Tis the season. Let's not forget our troops

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

uncc

Tis the season. Let's not forget our troops

Post by uncc »

I came across this great website from a link a friend sent me (he actually sent the link to the Those Old Westerns which just made me feel old since I recognized (and miss) so many of the faces)). I haven’t looked at all the links (there’s a lot!), but one, Military Christmas caught my eye since its that time of year.

[/on soap box]

I urge all of us to work with our churches or organizations like Moms4Marines, Fisher House, (insert your favorite organization here), etc to remember our military who will be away from their families this Christmas. Even a card would be sure to lift some spirits:

A Recovering American Soldier
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20307-5001

...here is another webiste that allows you to send a free post card. I believe they (Xerox) did this last year too...
http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1024.html

Thanks and Merry Christmas!....

[/dismount soapbox]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)
Mike Dubost

RE: Tis the season. Let's not forget our troops

Post by Mike Dubost »

I'm not sure if I should thank you for the link to Those Old Westerns, or curse you for lengthening my Netflix list so much [:)].
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

I agree with the sentiment, but do remember, there are American soldiers of multiple religions. [:-]

I think the people in the service appreciate the cards and care packages, even outside of the holidays. I don't remember what the organization was that offered the care baskets, but I remember that there was a group where you could buy a care basket and it would be sent to a soldier either stationed or recovering. I always thought that was a pretty neat thing. It had a card, chocolates, etc, and was certain to brighten someone's day.

If anyone remembers that link, perhaps they could put it here?

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
gunny

Post by gunny »

Having been on a couple tours recently, and going again, I can honestly say its really nice to know folks on the home front have not forgotten there is a war a world away going on. Its nice to receive greetingsi and packages. And actually alot of what we receive is really useful, sundries, hygeine items etc. This goes for any nationality actually, all working together in the present operations

On a more somber note, the Canadian Army just lost its 100th soldier in Afghanistan. Its sad that a milestone number takes the place of the names and faces of those lost and their brothers and sisters before them. The 3 last and 97 others will be missed equally, especially at this time of year.
noxious

Post by noxious »

Indeed gunny, at least CBC last night was trying to run the whole list in a ceremonial fashion, with War amps stock footage in the background : some zealous editor cut it before the end to switch to a commercial...

You're serving with the Canadian Armed Forces ? In any case, thanks for doing the hard work.
Cheers, stay safe
N.
Be Kind. Everyone is fighting a hard battle.
uncc

Post by uncc »

here is another webiste that allows you to send a free post card.  I believe they (Xerox) did this last year too...

http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1024.html
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort
I agree with the sentiment, but do remember, there are American soldiers of multiple religions. [:-]

I read this, and became curious as to what the facts are surrounding religious preference in the U.S. military. I found what appears to be reasonably, sound data on page 25 of this document: http://www.prb.org/Source/ACF1396.pdf

Best wishes and profoundest respect to Western military personnel in this holiday season! [&o]

PoE (aka ivanmoe)
Government is the opiate of the masses.
noxious

Post by noxious »

Incidentally, for those who'd like to send snail mail or packages to the Canucks in Afghanistan, go here :
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/ ... ndex_e.asp

There is an option to post web messages, but I doubt many soldiers take the time to browse it while in the field : I'm going to write a good, old if not antique real letter and send it on its way :)
I hope some of you do the same
Cheers !!
Be Kind. Everyone is fighting a hard battle.
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

ORIGINAL: noxious

Incidentally, for those who'd like to send snail mail or packages to the Canucks in Afghanistan, go here :
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/ ... ndex_e.asp

There is an option to post web messages, but I doubt many soldiers take the time to browse it while in the field : I'm going to write a good, old if not antique real letter and send it on its way :)
I hope some of you do the same
Cheers !!

Thanks a lot for the link, noxious. I think I'll do the same.[:)]
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

Return to “General Discussion”