An Uncivil War DAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Gil R.

Mad Russian

RE: An Uncivil War

Post by Mad Russian »

At this point a mistake I think I've made is the placement of my camps. From now on I'll only put camps in New York City and Baltimore. You never get the manpower out of there anyway so you might as well stack the camps up there.

Any camps that get built for the remainder of this game will be put in those two cities to see how it works out.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

At this point a mistake I think I've made is the placement of my camps. From now on I'll only put camps in New York City and Baltimore. You never get the manpower out of there anyway so you might as well stack the camps up there.

Any camps that get built for the remainder of this game will be put in those two cities to see how it works out.

Good Hunting.

MR

Yes, the placement of camps can actually make or break a game (espesially for the South). I tend to make a few unit factory cities, which will never see a camp built in them.
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: terje439

Good Hunting.

MR

Yes, the placement of camps can actually make or break a game (espesially for the South). I tend to make a few unit factory cities, which will never see a camp built in them.

Does each camp require a manpower point to support it? How exactly does that work?

Good Hunting.

MR

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

The new camp rules (use of manpower) should be documented in the readme, I don't recall the exact formula off the top of my head, but you're pretty much guaranteed that they'll use up at least one population.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

The new camp rules (use of manpower) should be documented in the readme, I don't recall the exact formula off the top of my head, but you're pretty much guaranteed that they'll use up at least one population.

Each camp will use at least one population?

Good Hunting.

MR

Joram

Post by Joram »

There is a chance it will use a population or more but it's not guaranteed.  Camps in a city with zero population work at half capacity I believe (like everything else in the city).
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Joram

There is a chance it will use a population or more but it's not guaranteed. Camps in a city with zero population work at half capacity I believe (like everything else in the city).

Where would that be found in the rules? Both that it takes population to run the camps and that the economy of a city runs at half with zero population available?

When I do a search in the rules pdf for men. I get mention, movement, menu....well you get the picture. The written rules book is next to worthless unless you have an idea which level of the game to go looking for something.

Good Hunting.

MR

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Tried looking for Population? [:D] sorry could not resist it [:)]

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

After an almost week long absence my partner got me a turn today. So we are now back on track.

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Late May 1862

The situation in the Union is as follows:

The storm is slowly starting to build up. I had reoccupied the Cumberland Gap but then moved the division out to just under Knoxville and left an empty army in the gap. The CSA force in Knoxville moved in. Luckily for me the Army wasn't removed for being in the area alone with an enemy unit. I pulled it back towards the river and loaded it with a Corps.

A US Division overran an unsupported CSA Brigade just south of Knoxville for the turns only combat.

I've moved an Army into the Shenandoah Valley, near the Cumberland Gap and Maryland. The AoNV is outnumbered about 2-1. That's not enough yet. For my rematch I want a 3-1 or more advantage. There are Confederate forces moving in the area. I may try to turn on the Corps he has in the Cumberland Gap and thrash it. It is pretty isolated at the moment. I intend on going to war no later than one month from now. My opponent seems unsure of when and where I will strike and is moving his forces around a bit. That's fine I get an idea of what he has where and that gives me more options.

If Kentucky hasn't gone Union by that time I may invade it. There are some very good cities and cheap points to be had in Kentucky if it goes Confederate. I'd just as soon it went Union where I could get the production without having to fight for it though.

Out west I'm moving a division down towards Little Rock. Building an Army just outside of Louisville for when Kentucky joins whichever side they want to join. At the moment they are still neutral. I've moved two river monitors over to the far side by Missouri. I want them over there when the opportunity arises to start smashing forts on the rivers.

I turned my entire economy to producing money and horses. I was to get $163, +162 Labor, +205 Iron and +127 Horses. After my realignment of resources I will be getting $269 and 179 Horses. I still have 304 Labor and 456 Iron left from this turn. The extra money will be used to buy a Corps and 2 Division HQ. I want more organization. I still have lots of brigades that are not armed. This coming turn it will be time to take stock of the brigades I have and see how many of them need to be brought in as Cavalry and Artillery.

I got a new mansion and it was in an area that produces money so I built 4 new mints there this turn.

I've still not spent a penny on the Europeans. With Victory Levels at their current positions I'm letting them sit there. No change in either the European or Blockade Runner situation.

