Good gaming system ... Desparately need additional scenarios

Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets is the latest strategy title from the award-winning team at Strategic Studies Group. A synthesis of the very best elements of two critically acclaimed and top-rated game systems, Decisive Battles and Battlefront, and a successor to both, the new Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets brings to life a campaign of epic scale and dynamic battles on the Eastern Front of World War II.
scout1

Good gaming system ... Desparately need additional scenarios

Post by scout1 »

Bought this and enjoy it tremendously ....

But, really needs to have more scenarios ......
Noakesy

RE: Good gaming system ... Desparately need additional scenarios

Post by Noakesy »

Didn't like BF at all, but liked two of the scenarios. Like Kharkov quite a lot, but would really appreciate some more scenarios (accepting that ATD is coming soon). Technically I haven't a clue, is it loads of work to upgrade Gazala and OMG to Kharkov? I can understand DBWWII scenarios are in many ways entirely difficulty, just not sure about BF. [:)]
Noakesy
Gregor_SSG

Post by Gregor_SSG »

ORIGINAL: Noakesy

Didn't like BF at all, but liked two of the scenarios. Like Kharkov quite a lot, but would really appreciate some more scenarios (accepting that ATD is coming soon). Technically I haven't a clue, is it loads of work to upgrade Gazala and OMG to Kharkov? I can understand DBWWII scenarios are in many ways entirely difficulty, just not sure about BF. [:)]

The Battlefront scenarios are close in spirit, but far in scale. The Kharkov engine is really designed for the 4k/hex scale.

Gregor
Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.
Waffenamt

Post by Waffenamt »

I guess that this line from the manual is somewhat misleading then:

"The Tactical Map in Kharkov is a hex based top down view of part of the battlefield where each hex represents approximately four kilometres, though the ground scale can be varied by the scenario designer."

I interpreted it to mean that we might see some 1 km/hex scenarios getting converted somewhere down the line. Had I understood the limitation(s) just pointed out, my decision to purchase would  probably havebeen different ...

Regards,
gnrss

Post by gnrss »

yes.i think this game system is great and i remember SSG have promised to make kharkov to a land based standard system.i wish many scearios will be released in the near futurn? 
JMass

Post by JMass »

ORIGINAL: Gregor_SSG
The Battlefront scenarios are close in spirit, but far in scale. The Kharkov engine is really designed for the 4k/hex scale.

Gregor

The Kharkov engine is not designed for the Battlefront hex scale? Please explain me this because someone could misunderstand:

What is Kharkov?

Kharkov is a blend of our Decisive Battles and Battlefront systems, together with some important new features. The Kharkov system can be used to make battles at either regimental or battalion scale and is therefore a successor to both Battlefront and the Decisive Battles systems.
"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection ... dgame&ff=1
Waffenamt

Post by Waffenamt »

Variants? It's the same map looking you in the face each time and it's getting old - f-a-s-t. THis has gone back "on the shelf" while I revisit COTA and enjoy my favourite scale - 1km/hex. Bah!
Gregor_SSG

Post by Gregor_SSG »

On the scenario scale question, the scale is not fixed and there is nothing to stop people from creating scenarios at 1k/hex. However, if we were to contemplate such scenarios, then I know that Ian Trout, being a perfectionist, would require some chamges to the game system.

At the moment, we're busy going in the other direction, making changes and improvements to better support Across the Dnepr, which is a somewhat larger scenario than Kharkov. You'll see the fruits of this labour in the patch and in ATD itself.

Gregor
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Post by SS Hauptsturmfuhrer »

Will that Across the Dnepr scenario be for this Kharkov game or for the original ATD game?  I don't have ATD so I don't know anything about this.
Noakesy

Post by Noakesy »

ORIGINAL: SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Will that Across the Dnepr scenario be for this Kharkov game or for the original ATD game?  I don't have ATD so I don't know anything about this.

ATD was released as an add on for Korsun Pocket. SSG are upgrading it to be played on the Kharkov system.
Noakesy
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Post by SS Hauptsturmfuhrer »

ORIGINAL: Noakesy

ORIGINAL: SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

ATD was released as an add on for Korsun Pocket. SSG are upgrading it to be played on the Kharkov system.

