Tin Soldiers:Caesar Revisited

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

ravinhood

Tin Soldiers:Caesar Revisited

Post by ravinhood »

You know if you guys don't have this one you really should pick it up. It's been awhile since I had played it last and I had forgotten a lot that I LEARNED while playing it the first time. I just got stopped again at HELVETII even KNOWING what was going to happen I couldn't resist a grunt rush attack and I got spanked for it. ;) haha

The AI in this game is really great after the 1.11 patch. The lil suker snuck one unit past me tryin to get to its objective flag (it has to get 2 units there before the 15th turn) and it made it lol and it was tryin to sneak unit number two by me, but, I did get that suker. ;) I won't tell you what all happened next, but, that I did hold them from reaching their objective and they kept me from getting mine as well. :) Darn sorry no good for nuthin cheatin bassturds lol. I'll give yah one lil hint, remember barbarians come in HORDES, I had forgot that myself. ;)

The artwork of this game is KOIOS's best by far to me. And yeah I've seen the Kharkov graphics, but, I'm not as impressed by green tanks and green terrain and green trees and green water lol well ok not green water except the swamps as I am these colorful lil men and horsies on stands just like we use to play em. Of course it's no Crysis (is that the name of that new fpser?), but, it has enjoyable graphics.

What this game is calling out for is a larger campaign map and a RANDOM BATTLE GENERATOR like Kharkov is going to have. Doesn't have to have a random campaign as for ancient times I'd be happy just to see a random battle generator and/or a buy point system for playing random setup custom games. There's only 14 different battles and so that's where the longevity and replayability go by the wayside of this one and why it's been awhile since I played it. A random battle generator and/or a buy point quick battle system like Combat Mission has and I'd probably play this till the moon fell. ;) Mainly because you will eventualy learn the maps and how the AI plays and beat every scenario and then it becomes well you know...boring until you don't play it for a lot of blue moons.

KOIOS needs to get back to its roots the ANCIENTS. ;) While Kharkov looks to be a winner I'd be more impressed with a better Ancients/Medieval type game out of them with the whole shebang like a Rome Total War done in the KOIOS manner. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Grell

RE: Tin Soldiers:Caesar Revisited

Post by Grell »

Hi Ravinator!

You know I just don.t like those Tin Soldier graphics myself, I tried a demo and was not thrilled with the gameplay.

Carriers at war has the same problem with limited scenarios and thus limited hard disk lifespan. Oh Joy! LOL.

Regards,

Grell
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

KOIOS needs to get back to its roots the ANCIENTS. ;) While Kharkov looks to be a winner I'd be more impressed with a better Ancients/Medieval type game out of them with the whole shebang like a Rome Total War done in the KOIOS manner. ;)

But not enough want to buy that game - they wanted something with Panzers in it. TS:JC is one of Matrix's best games, I agree, but the concept, ancients, or both didn't sell well enough. Hence the move to Combat Mission clones.. Koios have much talent but, like the rest of us, still need to earn enough to pay the bills.

I find the obsession with WW2 as the only worthy wargaming subject on the part of so many both here and elsewhere quite depressing.
mikul82

Post by mikul82 »

ORIGINAL: Hertston
ORIGINAL: ravinhood

But not enough want to buy that game - they wanted something with Panzers in it. TS:JC is one of Matrix's best games, I agree, but the concept, ancients, or both didn't sell well enough. Hence the move to Combat Mission clones.. Koios have much talent but, like the rest of us, still need to earn enough to pay the bills.

I find the obsession with WW2 as the only worthy wargaming subject on the part of so many both here and elsewhere quite depressing.

Same here. I'm so tired of WWII games, and there was a time before when I thought I never would be.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

I prefer the Manassas style implementation of miniature gaming.

Deus Vult.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Haha I barely won my 2nd game of the same battle taking my objective flag on the 24th turn. Man I got so pulverized by those barbarians I won't be able to field a full force I'm afraid this next battle. Defense is not the best offense in this battle as I found out. You've got to get in on those flanks and fast in the early game to save most of your army for the HORDE you have to fight next. lol I like the game though these are nail biting experiences and you just don't find that in many games today espeically the ancient ones. I have to laugh cause I looked at the amount of bytes to create one of the best ancients of all times "Centurion Defender of Rome" it took all of a whopping 690KB hahaha KILOBYTES guys. Graphics take up too many resources and why many developers having a hard time today. With people like ummm uhhhh GRELL who don't like the graphics of a quality game like TS:C that's why we keep seeing WWII stuff. I do not need Total War graphics...just a good quality strategy game and a good quality AI to play it against. There is nothing wrong with the graphics of TS:C :)

It just amazes me what we got out of 690KB's and were happy with it back in the early 90's now we have people that scoff at those graphics cause if it doesn't cost millions to produce a game it's crap by todays standards lol. Another great game of the late 80's "War of the Lance" 774KB's! lol and then we have Sid Meiers Railroad Tycoon that comes in at a whooping 6.37MB ooooohhhh 6.37MB's guys you better go buy a bigger hard drive ;) lol Then we have "X-Com Terror from the Deep" (you hate those graphics also Grell? :) ) 15.6MB of an awesome game. Then we have trash like M2TW with 7GIGs of fricking wasted space hahaha. "1830 Railroads and Robber Barons" just a measly 8.46MB and it's one great railroad/robber baron strategic game.

Anyways back to Tin Soldiers:Caesar it's imho one of the best Matrixgames releases. Of course WitP seems to be the big popular, but, I just don't understand wanting to play a game that takes you a lifetime to play. How many of you out there that got it have actually FINISHED a round of it and no lying please. ;) (why do I say that I know they will lol).
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: marcusm

What "Manassas style"? If you mean the Madminute games (?) what do they have to do with "miniature gaming"?
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

ORIGINAL: Hertston
ORIGINAL: marcusm

What "Manassas style"? If you mean the Madminute games (?) what do they have to do with "miniature gaming"?

I used to play miniature games at conventions. Games like T2C:M took it to the next level.
Obviously the reasons miniatures was used was because that was the best one could do at that time. With computers came new options. Sid Meiers Gettysburg would have been the first really but T2C:M is a more current game so I picked that one.
Deus Vult.
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Does TS:Julius Ceasar have a good tutorial to get you up and running?  Thanks!
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Hentzau

Post by Hentzau »

Ever since hex games it's always seemed like the squeaky wheels called out for massive and complicated games, but I've always preferred the simpler games. Personally, I'd rather have a decent version(with AI) of SPI's old freebie "Napoleon at War" than most of Matrix's catalog. $0.02.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Does TS:Julius Ceasar have a good tutorial to get you up and running?  Thanks!

It's such an entry level game sabre1 it doesn't need one. There's a demo, but, it's like playing Combat Mission to an extent really. You issue your orders and then they play out in three five minute increments (you get a reaction phase during the 2nd 5 minute simulation), you can exploit a breakthru or plug a hole by placing some units in "reserve" mode (units that didn't do anything the other two phases). It's built around getting the best position for the attack like flanks and rears you can really work a number on the units when you do these maneuvers. It is really easy to play and I bet you can pickup on the play in five minutes of your first practice battle.

You can play out all the battles in a Campaign mode for the RPG/promotional element or you can play the 14 battles separately though you won't get the promotions to your units like you do in the campaign game. It's so simple a Caveman could do it. ;)

Ever since hex games it's always seemed like the squeaky wheels called out for massive and complicated games, but I've always preferred the simpler games. Personally, I'd rather have a decent version(with AI) of SPI's old freebie "Napoleon at War" than most of Matrix's catalog. $0.02.

In most cases of Matrixgames I would agree with you, but, not this one. :) I don't really care for the simulations and play the same battle over n over and have the same outcome over n over types. I wasn't interested in PC:OWS, but, I am interested in "Kharkov" for the RANDOM element the game is bringing to the table. I like fighting 100's of different battles not just one like say HTTR/COTA have or WitP or Korsun Pocket, etc. Games like Combat Mission and Steel Panthers (hopefully Kharkov) appeal to me most. That's why I said this one is just SCREAMING out for a Random Battle Generator and point buy Quick Battle system. ;)

sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Thanks ravinhood, I will get the game based on your recommendation. 

I am also interested in a good RPG for something different, so I'm wondering if you are still giving Titans Quest a thumbs up? 
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

I am also interested in a good RPG for something different, so I'm wondering if you are still giving Titans Quest a thumbs up?

I wouldnt consider it as an rpg. Titan Quest and Diablo are more like action games with rpg elemets (you have inventory and you can get new equipment).

If you want a good rpg with diablo style combat buy divine divinity. In som ways the game is a spiritual successor to ultima7.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

I forgot to ask while I'm on the subject, how are the other ancient games? Thanks.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Can you be more specific? What other ancient games? ;) If you want a free one that is exceptional just hop over to Underdogs and get "Centurion Defender of Rome".  I don't have Tin Soldiers:Alexander because, I dunno I love ancients and Greek City State wars and Roman era, but, I just never was a fan of Alexander. Of course the gameplay is going to be identical, and linear moreso than Tin Soldiers:Caesar since in the TS:JC campaign mode you do get to pick which battle you want to fight next and then get a civil war battle at Alesia when you reach a certain reputation point score. Then after that comes the Civil War battles between the other factions of Rome. You get to do the same in those as well.

Then there's The Great Battles series of "Hannibal, Alexander, and Caesar" that's pretty popular. Then you have HPS "Punic Wars" and now "Gallic Wars" recently released that looks pretty awesome, but, these latter two are pretty complex and not your beginners type of ancients wargames. There's Slitherines "Spartan" and "Troy" (greek wars). "Spartan" is my favorite, but, combat is pretty much hands off and command control only. There's "Legion Arena" also if you want some RPGlike 3D action game, I wasn't much impressed with it, but, would like to see that combat engine in a COMPLETE game like "Legion II" if they ever get back to programming that one.

Yes, I'm still enjoying and playing "Titans Quest" and for the price you can't lose on this one with the 1.30 patch. I also discovered that as long as you get to a rebirth well you CAN SAVE at that location for when you want to play again instead of like I thought you had to get to the next town/outpost. So, that makes it even better now since that was one of my complaints. You definitely have to PLAY this one unlike Diablo 2 where I could pretty much just stand toe to toe and drink healing potions lol. I've come close to dying several times now some of them bosses is hard. ;)

Also, remember "Titan Quest" is pratically exactly like Diablo 2, so, if you didn't like Diablo 2 as an ACTION RPG then you probably won't like this. It isn't your DnD style like Neverwinter Nights, but, I have that one for when I want a DnD type of RPG element. And there's over 3000 player made adventures for the origional Neverwinter Nights so there will always be that type of adventure to play. I used to be a big fan of DnD style rpgs for a long time, but, when Diablo came around I quickly found I enjoy that type of element the best, hack n slash with the carrot in front of the horse leveling system and neat kewl new loot to find and use. It's more fun for me building a powerful character than it is playing a stupid talking dwarf character. lol Some like to chitty chat role play I like action roleplay. ;)

mikul82

Post by mikul82 »

I recommend Divine Divinity as well. Depths of Peril is also a lot of fun, and there's an upcoming game from Iron Tower Studios called "Age of Decadence" on it's way as well, although AoD is supposed to play more like Fallout than Diablo. Titan Quest is entertaining as well, from what I recall it basically IS Diablo 2 (gameplay wise) but with a different setting.
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Thanks for the input!  If I have questions about TS:JC I will post them in that forum.
Hidde

Post by Hidde »

Ravinhood, I'm surprised you forget to recommend Hoplites. I'ts free and all.
http://digilander.libero.it/zak965/hoplites.htm
I just saw that's there has been some update to the side not that long ago. News to me.
As for the TS games I always take any chance to say how much I like them and how much I wish there would have been more. I agree with everything Ravinhood say about them. Would like to add that TS-ATG is actually a bit harder then TS-JC. That's how I remember those games anyway.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

You're right Hidde I completely forgot about that one. It is another good card game ancient wargame. I like my lil minatures from the TS:JC game though so colorful, but, then again those cards from Hoplite are pretty colorful as well. Another great entry level game for newbies. I wish someone would do that Ancient Axis & Allies like game that Milton Bradley released many years ago..and make it into a computer game...what was the name of that?....was it just "Centurion"?? I really think if TS:JC had of had a random battle/quick battle feature it would have sold more. ;) Plus if gamers coule have played more of the factions like in Spartan or RTW it would have sold more. It was kinda slim on the features it has. Many people like to play the underdogs like the Barbarians or Carthage or Greeks and Macedonians....when they make the NEXT ONE they need to put all that in there and then it will sell well. ;)

Brigz

Post by Brigz »

Gotta agree with ravinhood on this topic. The Tin Soldiers series is the most overlooked computer games on the market today. They are as close to the "perfect" computer wargame as you can get. Simple to play, easy to use, and lot's of fun and virtually bug free. The best part is that they have that, "can't stop, must play the next turn" addiction factor. It's like those old cliffhanger serials. You just can't wait to see what will happen next. They may not be everyone's cup of tea but I urge anyone that wants a good, fun game to at least try one of these. If KOIOS made ten more games in this ancients series I'd buy every one of them in a minute. Every gamer should have at least one of these titles in their library.

When I first saw TS:Alexander I was a bit put-off by the graphics, but after buying the game and playing it, I soon turned a 180 and actually like the graphics. They give the game some of it's unique feel. At first I was a bit P.O.'d to find that in Alexander (not Caesar) you had to play each scenario in sequence in order to go on to the next scenario. However, I soon realized that this was actually a good thing. Kind of gives a programmed learning approach.

And yes, after playing each battle several times you do lose some of the "surprise" factor, but, like ravinhood did, you can put the game away for a while and then go back and play it and it is as fresh as when you first played it.

Oh, and ravinhood...you can unlock the TS:Alexander game to be able to play the individual battles without having to play through them sequentially. In the Tin Soldiers forum section there should be a post that explains how.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

Return to “General Discussion”