Victory Report: (No Change this turn)
USA - Victory Points 1 / National Will -1
CSA - Victory Points 3 / National Will 1

State of the Economy:
34 - Mint (+2)
9 - Factory
3 - Mine
6 - Horse Farm (+1)
37 - Arsenal (+1)
9- Railroad Stations
10 - Banks
12 - Iron Works
26 - Barracks
12 - Foundry
3 - Shipyards
21 - Training Grounds
10 - Manufacturing Centers
3 - Academies
3 - Armory
1- Laboratory
6 - War College
3 - Engineering College
4 - Naval College
3 - Schools
5 - University
13 - Camp
5 - Hospitals
6 - Telegraph
1 - Signal Tower
36 - Capital
79 - Mansions (+1)
0 - Planations

In Production:
1 Army
2 Corps

Recruited:
2 Brigades

US Generals
0 - 5 Star
5 - 4 Star
4 - 3 Star
17 - 2 Star
48 - 1 Star

Upgrades To Date:

USA: (10) (+1)
Rifle Manufacture - Increases my weapons output.
Moisture Proof Cartridges - Allows me to fight in bad weather with better results.
Siege Techniques I - Better results against fortifications and cities.
Invalid Corps - Better output of my camps.
Target Practice I - Better results in combat.
Target Practice II - Better results in combat.
Naval Infastructure I - Cheaper ships.
Blockade Operations - Much better odds of catching and damaging Blockade runners.
Heavy Artillery Infrastructure - Allows me heavier artillery.
Sharpshooter Training - Increases my sharpshooters ability to do damage. Especially to cause casualties among his generals.

CSA: (5)
Rifle Manufacture
Fortified Techniques
Taget Practice I
Nursing Corps
Sharpshooter Training

Good Hunting

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Early June 1862

The storm is rapidly building. Again, I reoccupied the Cumberland Gap. At the moment I have  3 Armies within a single area of Fredricksburg. There are more than 300,000 men finally armed, organized and ready to fight. The time for a rematch with the AoNV is drawing very near. I'll unleash the Union forces on the entire area if I can force the AoNV to back up even a few steps. That should begin to happen this very next turn.

My leadership is good. My experience is poor. I still outnumber him 3 or more to 1. That should be enough to at least rock him back.

By now the newspapers have asked for my head on a platter for not fighting. The President has visited me on numerous occassions and while my war record is not bad, it's not we've not been as active as he'd wish. He's pressing me to open the summer campaign. The time has come for those rebels to be driven from the land. A single short vicious campaign in the east could see the Confederacy surrender.

I don't expect that but it could happen. I'm amazed that my opponent is satisfied to sit and allow me to do as I please. His comment to me was that the longer I take the better for him it is. I totally disagree with that. All that does is allow for a bigger storm when it arrives. Something I think the Union can afford and the Confederacy cannot. We shall soon see.

Kentucky is still neutral. If after the battle with the AoNV it is still neutral I may invade it.

Out west I'm moving a division down towards Little Rock. Spreading unrest as I go. Continuing to build the Army just outside of Louisville for when Kentucky joins whichever side they want to join.

I turned my entire economy to producing money and horses. I will get $250 and 219 horses next turn. They will be used to buy more divisions and to continue arming the brigades I have.

I have maxed out my building infrastructure capacity. All cities are at maximum capacity. This winter I will need to build more mansions.

I've still not spent a penny on the Europeans. With Victory Levels at their current positions I'm letting them sit there. No change in either the European or Blockade Runner situation.

State of the Economy:
34 - Mint
9 - Factory
3 - Mine
6 - Horse Farm
37 - Arsenal
9- Railroad Stations
10 - Banks
12 - Iron Works
26 - Barracks
12 - Foundry
3 - Shipyards
21 - Training Grounds
3 - Academies
3 - Armory
1- Laboratory
6 - War College
3 - Engineering College
4 - Naval College
3 - Schools
5 - University
14 - Camp  (+1)
5 - Hospitals
6 - Telegraph
1 - Signal Tower
36 - Capital
79 - Mansions (+1)
0 - Planations

In Production:
3 Corps
2 Divisions

Recruited:
0 Brigades - this is the first turn since the game started that I've not mustered troops. My manpower source is so big now I can't arm and organize them all but I'm getting closer. Next turn we go to war and see just how willing they are to fight.

US Generals
0 - 5 Star
6 - 4 Star
4 - 3 Star
18 - 2 Star
50 - 1 Star

Upgrades To Date:

USA: (10)
Moisture Proof Cartridges - Allows me to fight in bad weather with better results.
Blockade Operations - Much better odds of catching and damaging Blockade runners.
Sharpshooter Training - Increases my sharpshooters ability to do damage. Especially to cause casualties among his generals.

