Matrix or ?-Building a case for a saved game editor

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Buck Beach

Matrix or ?-Building a case for a saved game editor

Post by Buck Beach »

I suspect one of the most frustrating aspects of the WITP experience (AI or PBEM) is to have to continually restart due to errata or program errors. Days, weeks, months of game play can be lost to this issue.

I have read through the forum that the decision not to allow a saved game editor is Matrix's. It has to be some sort of business decision because it doesn't seem to make much sense to dig in there heels to protect a "game in process" security issue.

It has been pretty well established that a large portion our gamers play AI games either exclusively or at least a majority of the time. Protection against a cheat against one's self seems redundant. So unless it boils down to Matrix trade secrets, that leaves the PBEM crowd and I would like to hear from them. Do you perceive that stopping the temptation offered to a potential cheating opponent is that severe as to not allow all the benefits being able to salvage destroyed games due to errors and or patches?

I hope others will add to this subject either pro or negative to help with the issue.

Boy do I over use the word issue.[:D]
Mike Scholl

RE: Matrix or ?-Building a case for a saved game editor

Post by Mike Scholl »

Just a guess..., but I imagine the real "culprits" are 2by3 (the orginal designers) and whatever arraingement they have with Matrix.
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

While I think I understand your concerns, IMHO while I wish there a way to handle database problems, I would rather deal with with restarts than this proposed solution.
Flipper
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

While I think I understand your concerns, IMHO while I wish there a way to handle database problems, I would rather deal with with restarts than this proposed solution.

We maybe saying the same thing, if a database editor could be applied to an on going game.

Hmm, maybe we are not saying the same thing. Are you saying we won't be able to modify the DB? Wow??
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

Just a guess..., but I imagine the real "culprits" are 2by3 (the orginal designers) and whatever arraingement they have with Matrix.

Well I did say Matrix but it of course would apply to 2by3 or whomever.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

No saved game editors.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

No saved game editors.

You not wanting or needing one or there will be no such editor? I already know there is not one planned, the point of the thread is why there shouldn't be one. I guess it could be: It's is our game and we just don't want one. In that case subject closed.
Hoplosternum

Post by Hoplosternum »

I would like such an Editor. You could make changes or access to making changes password (needing both to agree) for PBEM games. But quite frankly it is not on the top of my list. Even for a WitP 2. A nice to have, nothing more. So if the Designers want to concentrate on other improvements thats fine by me.

But then I have not lost a game to a bug yet (though I have lost units here and there).
Allies vs Belphegor Jul 43 2.5:2.5 in CVs
Allies vs Drex Mar 43 0.5:3 down in CVs
Japan vs LtFghtr Jun 42 3:2 down in CVs
Allies vs LtFghtr Mar 42 0:1 down in CVs
(SEAC, China) in 3v3 Apr 42
Allies vs Mogami Mar 42 0:1 down in CVs
pompack

Post by pompack »

I have never lost a game and I have played dozens of AI games as well as PBEM. I always maintain ten turns of each AI game in the archive and I have never encountered a problem that could be solved by such an editor that could not be solved by replaying one or more turns.

Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

ORIGINAL: pompack

I have never lost a game and I have played dozens of AI games as well as PBEM. I always maintain ten turns of each AI game in the archive and I have never encountered a problem that could be solved by such an editor that could not be solved by replaying one or more turns.

I wasn't referring to losing a game as much as wanting to restart as a result of bug fixes, adjustments to model, or other revolations of the game through patches or in the case of mods tweeks etc.
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

I misuderstood a little bit myself. But my response is still the same as above.
Flipper

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”