A Period Not Covered?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

lordhoff

A Period Not Covered?

Post by lordhoff »

It just occured to me that a period of history that has a lot of different army styles that were more or less evenly matched has not been used (to my knowledge) in any war games. I am alluding to the Mongol invasions that pitted composite Mongol/Chinese armies vs those of Russia, the Holy Roman Empire, Georgia, Hungary, various Arabian countries, and Indian armies. It just seems like a period just waiting for a war game.

Any thoughts on this (good, bad, ugly, whatever)?
These biting remarks brought to you by Terry and his troops: Legio K IX, King Sarge II Commanding
Grell

RE: A Period Not Covered?

Post by Grell »

Hi Lordhoff,

You're right there is a gap in those types of games but there is Shogun Total War Mongol Invasion, Medieval Total War and M2TW as well. So if you like TW type games that will get you by.

Regards,

Grell
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

There's a new game out called the Golden Horde by JoWood which deals with the Mongols and others. Not seen any reviews for it yet though.
A neat little site for Ancients games is http://ancientgames.blogspot.com/.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

The Jowood label should be enough to deter anyone from buying it ;).

Still have the good old Genghis Khan if nothing else.

Deus Vult.
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

ORIGINAL: marcusm

Wow, Genghis Khan. Now, that's a great game that I remember well. Lots of fun.
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
lordhoff

Post by lordhoff »

Thanks; I have Medieval II Total War but it is still in the shrink wrap so I don't know if I like that sort of game or not Image.  Come to think of it, my back log doesn't seem to be shrinking and I never did get back to the constantly crashing campaign in Red Baron 3d after buying a patch/mod for it plus there are some four Matrix games not yet played. 

I'm probably not as in to it as some of you are so help me out here:  what is the problem with JoWood (totally new name to me)?  Perhaps I'll find this out on my own in a few minutes when I scan the blog site but your insights are sought.

Thanks.
These biting remarks brought to you by Terry and his troops: Legio K IX, King Sarge II Commanding
SireChaos

Post by SireChaos »

JoWood are far from the worst. BlueByte and Ascaron, however... I´d rather not talk about those... [:(]
Grell

Post by Grell »

Jowood are not nice people. They are very hard to get along with. Their games are very buggy.

Regards,

Grell
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

Hi Grell

Have you had dealings with JoWood. This is the company that gave the world Industry Giant 2, Railroad Pioneer, Transport Giant some of the great games of the 20th Century.....Sorry I must get off these tablets. Well I liked Industry Giant a little. So cumon spill the beans we wont tell anyone...honest.

Punk
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

They are also famous for releasing super buggy unfinished products. Gothic 3 anyone :D.

What's wrong with Ascaron? At least Patrician was a much better game than anything Jowood released.
They are run by serious gaming people. Jowood is run by a lawyer/banker(that should be enough for most hehe).
Deus Vult.
SireChaos

Post by SireChaos »

They are also famous for releasing super buggy unfinished products. Gothic 3 anyone :D.

I wouldn´t know. I didn´t play the Gothic series games.
What's wrong with Ascaron? At least Patrician was a much better game than anything Jowood released.

The *original* Patrician was a great game for its time. Patrician 2 was one step forward, two steps back.
They are run by serious gaming people. Jowood is run by a lawyer/banker(that should be enough for most hehe).

Every company has its faults. What kind of people make up the company merely decides what those faults are.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

Patrician 3 updated all that though. Still on my HD.

I am not sure there exists a publisher with worse reputation for broken games than Jowood.

Deus Vult.
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

So that torpedoes Fate of Hellas and The Golden Horde right out of the water....
panzers

Post by panzers »

They really need to do some kind of remake on Genghis Khan. To this day, I stilll think that is one of the best wargames of all time.
Why don't they make more games about that period. Remember that is also the period of The Holy roman Empire and a powerful England run by King Richard.
Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

I loved that game too, Genghis Khan, that got me into wargaming.
PTO II the same , made me buy WitP and either through dumb luck or whatever, tops them all.
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
panzers

Post by panzers »

So what do you think, Erik? There seems to be an awful lot of sentiments for ancients and middle ages on here. Clearly there is a hunger for that period.
WWII will always be my favorite, but I love all of history.
panzers

Post by panzers »

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

Wow, Genghis Khan. Now, that's a great game that I remember well. Lots of fun.
I do have that game myself, but it doesn't save games anymore, so it's worthless. I wonder what is would go for on ebay? Not mine, of course, but another copy.
Also, I always loved Nobanaga's Ambition. That was my first ever video wargame and have been playing them ever since.

Return to “General Discussion”