Having a hard time understanding supply.

From the legendary team at 2 by 3 Games comes a new grand strategy masterpiece: Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States. Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, this innovative grand strategy game allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

GBS

Having a hard time understanding supply.

Post by GBS »

I have read the manual section on supply and I just don't get it. In my game as CSA, I have 0 supply each turn dispite the report that I still bring in 81 through the ports and during the construction phase I always ask for supply units.
Where does supply come from?
Is there a base amount that is used each turn?
The little wagons represent supply units but they can only be built in a few regions in each state?
How big are the grids? It says five or six regions that supply can travel roads and rails by. I swear I saw the same grid number in regions from SC to ARK.
Anyway, I am out and can't figure out why or how to fix it. With out supply one might as well surrender.
Wish there was a tutorial on this subject that gives tips on how to husband supply, especially as CSA.
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
Joel Billings

RE: Having a hard time understanding supply.

Post by Joel Billings »

The e key report will tell you how many supplies your troops used last turn, so that will give you an idea of how many you need to have at the end of your turn to supply your units on the next turn. It's easy to build too many units and not enough supply as the Confederate player. You may need to have as many as 80-90% of your factories producing supplies. Remember you use up supplies when milita units are recruited as well. You have to be careful with your supplies early on, especially building forts. It's tempting to build forts in all of your ports right away, but it usually takes 6 months or more before you can afford to build up all your coastal forts (unless you are building almost all supplies in 1861). If you keep finding yourself with 0 supplies, your either not building enough, or are using too many building forts.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
GBS

RE: Having a hard time understanding supply.

Post by GBS »

If I disband some units, will that add supply back to the system?
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War Between the States”