Admirals Edition Editor Thread

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

GaryChildress

Admirals Edition Editor Thread

Post by GaryChildress »

I apologize, I'm sure there are questions regarding the editor interspersed within all the different AE threads stickied at top but I for one would really would like to see editor questions under one roof. [:)]

Looking at the Editor screen shot there are two check boxes in the lower right hand corner which say: "Convert to Class" and "Convert From Class". I'm very curious how these work? My guess is one or both of them have something to do with converting Large AKs to various auxiliary ships. If this is the case, does it mean that a modder could conceivably create it where an AK would convert into a CVE?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks.

EDIT: OK I've looked through about half the replies in the Navy thread and didn't see this mentioned so far. [:D]
Terminus

RE: Admirals Edition Editor Thread

Post by Terminus »

The idea is that you take one ship class as a base line (any type), and generate a bunch of classes that the first ship class can convert into. Then you group them together, by assigning all the classes the same number, and the editor takes care of the rest.

It replaces the old hard-coded AK -> auxiliary system, and can be used for any class and any ship type. You can also make the chain circular, so class A can convert to classes B, C, and D and then back to A again, to start from the top. That way, you can simulate (for instance) the Japanese minesweepers which converted to PC's and back again.

It's a very excellent tool for modders. I'm really looking forward to getting my mitts on it.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
NormS3

Post by NormS3 »

I was interested in finding out if the disband dates for land/air units are editable? Also how about ship withdraw? Sorry if I missed any answers if they were in other threads.
jwilkerson

Post by jwilkerson »

Agree.

The convert to/from editor option is one of the most exciting aspects of the new AE game and editor. I doubt we even understand all the capabilities yet. But another way of characterizing this feature is to say it combines the old "AK" conversion to like AE, AR, AS, etc. as well as the old hardcoded conversions like Ise/Hyuga and Chiyoda/Chitose. Now none of this is hardcoded and anyships can be set up - in the editor to convert to/from anything to anything.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Thanks Terminus! AE is going to be a modders dream!! [&o]
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: Norm3

I was interested in finding out if the disband dates for land/air units are editable? Also how about ship withdraw? Sorry if I missed any answers if they were in other threads.

Fully editable. The AE editor is superb.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

And the "Upgrade Shipyard Size" field? My guess is that we will be able manually set the number of shipbuilding points a ship consumes in the Japanese build queue? That way submarine shipbuilding points won't be tied to the diving depth of the sub? I hope that is the case. Never could understand that relation. [:)]
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

Is there anything left that is hard-wired to a slot number? I am thinking particularly of restricted HQs and the like.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Er, no. That one designates the minimum shipyard size needed for that particular upgrade.
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

On the land side the hardcoded list is minimised to

1. Restricted HQ'S
2. Invasion scenario ranges

I have kept and would ask that modders keep a few slots free at the end of both the Japanese and Allied ranges in case we need to do anything but there are c 8,000 land slots now for units and TOE's so keeping 50 or 60 free at the end should not be a great hardship

Andy
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Er, no. That one designates the minimum shipyard size needed for that particular upgrade.

Ok. I see. I was hoping that there was a way to make certain subs have a decent diving depth but also be cheap to build. I suppose that won't be that much of a problem anyway. The main problem I had with that in the stock editor was in trying to place midget subs in the build queue. Some have decent diving depth but then that makes them innordinately expensive to build. However, I saw somewhere (I think) that midget subs will be treated like barges and PT boats and created at bases using supply points. So off the cuff I guess that won't be a big problem.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

1. Restricted HQ'S

I have kept and would ask that modders keep a few slots free at the end of both the Japanese and Allied ranges in case we need to do anything but there are c 8,000 land slots now for units and TOE's so keeping 50 or 60 free at the end should not be a great hardship

Andy

Will modders be able to add to the Restricted HQ list? Not a big deal if not.

However, it WOULD be great if modders could add to the number of command HQs that show up in the game which players are able assign their units too. Right now there is a set number of HQs like that. Because of restrictions to the number of command HQ slots, CHS had to use New Zealand Command to create an India Command and therefore combine New Zealand and Australia into the same ANZAC Command.

Also, I guess there is no way (or maybe it's too late in the development process) to create a toggle box for whether or not a command is a restricted one or not? Again, not a big deal if this isn't the case, just a thought. [:)]

Thanks.
timtom

Post by timtom »

ORIGINAL: Norm3

Yes on all. And the AE editor really is superb.
Where's the Any key?

Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

Restricted command slots are not editable unfortuantely you can now have 8,000 command HQ's if you like there is no 'magic' HQ range now.

Andy

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

1. Restricted HQ'S

Andy

Will modders be able to add to the Restricted HQ list? Not a big deal if not.

