Good Beginner Grand Strategy Games??

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

sjd0309

Good Beginner Grand Strategy Games??

Post by sjd0309 »

I have little experience with Grand Strategy games. I take these games to be those that require more strategy and planning than a squad level game.

Is there a Matrix release that might be a good entry level game for someone who is interested in a larger scale game than squad level battles. Somethingthat requires you to plan ahead for supply and reinforcements etc. yet is not so daunting that micromanagement is all I would do...

Cheers, SJD
I am nothin but cannon fodder in the grand artillery barrage called life!
V22 Osprey

RE: Good Beginner Grand Strategy Games??

Post by V22 Osprey »

The operational art of war III

Great Title.Units sizes range from a squad to an entire army and every thing in between.

And you can always choose between standard and advanced rules.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: sjd0309
Is there a Matrix release that might be a good entry level game for someone who is interested in a larger scale game than squad level battles. Somethingthat requires you to plan ahead for supply and reinforcements etc. yet is not so daunting that micromanagement is all I would do...

I'd recommend giving Commander: Europe at War a try - feedback we've had from many customers indicates its an easy to learn, fun to play grand strategy game.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/344 ... ope.at.War
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

Wow, that looks cool Erik! Thanks! [:)]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
sjd0309

Post by sjd0309 »

"I'd recommend giving Commander: Europe at War a try - feedback we've had from many customers indicates its an easy to learn, fun to play grand strategy game."

I didn't pick it up as it is a little more than I wanted to pay.

Thanks for the recommend though!

I am nothin but cannon fodder in the grand artillery barrage called life!
Widell

Post by Widell »

There's always TOAW III, even if it isn't grand strategy by definition, you can find almost any scenario complexity you want.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I'd recommend giving Commander: Europe at War a try - feedback we've had from many customers indicates its an easy to learn, fun to play grand strategy game.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/344 ... ope.at.War
Erik

Just a question...have they livened up North Africa? When I last played this Africa was melera distraction with nothing going on AI wise
Alba gu' brath
jjax

Post by jjax »

I have little experience with Grand Strategy games. I take these games to be those that require more strategy and planning than a squad level game.

Cheers, SJD

I know this is going outside matrix, but have you given Strategic Command 2 a look. Strategic Command series have always been good for entry level gaming.
--JJAX

Return to “General Discussion”