That's good news. There were some good fights on the Dnepr.
scout1

Post by scout1 »

Glad there is something in the works..... With only a single senario, this one was ready to be deleted off my hard drive .....
jeffreysutro@jeffreysutro.com

Post by jeffreysutro@jeffreysutro.com »

[font="Times New Roman"]I am aware that Kharkov itself is not very amenable to smaller, shorter scenerios, but it would be nice to have some scenerios that could be played in a relatively short time. Perhaps some scenerios of smaller size will be included with Across the Dneiper. There are also a great many battles that would work well at the 1km / hex scale, and a scenerio pack at that scale would be a nice addition to the system, once Across the Dneiper is finished. Alternatively, some smaller scale scenerios could be included as part of a package that also includes a larger scale "main" scenerio (e.g. Operation Barbarosa).

Note added 12/27/8
How about a Korean War expansion? The overall campaign would be something of a "monster", even at 4km / hex (so perhaps brigades at 10km / hex would work best), but it's a fascinating and fluid war (at least for the first 18 months or so, before the stalemate set in) with slashing attacks, desperate defenses, and stunning reversals that give each side a chance to both attack and defend. In addition, there are a myriad of possible interesting, smaller scale, scenerios such as the Chosin Resivoir, The Pusan Perimeter, The Inchon Invasion, the initial North Korean assualt, and the U.S. counterattack. It's still basically a World War 2 type "convential warfare" type campaign, so it should be suitable to the system, and there are few (none in my opinion) good wargames available on the subject.
[/font]
All My Best,

Jeff Sutro
Gregor_SSG

Post by Gregor_SSG »

We've got our hands full with WWII at the moment, but you never know where the system could end up going. We did a bunch of Korean War scenarios for the original Battlefront, so its an area that we're somewhat familiar with, so it might happen, but not in the short term.

Gregor

[font="Times New Roman"]For the near future you might consider alternating your expansion packs in a "something old / something new" type of pattern. It sounds as though after the "Across the Dnepr" update (something old), you will be doing another Eastern Front battle, perhaps the Battle of Moscow, or Stalingrad (something new). You might then follow it with another remake of a previous game (something old), such as "The Ardennes Offensive" with scenerios. Then again "something new", such as North Africa, or the campaign in Burma. Also, please do include senerios of different sizes and at different scales in each expansion pack. In that way it seems to me that you can keep everyone reasonably satisfied, (or at least as satisfied as a group of grognards can ever be). [:D] [/font]
All My Best,

Jeff Sutro
Gregor_SSG

Post by Gregor_SSG »

ORIGINAL: jeffreys

[font="Times New Roman"]For the near future you might consider alternating your expansion packs in a "something old / something new" type of pattern. It sounds as though after the "Across the Dnepr" update (something old), you will be doing another Eastern Front battle, perhaps the Battle of Moscow, or Stalingrad (something new). You might then follow it with another remake of a previous game (something old), such as "The Ardennes Offensive" with scenerios. Then again "something new", such as North Africa, or the campaign in Burma. Also, please do include senerios of different sizes and at different scales in each expansion pack. In that way it seems to me that you can keep everyone reasonably satisfied, (or at least as satisfied as a group of grognards can ever be). [:D] [/font]

That's pretty much what we will be doing! Is it time to get the spooks in to check our email security? Anyway, there will be announcements soon that I hope will promote a reasonable level of group satisfaction.

Gregor

[font="Times New Roman"]Gregor:

It sounds like there will be some exciting things coming soon. I'm looking forward to it! [:)]
[/font]
All My Best,

Jeff Sutro
Llyranor

Post by Llyranor »

Wait, are you planning (on paper, anyway) on rereleasing all your Decisive Battles games? I have all the SSG titles from Korsun Pocket onward (impulse buy from the previous Matrix sale), but if they're being remade with the new engine upgrades (with a discount for previous owners like with ATD), I might hold on on playing them (currently on backlog) and wait for this upgrade.

Post by Avatar47 »

I personally find Kharkov 'enough' for the money. Sure I'd like additional scenarios, but Kharkov itself is a really complicated piece, and a very well 'arranged' piece at that. I found I definitely got my money's worth. Cheers to Ian Trout at doing a great job building this scenario. 4km/hex is imho better than 1km, I prefer moving regiments/battalions that just measly companies. Looking forward to a revised ATD, make it a good one Ian!
Gregor_SSG

Post by Gregor_SSG »

ORIGINAL: Llyranor

Wait, are you planning (on paper, anyway) on rereleasing all your Decisive Battles games? I have all the SSG titles from Korsun Pocket onward (impulse buy from the previous Matrix sale), but if they're being remade with the new engine upgrades (with a discount for previous owners like with ATD), I might hold on on playing them (currently on backlog) and wait for this upgrade.

There will be an official announcement soon, but what I will say is that redoing scenarios takes a very long time, so I wouldn't hold off on anything that you might enjoy playing, just on that account.

Gregor

Return to “Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets”