Rebel Trafalgar?

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

moose1999

Rebel Trafalgar?

Post by moose1999 »

Just wondering - has anyone ever played as the rebels and really tried to challenge the union blockade?
I mean, spent the money and time to build a decent rebel fleet and chase off the union blockaders.
I imagine such a venture would be quite crippling for the southern land efforts and would thereby cost them the war in the longer run...
regards,

Briny
GShock

RE: Rebel Trafalgar?

Post by GShock »

It is virtually impossible, i built a small fleet in New Orleans and i've beaten the blockading union container with heavy losses. As soon as i got intercepted by the next container my fleet got utterly destroyed and i didn't dare building it again. The advantage union has in naval is massive, but in the balanced economy scenario you can actually raise the blockades...though at heavy costs. 
How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

Sometimes I have the luxury to build several (three, four, or five) ironclads in N.O. and make a move on the blockading fleet there.  I usually cause a lot of damage, and on one occasion actually forced it to retreat for a turn.  I was so badly damaged that I had to return to port for repairs just as an additional ship unit or two arrived to bolster the union's numbers.

When playing as the Union, I have had a confederate fleet wipe me out in N.O., and then move around to the sea area off of Delaware, killing everything before it.  I had concentrated my efforts on land units and neglected to build any more ships.  Lesson learned.  I started building lots of ships to push them back, but by the time they were starting to come on line, it was taps for the Southern boys on land.  I always wondered if the AI knew I wasn't building any additional ships and took advantage of that knowledge, but only Eric knows for sure.

So, I guess it's possible, but highly unlikely.  Of course, I've never tried to build conventional fleets, just ironclads in an attempt to try it.  One day, I'll try conventioanl ships to see if I can duplicate the AI's success.

Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
GShock

Post by GShock »

When i raised the blockade in NO i did with Frigates and ships, not with Ironclads. The real issue is that even if you win the resources you have spent will be felt by your much more needing land troops. It's not worth the effort because you can damage the Union much more with a sneaky DIV plundering Des Moines, Cairo and all the other "bordering" towns. Of course, spending money on Diplomacy also helps keeping those blockade runner resources available...it's an option, always an option but i think it's better than building fleets to battle it out at the sea and reaches mostly the same objective.
How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org
moose1999

Post by moose1999 »

Well, just tried it out myself.
I built a couple of ironclads in NO and attacked the blockading fleet there.
I took a beating... [:(] 
Lost two ironclads and didn't break the blockade, of course.
I'm afraid my boys on land is really going to feel the pain from that mistake...
regards,

Briny

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”