However, it WOULD be great if modders could add to the number of command HQs that show up in the game which players are able assign their units too. Right now there is a set number of HQs like that. Because of restrictions to the number of command HQ slots, CHS had to use New Zealand Command to create an India Command and therefore combine New Zealand and Australia into the same ANZAC Command.

Also, I guess there is no way (or maybe it's too late in the development process) to create a toggle box for whether or not a command is a restricted one or not? Again, not a big deal if this isn't the case, just a thought. [:)]

Thanks.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

One more question regarding conversions...

Is the amount of time a newly converted ship will spend in the reinforcement queue adjustable in the editor? In other words if I want to make DDs convertable to APDs, that might only take a couple months for the ship to show back up in theatre but converting an AK to a CVE could be set for a greater length of time?

Thanks.

EDIT: Also a couple more questions:

1) Is there a way to set the bases in the editor in which a ship can be converted? In other words instead of only having San Fran or Osaka as places where ships can be converted is it possible to set in the editor other such bases, maybe San Diego or Kure. I suspect the answer is "no" but it would be great if the answer were "yes". [8D]

2) Are there any practical limits to conversions? In other words, say I wanted to do this:

When a ship is upgraded, instead of leaving it in port with some system damage, throw it back into the reinforcement queue for a month or so. (Of course this would mean giving the Japanese substantially more shipbuilding points to make up for the added ships in the reinforcement queue.)

Thanks.
JWE

Post by JWE »

Q) - Is the amount of time a newly converted ship will spend in the reinforcement queue adjustable in the editor?

No. Time to convert is hard coded in accord with a conversion table.

Q) - but converting an AK to a CVE could be set for a greater length of time?

Technically, yes; a much longer time (try at least a year), but it won’t happen in any case.

Q) - Is there a way to set the bases in the editor in which a ship can be converted?

No. Think about it Gary; ships are converted at a shipyard. Aux warships are converted to other Aux warships at a Naval shipyard.

Q) - Are there any practical limits to conversions?

I do not understand the question
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

One more question regarding conversions...

Is the amount of time a newly converted ship will spend in the reinforcement queue adjustable in the editor? In other words if I want to make DDs convertable to APDs, that might only take a couple months for the ship to show back up in theatre but converting an AK to a CVE could be set for a greater length of time?

Conversion don't work that way anymore. A converted ship does NOT go into the reinforcement queue. It stays right where it is with both damage and a fitting out delay.

Damage is from the editor of the convert-to class. It is just plain old damage, and can have a shipyard requirement as well.

Fitting out delay is a minimum time required to make a conversion. This is a program controlled value based on the convert from and convert to classes. Even if the ship is fully repaired, it is not usable until it completes fitting out. Convert from an AK to an AV and you might get a few points of systems damage, but also a few weeks minimum fitting out time. It ain't an AV until fitted out.

And, for all you sneaky types out there, some type-to-type conversions will be set to forever plus a day. PT to a BB for instance.

1) Is there a way to set the bases in the editor in which a ship can be converted? In other words instead of only having San Fran or Osaka as places where ships can be converted is it possible to set in the editor other such bases, maybe San Diego or Kure. I suspect the answer is "no" but it would be great if the answer were "yes". [8D]

No, but not the no you expected. Ships can be converted at ANY port that is large enough. "Large Enough" is a comparison between port size and ship size (expressed in tonnage). Little ships in little ports, big ships in big ports. Too early for exact details, but you could convert a PT to an MGB in a level 1 port.

Or, if the convert-to class specifies a minimum shipyard size, a shipyard of that size (or larger) must be present. It can already be full of other ships, just has to be there. You can convert a big ship in a big shipyard, even if the shipyard is in a small port.

The National Home ports (Osaka, San Francisco, etc) can convert any ship.

All this represents reasonable places to do the work, with the Home Ports as a catch all.

2) Are there any practical limits to conversions? In other words, say I wanted to do this:

When a ship is upgraded, instead of leaving it in port with some system damage, throw it back into the reinforcement queue for a month or so. (Of course this would mean giving the Japanese substantially more shipbuilding points to make up for the added ships in the reinforcement queue.)

Thanks.

As I said, conversions do not go into the reinforcement queue. They stay on board and eat up repair capability. They also can be attacked, receive additional damage, have priority repairs specified, have repairs suspended due to other ships getting priority, or be painted a different color.

GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Thank you JWE and Don. That answers my questions. Thinking twice about it, it does make sense that converting ships should be potential targets in port attacks.
NormS3

Post by NormS3 »

Terminus, thanks for your reply. Another quick question about withdraws, do i understand correctly that you can determine the exact ship to be withdrawn?
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

There's an editor field for that in every single ship slot...

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”