Question about unit counters

From the legendary team at 2 by 3 Games comes a new grand strategy masterpiece: Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States. Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, this innovative grand strategy game allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

Crimguy

Question about unit counters

Post by Crimguy »

I just wrote a 1000 word complaint about the manual, but decided to delete it and go back to the old way of asking questions as they come along, instead of toilet-bowling everything.

So - what does the number at the top right of the unit counter mean? Why did no one see it fit to include a picture of a unit counter with little lines pointing to each of those numbers, with text boxes at the other end to explain what they mean?

Erik Rutins

RE: Question about unit counters

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Crimguy
So - what does the number at the top right of the unit counter mean? Why did no one see it fit to include a picture of a unit counter with little lines pointing to each of those numbers, with text boxes at the other end to explain what they mean?

That's the movement of the unit. This is covered, if I recall correctly, in the video and in-game tutorials. I'd be surprised if the manual doesn't mention it, but I know the tutorials do.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

FYI, this is from 4.2.1 where it explains the Unit Box (where you're seeing those icons and numbers). I've bolded the applicable section:

"The following information is always displayed on the various unit counters:
Leader units – name, rank (appropriate banner if Theater or Army Commander), command points remaining/total command points, movement points remaining.
Combat units – designation, movement points remaining (right upper corner), number of units in stack (left upper corner - always 1 in the second level unit box).
Supply units – number of supply points in unit
Infrastructure units – number of units in stack and damage status (infrastructure units are stacked by damage status). A green circle means undamaged, yellow fire signifies level 1 damage, and red fire means level 2 damage."
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

Eric - the problem is there is all that text in section 4.2.1, but no explanation of which number is which. It needs a picture.

The videos go into it, but an all-encompassing rundown of all the info on the counter is needed IMHO.
incbob

Post by incbob »

I hate to say I agree with this, but yes I think it would be helpful to have a picture. I know the video tutorials go into it and I know it is talked about in the&nbsp;text of the manual, but they don't lie when they say "a picture is worth a thousand words." This old school board gamer would love to see a picture with a little drawing showing what each thing is. I have thought about doing it myself, but have ran out of time.
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Eric - the problem is there is all that text in section 4.2.1, but no explanation of which number is which. It needs a picture.

The videos go into it, but an all-encompassing rundown of all the info on the counter is needed IMHO.

Does this help?, it won't be in the manual but...

Attachments
caracteristicas.jpg
caracteristicas.jpg (76.25 KiB) Viewed 22 times
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

A lot of that is in the manual in other sections, actually, and there is a screenshot of the unit box in the same section that tells you that the movement is in the upper right corner. With that said, I think the above chart is a nice play aid and I agree that including a labeled screenshot in that section would have helped make it more clear which was the movement number.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Nice pic rjh. To add to your pic:

the red arrow means a leader has initiative this turn
the green circle on an infrastructure unit means it is undamaged
the three little stacked boxes in the lower left of a unit means it's in supply.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

That is very helpful, thanks!

Is that 3rd number on Jackson's ratings his movement? I thought it was his Infantry value.
ORIGINAL: rjh1971

Does this help?, it won't be in the manual but...

Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

The third number varies in it's meaning depending on the leader type. If the general is a administrator or engineer it usually refers to his admin rating.
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
Roger Neilson II

Post by Roger Neilson II »

ORIGINAL: elmo3

Nice pic rjh. To add to your pic:

the red arrow means a leader has initiative this turn
the green circle on an infrastructure unit means it is undamaged
the three little stacked boxes in the lower left of a unit means it's in supply.

Added to graphic...

Roger

Attachments
GGWBSTUnitcounter.jpg
GGWBSTUnitcounter.jpg (127.59 KiB) Viewed 11 times
TheTomDude

Post by TheTomDude »

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

The third number varies in it's meaning depending on the leader type. If the general is a administrator or engineer it usually refers to his admin rating.

Correct. The third number corresponds with the infantry/cavalry/artillery or administration value of the leader. Depending on what kind of leader it is.

One more thing. I don't have a screenie at hand but there is one or more little stars over the supplied-icon on the unit box of some units that fought battles. Is this some sort of veteran status for the unit?
GShock

Post by GShock »

Unit Experience.
How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

That is very helpful, thanks!

Is that 3rd number on Jackson's ratings his movement? I thought it was his Infantry value.

We're talking about the same thing, you used the proper name infantry rating or value, that rating is the number of movement points it adds to the infantry movement point when the leader gains initiative, so when Jackson has initiative and only infantry units attached he will have 5 movement points (1inf+4leader)

The third number for the administrative leader is not for movement but his administrative rating, being six the best. For cavalry and artillery units it represents the mp that will be added to the ones of cavalry and arty.
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
tran505

Post by tran505 »

Yes -- thanks for the great diagrams! I thought I knew this stuff and I still learned something.

P
Paul

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War Between the States”