Rifle Manufacture
Fortified Techniques
Taget Practice I
Nursing Corps
Sharpshooter Training

Good Hunting

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Early June 1862

Four Union Armies in the East are preparing for an attack this turn. There should be no less than a 3-1 advantage against the AoNV. Now all that remains is to see if that's going to be enough. Interestingly enough, the Army in the Shenandoah Valley and in the Cumberland Gap has pulled Confederate troops down to cover the Lynchburg area. Not a problem that's not where we're going at first.

A US Division is continuing to move in the area just north of Little Rock. Converting all the land areas to Union control.

I armed 4 infantry brigades with Enfields this turn besides the 8 brigades with muskets.

Kentucky went Union this turn and I moved an Army of more than 40,000 past the capital and towards Nashville. I moved another Army over and into area of Forts Donelson and Henry. The 2 river monitors also moved into the river area. The CSA has forces at Memphis that can come my way. We'll see what happens and just how big those forces are. It's been my past experience that while CSA armies are big they are only rocks in the ocean. That much smaller Union forces can flow around them and threaten them with encirclement while still threatening them with armies of relatively the same size as their own.

The flood is coming. This is the summer of combat. I don't have alot of engineers yet. I do have 2 river monitors and another being built.

I turned my economy back to producing all four commodities. With Kentucky coming in that adds more money. I have 8 more mints already in some stage of construction as well.

My biggest issue continues to be organizations. All my Armies have 4 Star Generals in them, MOST Corps have 3 Star Generals but not all of them, I'm very short on 2 Star Generals for the Divisions. The training that my armies have recieved while I have been building them up should help with the coming firestorm of combats.

While this was a turn of movement. The next turn will be one of combat.

State of the Economy:  (No Change this turn)
34 - Mint
9 - Factory
3 - Mine
6 - Horse Farm
37 - Arsenal
9- Railroad Stations
10 - Banks
12 - Iron Works
26 - Barracks
12 - Foundry
3 - Shipyards
21 - Training Grounds
3 - Academies
3 - Armory
1- Laboratory
6 - War College
3 - Engineering College
4 - Naval College
3 - Schools
5 - University
13 - Camp
5 - Hospitals
6 - Telegraph
1 - Signal Tower
36 - Capital
79 - Mansions 
0 - Planations

In Production:
1 Corps
3 Divisions
1 River Monitor
1 Frigate

Recruited:
0 Brigades

US Generals
0 - 5 Star
6 - 4 Star (+1)
5 - 3 Star (+1)
15 - 2 Star (-2)
55 - 1 Star (+7)

Upgrades To Date:

USA: (11) (+1)
Incendiary Shells - this increases the amount of damage that can be done during sieges. That could be very important since I don't have all 9 of the river monitors I need for extreme offensive action.

Rifle Manufacture
Fortified Techniques
Taget Practice I
Nursing Corps
Sharpshooter Training

Good Hunting

MR

Ingtar

Post by Ingtar »

Is there a shortcut to getting the count of various facilities that you are displaying?
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Ingtar

Is there a shortcut to getting the count of various facilities that you are displaying?

What do you mean by a short cut?

The list of what facilities you have built is displayed to the right when you open the build box. It shows each kind of facility you can build, the cost in resources, and to the very far right, shows you how many of them you currently have active in the game.

It doesn't show you how many you have in the production line being built. Just those that are finished and producing you resources.

The combat units/organizations in production I get from cycling through the cities.

Normally you don't have much in production and that is quick and easy.

I could also put which facilities are being built. That can be found in the events report. It shows what was recruited this turn, in other words which facilities became active and what was produced fresh and ready for deployment. It also shows what is under construction.

Hope that helps.

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Late June 1862

Four Union Armies in the East are preparing for an attack this turn. Mis calculated. There isn't a 3-1 advantage against the AoNV. Pulling more organizations into the area. Next turn I should be ready to give the orders for the attack in the east.

A US Division is continuing to move in the area just north of Little Rock. The CSA tried to trap that division so I moved it out onto the river to the east of Little Rock. He should be able to become a raider and start putting some of the southern areas in unrest.

Fight on the Cumberland River near Nashville. The Union had 83,325 to the CSA's 89,070. The US lost 14,000+ to the CSA 6,500+. A 2-1 loss ratio is normal. So it was a draw in my eyes. Not in the games calculations.

Making more organizations to join the Western Armies and to contest Nashville, Memphis and Knoxville. The CSA has moved troops back south from the Richmond area towards Knoxville in an attempt to protect if from the Army moving into the area of the Cumberland Gap.

No change in either the European or Blockade Runner situation.

This last turn was one of movement and combat. This one should be as well. I won't win the war by slugging it out with him on all fronts. I'll win it by gutting his industry and taking his cities...more movement and less combat is a good thing. There will be battles to see just how resilient his armies are but they will be of my picking.

