Help with CDs (Vista)

Here is the place to get and give support to your fellow gamers. This is NOT an official game support conference but a place for general tech support. All questions are welcomed, basic, advanced, software or hardware.
sabot67

Help with CDs (Vista)

Post by sabot67 »

Hello all. I purchased two games prior to deploying to Iraq to play while I was over there- TOAW III & Forge of Freedom. I purchased the download and disks option. Disks didn't arrive before I departed, but were waiting on me upon my return. While was in Iraq, the computer with the downloaded games was destoryed. Good thing I bought the disks also- right? Well, my new computer is running Vista and I cannot get the disks to work. They just spin and nothing happens. If I logoff and log back on with the disk in the drive, I am able to open the disk and see the files. If I then select the .exe file, I go back into the endless spin cycle and nothing loads. Any suggestions? As a side note, I am not liking Vista as very few of my external hardware devices work with it.

Thanks,

Matt
L`zard

RE: Help with CDs (Vista)

Post by L`zard »

Try a 'dis-able' for the secutity settings.........Vista makes 'Carnivore' look like a lap dog, eh?

Manual security settings will prolly be your friend here more than Vista defaults.....YMMV......

Good Luck!
"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

Marc von Martial

RE: Help with CDs (Vista)

Post by Marc von Martial »

ORIGINAL: sabot67

Hello all. I purchased two games prior to deploying to Iraq to play while I was over there- TOAW III & Forge of Freedom. I purchased the download and disks option. Disks didn't arrive before I departed, but were waiting on me upon my return. While was in Iraq, the computer with the downloaded games was destoryed. Good thing I bought the disks also- right? Well, my new computer is running Vista and I cannot get the disks to work. They just spin and nothing happens. If I logoff and log back on with the disk in the drive, I am able to open the disk and see the files. If I then select the .exe file, I go back into the endless spin cycle and nothing loads. Any suggestions? As a side note, I am not liking Vista as very few of my external hardware devices work with it.

Hi, additionally to the former poster. Please check if the disks are dirty, have fingerprints or are scratched. Can you check if they run on another computer?

In the meantime, since you also purchased the download, you can retrieve the link at any time in a time frame of 30 days from the point of purchase (please note that the 30 days is only "official", "unofficially" it should never expire). Please go to our E-Store and click on "Store FAQs" , there check the "I need help downloading." link. Or go to www.findmyorder.com and enter your order number and password.

We recommend to backup software you downloaded to a CD, DVD or a Flashdrive. By our license agreement you're granted the right to burn one personal backup copy to either CD or DVD or the backup medium of your choice.

edit: Oh, and thanks for your service!

Return to “Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers”