I think I'm getting the hang of this....

From the legendary team at 2 by 3 Games comes a new grand strategy masterpiece: Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States. Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, this innovative grand strategy game allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

hgilmer

I think I'm getting the hang of this....

Post by hgilmer »

In my third try (the first two were abandoned due to just having no clue. 1st game was a normal - decided too much for 1st game, 2nd game had computer control production - I found that to be very unsatisfying).

McClellan or McDowell won a major victory in Manassas. I scouted them out and I had a 2 to 1 advantage - It was about 8K troops against 4K. I'm doing better on initiative, too. I'm hunting an AC, Scott resigned for 11 or 12 months and I put in Halleck as the TC. He seems OK, he has an 18 CMD. I moved Fremont to DC and Halleck to the West because I think Halleck will have better initiative chance and it looks like most of my action will be in the West.

I need to read the manual again. I read it cover to cover before ever trying a game (Shows you how much you guys influenced me since I never read the manual before playing). But, I have forgotten some stuff or just never let it sink in the 1st time.

The OOB in Kentucky is shaping up in my favor it looks like. I have Sherman and Grant out in MO and they are going to be my spearhead I'm thinking for a drive to NO.

Amphibious is what I need to check up on. I'm not a Civil War expert but were amphibious actions so prevalent?
Bo Rearguard

RE: I think I'm getting the hang of this....

Post by Bo Rearguard »

ORIGINAL: hgilmer
Amphibious is what I need to check up on. I'm not a Civil War expert but were amphibious actions so prevalent?

Outside of World War 2, the American Civil War was probably the most amphibious war in US history. There were landings at Port Royal, New Orleans, the North Carolina sounds, Wilmington, Jacksonville, outside Charleston. That's probably not all of them.

Glad to see you are getting the hang of it. A few trial games can work miracles.[:)]
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War Between the States”