Another question...Army/unit size

From the legendary team at 2 by 3 Games comes a new grand strategy masterpiece: Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States. Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, this innovative grand strategy game allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

GBS

Another question...Army/unit size

Post by GBS »

The AARs have a lot of mention of an Army being 20,000 or 80,000 men etc. I can't find this in the manual but how is this determined?
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
PyleDriver

RE: Another question...Army/unit size

Post by PyleDriver »

Each Inf and Cav unit is 2000 men, each Art unit is is 20 guns with 200 men. Each fleet are 2 ships of 200 men. So we just do the math after that.

[8D]
Jon
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

I was wondering this my self.
ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

Each Inf and Cav unit is 2000 men, each Art unit is is 20 guns with 200 men. Each fleet are 2 ships of 200 men. So we just do the math after that.

[8D]
Jon
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
chris0827

Post by chris0827 »

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

[8D]
Jon

Where did you get these numbers? Artillery units averaged about 25 men per gun during the war.
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Chris, you'll have to ask Joel on that question. I think there all out of town this weekend...I'm a tester not a programmer...Just trying to hold down the fort...lol...

[8D]
Jon
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

You're right, in hindsight the artillery personnel numbers do sound a little low. It takes 1/6 the manpower to create an artillery unit as it does an infantry unit. We were shooting for 2000 men for the infantry/cav units, so strictly speaking the artillery units represent 333 men. I can't remember why Gary decided on using the 200 men for losses in artillery units (remember the number of men are only for reference and are not what's important in game terms). I was more familiar with a 16 to 1 ratio of men to guns as a rule of thumb. Their is certainly some abstraction built into the game when dealing with the units and what they represent. This is especially true with fleets, where Gary felt that each fleet was 1 or 2 big ships supported by a number of smaller ships. For reporting purposes we decided to say that a damaged fleet was 1 ship lost, while a destroyed fleet was 2 ships lost, but this is definitely an abstraction as a fleet could represent as many as 10 actual ships.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War Between the States”