Live role playing

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

marcusm

Live role playing

Post by marcusm »

A girl here where I work does this so I naturally became interested.
Has anyone here tried live role playing? Either fantasy or middle ages inspired.

I have now and then thought about doing re-enactments in England but never fantasy rpg.

Share your experience.
Deus Vult.
Grell

RE: Live role playing

Post by Grell »

Hi Marcusm,

I've never tried it myself but that just means I haven't opened my mind up to it.[:)]

Regards,

Grell
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

There's even a Vampire variant run in the middle of the city. It fits because we have
alot of those 19th century houses here.
Deus Vult.
sprior

Post by sprior »

There was (maybe is) a group that used to meet monthly in London that I went to a few times and it was hoot. they mixed up fantasy and WWII strategic gaming stuff but that was neraly 10 years ago now and I don't remember the name of the group.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Where I live local organizations hold annual Renaissance Fairs with role playing and jousting and lots and lots of vendors and entertainers.

An old girl friend used to work as a serving wench...was lots of fun.
Hans

marcusm

Post by marcusm »

Actually Hans thats what she says. There is a "real" variant they do even for official occasions, even for the Royal Family.
Then it's more about enacting real things but the other side is elves and trolls etc :).

I am tempted.
Deus Vult.
mikul82

Post by mikul82 »

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7521044027821122670    [;)]

I would love to get into ancient or medieval battle re-enactment, unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of those two on any large scale around here in Tx.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

Haha, those were funny.
Deus Vult.
Joram

Post by Joram »

I wish I could remember the title but I saw some documentary on IFC on this.  A whole bunch of people would dress up in medieval garb, erect forts out of wood and then playact attacking each other.  That's the scene I saw but also sounded like there was lots of intrigue, egos and whatnot involved as well.  There was some kind of persistent live RPG thing going on.  Wish I could remember the title of that doc.
old man of the sea

Post by old man of the sea »

my daughter used to renn fair every year, she made pretty good money at it too.

The Maryland Renn Fair is the second largest in the USA and is pretty darn cool, with a walled town and everything.

E
"Point me to a 'civilised' part of the General Forum and I'll steer way clear of it." - Soddball

Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I never have been able to make out the numbers.
Karri

Post by Karri »

It does sound a bit stupid, to be honest. 
Joram

Post by Joram »

I googled what I was talking about.  It was called "Darkon". 
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: mlc82

I would love to get into ancient or medieval battle re-enactment, unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of those two on any large scale around here in Tx.

If you're interested in doing so "virtually" you might want to check out the MMORG The Dark Age of Camelot.

After becoming engrossed in Ultima Online for 4 years some friends of mine and I moved over to DAOC and adventured there for 3 years.

I left it about 2.5 years ago and the population was in decline as many left to jump on the World of Warcraft bandwagon so I am not even sure if DAOC is still up and running.

The main difference between DAOC and the other medieval based MMORGs was that it centered around a war between 3 opposing "realms" utilizing a team (group) based combat system. We fought over and sieged castles in a frontier land. The coolest part was that you could build and operate siege engines.
Hans

marcusm

Post by marcusm »

ORIGINAL: Karri

It does sound a bit stupid, to be honest.

I thought so too at first but she convinced me.

Btw. Does Civil War re-enactment count as live roleplaying? Or even wargaming.

Closest I ever came was the military service and excercises but they were too serious to be considered fun.
Deus Vult.
andym

Post by andym »

Maybe reenactment should be called "living history" or "experimental archeology"?
Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

I have done one live roleplay. It was based on 1000 century and I was a person who had betrayed his wife or somthing. Cant remember the details anymore. It was more of a social roleplay than som battle one. I did train with boffer swords though every week but never used it on any larp.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
Zap

Post by Zap »

I was unaware that there was money to be made in reeactment. But you learn new things everyday.
Zap

Post by Zap »

Marcus said

I thought so too at first but she convinced me.

What men won't do to win over a woman[:D]
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

ORIGINAL: mlc82

If you're interested in doing so "virtually" you might want to check out the MMORG The Dark Age of Camelot.

After becoming engrossed in Ultima Online for 4 years some friends of mine and I moved over to DAOC and adventured there for 3 years.

I left it about 2.5 years ago and the population was in decline as many left to jump on the World of Warcraft bandwagon so I am not even sure if DAOC is still up and running.

The main difference between DAOC and the other medieval based MMORGs was that it centered around a war between 3 opposing "realms" utilizing a team (group) based combat system. We fought over and sieged castles in a frontier land. The coolest part was that you could build and operate siege engines.

UO huh? I remember when I became a GM warrior I thought I was hot stuff so I took on 2 Ogre Lords, thinking they were just glorified ogres. Boy, did I die fast! [X(]

Then there was the time this guy REALLY made me mad, so I took my GM tamer, got a dragon, and released it in his house! [:D]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
BoredStiff

Post by BoredStiff »

ORIGINAL: marcusm

A girl here where I work does this so I naturally became interested.
Has anyone here tried live role playing? Either fantasy or middle ages inspired.

I have now and then thought about doing re-enactments in England but never fantasy rpg.

Share your experience.
I'm not into this, but here is the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.
BoredStiff

Return to “General Discussion”