Aircraft Engine Sound Effects

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.
NAVMAN

Aircraft Engine Sound Effects

Post by NAVMAN »

Greetings:
Downloaded and installed the "beta" patch from the member's area.
I am now noticing that upon launching aircraft, I am getting prop engine sound effects for
jets. Any ideas?
Thx.
TonyE

RE: Aircraft Engine Sound Effects

Post by TonyE »

What is one of the jets playing a prop sound so that we can reproduce the issue?

Thank you
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Hmm, I bet you are playing in one of the 'legacy' battlesets (aka pre-EC2003).  Their databases in large part don't have the correct propulsion types so the wrong sound is played. 

I'm going to try and put this gently, the EC2003 and newer battlesets are the way forward and have been since HC Gold in 2003.  We will fix crashes in the legacy battlesets as able but since they don't support most of the features added to the game since 2002, 'legacy' is exactly how they are viewed.  In the ideal world, scenario authors and database editors would come together to recreate all of the favorite legacy scenarios in the new battlesets, getting the best of both worlds (compatibility with new features, more accurate platforms at the database level, and scenarios recreated with certain deficiences corrected).  Part of that should be made a little easier in a future patch of the game when the BattleSet Builder will allow embedding the database in the battleset files, meaning you can freeze the database used for your scenarios at a point in time (i.e. instead of shuffling in an Original GIUK database as well as the Recreated GIUK battleset, you just pop in the recreated GIUK battleset and know it has the intended database built right in).

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
NAVMAN

Post by NAVMAN »

Hi Tony,
Understand. One of the aircraft was the S3 Viking. There are others. Can't recall
which scenarios were specifically involved, but they were most likely the "legacy'
scenarios which you described as pre-EC2003. No big deal. Thx for the reply.
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

2008.026 Uses the old methology for deciding which sound to play for aircraft launching for legacy battlesets.  Thank you for taking note of it Navman. 

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
NAVMAN

Post by NAVMAN »

Tony,
Thx for the follow-up.
Navman
Breaker_Morant

Post by Breaker_Morant »

Just purchased/downloaded the game. I'm playing build 2008.24. I got the same error playing the training scenario (had to familiarize myself with the controls again).

Also wanted to say how pleased/happy/excited I was to see this game back on the market!
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

ORIGINAL: Breaker_Morant

Just purchased/downloaded the game. I'm playing build 2008.24. I got the same error playing the training scenario (had to familiarize myself with the controls again).

Also wanted to say how pleased/happy/excited I was to see this game back on the market!

You chose a good time to buy the game if this bugs you, the 2008.044 patch (in the Matrix Members area under My Games) is available which makes at least most of the prop planes in legacy battlesets sound like prop planes.
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

Return to “Tech Support”