as well. Whether the latter constitutes 'European Theatre' rather depends on how you define that term, but it's the more recent and better game of the two. Don't overlook the John Tiller Campaign series either. It's showing its age in some respects, particularly less than stellar AI (pick solo scenarios carefully) but no more than CC, it's a decent enough engine, is easy to learn and offers an awful lot of bang for your buck.

SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

Eddy, Herston, and Lützow I appreaciate your assistance.

I should have stated I was running vista.

Although I intend to purchase both in the future, I still haven't completely made up my mind on what I'd like to play at the moment, I'm thinking PC Kharkov or CC WAR at this point, I'd buy both but I'm setting money aside for Admirals Edition. You all and your families have a great and safe holiday season.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

Return to “General Discussion”