Former MIlitary Here???

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Bloodybucket28th

RE: Former MIlitary Here???

Post by Bloodybucket28th »

My dad was an infantryman with the 28th ID, 110th Rgt, 2nd Bn, "Easy" Co.  He landed shortly after D-Day, and was in the Hurtgen mess and got captured during the "Bulge".  In a nutshell, after being cut off his squad sacked out in the middle of a field full of "haystacks", that on closer inspection turned out to be German tents.  He passed on a few years ago.

I had a Great Uncle who served as one of Rickenbacker's mechanics, and, being afraid that he was missing all the fun while stuck in the rear, deserted to go to the front, and picked up shattered left leg and a lung full of gas as souveniers.  The gas did him in years later.

Not be outdone by the military hijinks of my near and far ancestors, I joined the Marine Reserves in 1980, and just recently retired as a Master Sergeant.  While I had some adventures, most recently in the Great EZ-Bake Oven filled with Kitty Litter, I failed miserably to equal the exploits of my relatives, who both had careers lasting a few years, in my almost three decades of service, thank God.

One thing that those of you know a relative who has served might consider, is getting them to talk about it while the camera is rolling.  I'm very glad I did that with my dad, and I think my kids will appreciate it someday. 
golden delicious

Post by golden delicious »

ORIGINAL: TheBloodyBucket

One thing that those of you know a relative who has served might consider, is getting them to talk about it while the camera is rolling.  I'm very glad I did that with my dad, and I think my kids will appreciate it someday.

When I was about twelve, my grandfather (who died in 1999) and I were left at his house while everyone else was at the shops. For nearly the whole time we were there we were sat in silence.

I'd give a lot to get that time with him back.
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."
Trick37_MatrixForum

Post by Trick37_MatrixForum »

ORIGINAL: golden delicious
ORIGINAL: TheBloodyBucket

When I was about twelve, my grandfather (who died in 1999) and I were left at his house while everyone else was at the shops. For nearly the whole time we were there we were sat in silence.

I'd give a lot to get that time with him back.

My British grandparents wouldn't talk about WW2 at all becaus eit upset him. My grandfather lost a brother, and he would break down in tears after thinking of him. It still hurt him that badly. Now that they're gone, all of that information, as well as any other family history information, is long gone.

My uncle won't talk about his time in Vietnam at all. He did open up one, for about 10 minutes, but that was enough to scare the living crap out of me. Still, I know that it's all lost when he's gone. I hope that I can talk to him one day before that happens.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Royal Australian Air Force as a gas turbine and aircraft technician on fighters 1997-2003. The hardest fighting was for a beer at the boozer on a busy Friday afternoon [:D] .

I got to go on quite a few back-seat rides in various fighters and flew the jet for a while on each occasion which was a lot of fun. I can highly recommend pulling sustained 6.5g turns at low level. Negative G you can keep [:'(].

This is me before a strike training mission through the Great Dividing Range. Low level pulling hard turns through valleys all the way. Then we had a weekend on the Gold Coast at taxpayers' expense before doing it again on the way home. Good times.

Cheers, Neilster

Attachments
JoeyHawk.jpg
JoeyHawk.jpg (166.18 KiB) Viewed 2 times
Cheers, Neilster
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

ORIGINAL: Telumar

Kameraden auf der Stube.. On the back of the photo he wrote: With comrades on the Wildflecken.

Now if I compare this to my Bundeswehr time photos it is good to see that nothing drastic has changed between 1940 and 1992 concerning R&R [:D]

On a side note, such a relaxed photo makes me really wonder who of the guys made it through the war. Probably not many of them ....
Iron Dragon

Post by Iron Dragon »

Joined the army at the ripe old age of 17, with my parents permission, in 1987.
I scored so well on the aptitude tests (not a joke) that the recruiter told me I could do just about any job, and wondered what I would like to become. So I asked the recruiter what I could do, he looked at the results and hemmed and hawed for a minute or two, and said "You could join the infantry..." (They always have a quota to fill).
And like a moron, I said 'Okay!'
(Young and dumb)
From there, I went to Cornwallis, then on to the RCR Battle School.
Did a pile of infantry training stuff, and some exercises, and after my first three years were up, I decided why should I stride when I could ride, and I transferred (re-mustered) to the Armoured Corps.
Ended up in the Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) just in time to not be promoted or receive a pay raise for the next six or seven years.
Did some armoured training, mostly on boats (AVGP's) until we got our tanks back from Germany.
Did some tank stuff and some recce stuff and ended up in assault troop. (Back to the bloody infantry!)
Been overseas a few times:
Bosnia 93
Bosnia/Croatia 94
Croatia 95
Bosnia 97
Kosovo 99
Bosnia 01
Afganistan 02
Afganistan 04
Afganistan 06
Then in 2007 my magic numbers came up and I now honourably released and retired at the ripe old age of 37, with a 20 year pension.

I am now enjoying being a stay-at-home dad with my kids and letting my wife go to work. I don't feel the least bit guilty about letting others pick up the slack. We went through some hard times in the ninety's, lots of friends never came home and no one knew or even cared about it. Now its all about the news, ever since the spectacular event in New York in 2001, everybody wants to be on the 'I support (fill in the blank)' band wagon.
Am I bitter? Perhaps. I have left alot of friends in a lot of nasty places and no one even said boo. Now it's all the rage to be a supporter, so now everyone else seems to care.
Sometimes it's tough.

Here endeth the sermon.

What mortal man has heard the voice of the living God, speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived.
hueglin

Post by hueglin »

ORIGINAL: Telumar

Kameraden auf der Stube.. On the back of the photo he wrote: With comrades on the Wildflecken.

Thanks for the great photos Telmur. It's amazing how they resemble so many other non-official photos I have seen (or taken myself). Except for the uniforms, the expressions and obvious camaraderie are typical of any army at any time in history.
hueglin

Post by hueglin »

I joined the Communication Reserve as an Intelligence Operator in 1987. Have served with the same Electronic Warfare unit on and off since that time. Got out, then got back in on two occasions as necessitated by real life work commitments. Am currently serving.

As I do this as a kind of hobby I am happy to still be a Corporal - very little planning or responsibility - just come to work and do a job I like.

My dad was a Signals officer in the Regular Force and Reserves for 31 years. He joined a a private - went to the Congo in 1961/62, Lahr, Germany 1970-73, UK - 1974-74 and 1980-82, Augsburg, Germany - 1990-1992.
Darino

Post by Darino »

What a great thread! The pictures really drive home the humanization of war, and how it isnt just numbers, but people's fathers, sons, and grandfathers plus now wives and sisters and mothers. Too bad that great games such as what he have to play arent the only wars that there are to be fought.
vahauser

Post by vahauser »

My service record:

U.S. Air Force 1973-1979, B-52 Tail Gunner.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”