Victory Report:
USA - Victory Points -2 / National Will -3
CSA - Victory Points 6 / National Will 12

State of the Economy: (Changes mostly due to Kentucky entering the war)
42 - Mint (+8)
9 - Factory
3 - Mine
10 - Horse Farm (+4)
38 - Arsenal (+1)
12- Railroad Stations (+3)
10 - Banks
12 - Iron Works
27 - Barracks (+1)
12 - Foundry
3 - Shipyards
22 - Training Grounds (+1)
3 - Academies
3 - Armory
1- Laboratory
6 - War College
3 - Engineering College
4 - Naval College
3 - Schools
6 - University (+1)
16 - Camp (+3)
6 - Hospitals (+1)
6 - Telegraph
1 - Signal Tower
39 - Capital (+3)
85 - Mansions (+6)
0 - Planations

In Production:
1 Divisions
1 River Monitor

Recruited:
0 Brigades

US Generals
0 - 5 Star
6 - 4 Star (+1)
6 - 3 Star (+1)
14 - 2 Star (-1)
57 - 1 Star (+2)

Oganizations:
6 - Armies
12 - Corps
33 - Divisions

Upgrades To Date:

USA: (11)
Incendiary Shells - this increases the amount of damage that can be done during sieges. That could be very important since I don't have all 9 of the river monitors I need for extreme offensive action.

Rifle Manufacture
Fortified Techniques
Taget Practice I
Nursing Corps
Sharpshooter Training

Good Hunting

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I've seen it stated on some of the threads that if the Union gets a bad container that they decommission it and buy another. I don't have that luxury. A bad container will win fights if there are no opponents in the area. My main strategy is to flood the south with Union units so I NEVER decommission a Union unit.

Good Hunting.

MR

11Bravo

Post by 11Bravo »

Very good read that helps me to better understand this game. Appreciate your efforts. Excellent format as well.

I am very new to this game and the Civil War. A couple of questions.

Why do you use an April to April campaign year for planning? The campaigns in my game all start in November or June.

Are you satisfied with your 6-ship blockade fleets? The game rules suggest 3-ship fleets to be enough for the blockade victory points.
Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

One of the first things I ran a test on in FoF was how to kill an enemy force. You have to surround it. When I watched two CSA formations move south to cover the Cumberland Gap I decided to try to destroy the Army of Norther Virginia.

This is a risky move at this point in the war. If I get it the war for the CSA just went from good to teetering on disaster. If I lose it will cost me more victory points and some National Will. Then, I'll have to start spending money on European Diplomacy.

The end of my orders phase left me with a situation that looks like this. I've tried to upload the picture but the site says it's too large. It's a jpeg file that is 249kb...don't know how to make it any smaller than that.........

The picture shows the Army of Northern Virginia surrounded by Union Divisions and Corps. It also shows the Union attacking forces are
268,163 to the AoNV's 100,427.

I don't know the outcome of the battle yet but it should be in my favor. Should have the game file tomorrow. This attack wasn't listed in my last post just in case my opponent is reading this thread.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
Trap for AoNV.jpg
Trap for AoNV.jpg (130.53 KiB) Viewed 3 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

One of the first things I ran a test on in FoF was how to kill an enemy force. You have to surround it. When I watched two CSA formations move south to cover the Cumberland Gap I decided to try to destroy the Army of Norther Virginia.

This is a risky move at this point in the war. If I get it the war for the CSA just went from good to teetering on disaster. If I lose it will cost me more victory points and some National Will. Then, I'll have to start spending money on European Diplomacy.

The end of my orders phase left me with a situation that looks like this. I've tried to upload the picture but the site says it's too large. It's a jpeg file that is 249kb...don't know how to make it any smaller than that.........

The picture shows the Army of Northern Virginia surrounded by Union Divisions and Corps. It also shows the Union attacking forces are
268,163 to the AoNV's 100,427.

I don't know the outcome of the battle yet but it should be in my favor. Should have the game file tomorrow. This attack wasn't listed in my last post just in case my opponent is reading this thread.

Good Hunting.

MR

You could always try to reduce its size, what I would do is use mspaint and then mark the essential area and leave the rest, then copy the marked area to a new sheet and save that.

11Bravo - April to April is more or less what the game uses as cycles, this is due to all population taking place in April (that means that if you have no more population to build units with, wait for April and it will "respawn")

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I have already cropped it. I didn't think it was that big myself. The site thought otherwise.....[:-]

Good Hunting.

MR

Return to “After Action Reports”