Appropriate Loadouts

This new Commander's Edition of Harpoon Classic includes land units, neutral and unknown sides, an improved radar and area ECM model and a host of other improvements. Rounding that out are over 200 scenarios and the WestPac Battleset. Try out this great new version of the classic Harpoon!
theCase

Appropriate Loadouts

Post by theCase »

What loadouts are appropriate for what targets??? Example: I'm trying to attack an airbase with some A6's using Precis-LR (Walleye), I select Attack>Surface, allocate the planes and launch. Right after the planes launch I get a "Group xxx completed intercept of enemy units and is loitering in the area.". Hmmm, well I know they got a runway, lets try "Anti-run" with some FA/18Cs, same damn thing. Also, why does the AI wait until AFTER the planes take off to tell me they don't have the right loadout for the mission?? Hell, it's smart enough to prompt me for the target and type (surface vs. air). I guess I should be happy that the AI still tells you when you don't have enough range for the mission before you take off.

The nearest I can tell, is that a given set of planes only see's the nearest sub-target?, e.g. a missile launcher that is closer to the planes than a runway?Anyway what's going on here?? In the "good ole days" of H97, the A6 / Walleye combo was always a reliable combo to take out anything it could get in range of. (Love the A6, best plane the Navy ever had).

These are all from the "The Backyard" Scenario in the WestPac BattleSet where I'm "trying" to wipe Burevestnik off the face of the earth.

Just throw me a bone as too what the AI is thinking, any ideas appreciated. Maybe a spreadsheet listing weapons vs. target type?
PatinAZ

RE: Appropriate Loadouts

Post by PatinAZ »

Attack and patrol setup works OK for me. Maybe there's a step you missed. After Launch Attack then you have to pick the group or base to attack, either by selecting from the list in the small window or clicking on the Group map (usually the easiest). If you don't select it defaults to something, maybe the closest unit. I'm guessing the closest unit was aircraft and if you did  not have any air-to-air missiles then the staff guy is telling you you have no weapons to use on the target.
Give it another try!!

Pat in the desert
theCase

Post by theCase »

Nah, its not that I don't know how to select a target, been playing Harpoon way too long. I fully understand the target selection process and am getting past that. It's just the loadouts do not work for the target. As I said, I target an airfield, select some A6's with Walleyes, launch them, and as soon as they form up I get the group xxx has completed intercept, blah, blah, blah msg and they're left loitering 2 miles off the carrier. I'm used to the A6/Walleye combo being a great loadout for maximum destruction, now.... just not sure what's going on....

I'm thinking it may be the way the targets in HCE are set up. In H97 an airfiled was a single icon that represented the runway, radar and air defense. Now it's like five icons representing a runway, several SAM sites, and a radar site. Collectively they're called an "airfield". but I really don't know why it's behaving the way it does...

Thank you for the response though! I'm sure the collective hive-mind will have the answer.
mack2

Post by mack2 »

If you simply launched the attack from the carrier and left it, the planes would only target whatever was in range when they reached weapons range of the closest sub-target. The bases in HCE (especially in WestPac) often have up to a dozen sub units of AA Guns, Sam Launchers, Radars and Anti-Shipping missile sites/units.

To take out the base you need to target the base itself.

You need to get your planes manually into range of the thing you want to attack.

In this scenario, Burevestnik has an SA-8b Battery on the shore along the axis of attack from the Carrier. There is also an SA-6b Battery out in the ocean basically, which might also be close to the launching carriers.

A non-micromanaged (for example if you just launched the attack from the carrier and let it go) attack will shoot it's missiles at that target only. The Anti-Runway would have the same issues.

You need to move your planes into range manually.

edit - I loaded up the scen, and switched the loadouts to Precis-LR for the A6, and Anti-Run for the Hornets. The first time the A6 would not attack and it came up with a "No weapons available" or some such like if you choose A2A planes to Surface attack a Surface Group, the 2nd time they flew out normally.
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

ORIGINAL: theCase

What loadouts are appropriate for what targets??? Example: I'm trying to attack an airbase with some A6's using Precis-LR (Walleye), I select Attack>Surface, allocate the planes and launch. Right after the planes launch I get a "Group xxx completed intercept of enemy units and is loitering in the area.". Hmmm, well I know they got a runway, lets try "Anti-run" with some FA/18Cs, same damn thing. Also, why does the AI wait until AFTER the planes take off to tell me they don't have the right loadout for the mission?? Hell, it's smart enough to prompt me for the target and type (surface vs. air). I guess I should be happy that the AI still tells you when you don't have enough range for the mission before you take off.

I think these guys all have a point but I need directions/saved game/small test scenario ASAP to recreate this. I noticed a similar thing recently but couldn't track it down in the limited time I have. Seems to me there is a bug here that can be fixed but there isn't much time until we finalize things for the first patch. Thanks guys!

And yes, the Walleye loadout should still be excellent for just about everything.
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
theCase

RE: Appropriate Loadouts -SAMPLE

Post by theCase »

I have a Saved game that displays the inability of planes to attack a target, but.....because of the file size/type upload limitations, I had to monkey around.

The attached "TXT" file is actually a "ZIP" file, Rename it with a ZIP extension and see if you can extract it.

This will show a carrier group south of YUA. there's some FA/18Cs loaded up with Walleyes, try to use them to Attack YUA, at this point the target just consists of two SAM sites and a Radar. Anyway when I run it, the planes take off and immediately loiter with the "Group xxx completed intercept of enemy units and is loitering in the area." message.

DARN IT!, I DON"T THINK I CAN EMBED A TXT/ZIP FILE CONTAINING A SAVED GAME. SORRY!
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

You can always e-mail to hc3@harpgamer.com.  Thank you much for the effort [:)]
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

File received theCase, I'll probably look at it Friday some time (doesn't work suck!).

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Thanks to theCase, problem solved in build 2008.004.  Thank you for the help!
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

Return to “Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition”