2 questions

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

fcam1387

2 questions

Post by fcam1387 »

I'm playing an intermediate game as the Union and have two questions I'm wondering whether people can help me with.

1) I'm getting all these weapon upgrades, but all my troops still use the same Springfield rifles - how can I get new ones... The manual mentions something about purchasing new weapons, but I don't see an option to...

2) How do you raise the morale of your troops? I just invaded Northern Virginia with around 150,000 men in 1864 hoping to steamroll and shred the Confederate Armies. During battle, I noticed that most of my troops had 3-4 morale while most of the Confeds were around 8. Despite actually gaining a tactical edge my army buckled and routed - leaving me with 40,0000 casualties verus 22,000 for the Confederates. I really need help with this one...

Yet despite those terrible losses, can the Confederates afford to take those casualties - or can the Union for that matter?
terje439

RE: 2 questions

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: fcam1387

I'm playing an intermediate game as the Union and have two questions I'm wondering whether people can help me with.

1) I'm getting all these weapon upgrades, but all my troops still use the same Springfield rifles - how can I get new ones... The manual mentions something about purchasing new weapons, but I don't see an option to...

Click on the unit you want to give new weapons, and click the weapon icon, this brings up a list of available weapons you can buy that unit. Some weapons might be greyed out if you do not have enough cash and weapons in your stockpile. Generally the better weapons cost more than the low level weapons. This is also how you change the name of the brigade (click on its name "1st brigade" etc and type in what you want to call it. This is also true for any container.) And you can also buy upgrades to your unit, by clicking on the blue squares besides it name (you can buy upgrades like brigade artillery, medical, gatling guns (if researched) and tons more).
2) How do you raise the morale of your troops? I just invaded Northern Virginia with around 150,000 men in 1864 hoping to steamroll and shred the Confederate Armies. During battle, I noticed that most of my troops had 3-4 morale while most of the Confeds were around 8. Despite actually gaining a tactical edge my army buckled and routed - leaving me with 40,0000 casualties verus 22,000 for the Confederates. I really need help with this one...

a) Your units gain experience (and hence moral) in every battle they fight, low quality units gain more from a battle than high quality units. This makes keeping your units alive important, as the longer they have been around the better they will become.
b) There is also a chance each turn that a general might improve the quality of a unit.

c) The defender in a battle will have a moral bonus.
Yet despite those terrible losses, can the Confederates afford to take those casualties - or can the Union for that matter?

That depends upon a few things. How many camps have been buildt by each side, by 64 as the CSA, I generally produce 15k reinforcements a turn, making good the casualties you inflicted in 2 turns with change to spare. The Union should have an even better replacement pool. Did you or your opponent capture any brigades? Cause these are lost for your cause, and would have to be rebuilt completely (and starting again with low quality).

Hope this helps to some degree.
Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”