Average bids so far in the games that have started

Post Strategy Guides and share gameplay tips here.

Moderator: MOD_EIA

Murat

Average bids so far in the games that have started

Post by Murat »

The following is the average of the winning bids so far in the 5 games that I am aware of having started:
***Well it is 11 now so I am putting in the new averages and the change from the 5 average to the 11***

Britain 23.6 +0.6
France 22.4 +2.8
Russia 17.1 +0.9
Austria 9.6 +0.8
Prussia 6.2 -0.2
Spain 5.2 +0.6
Turkey 2.7 -0.3

A few tips on bidding for PBEM: only bid 1 for Turkey. If you really want Turkey just bid 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 down the above list and you should get Turkey. If you do not want Turkey, adjust your bid accordingly. Try to think as you make each bid about the order they are resolved in. If you do not care whether you play Prussia or Spain for example, put 1 more point into Prussia and see which one you get. Look at the AARs and examine what others have done in their bidding strategy.

A final note on using GAP:
GAP allows you to declare pre-existing states of war. If you know you will be at war with a nation in the 1st few turns, why not be at war to begin with and save yourself the PP loss of possibly having to declare war later? You can always go to an informal peace for no PP cost later if you really did not end up pursuing the war.

[edited in an attempt to correct my spelling, Tori [:D] ]
Filmstudy

RE: Average bids so far in the games that have started

Post by Filmstudy »

I submit that you will VERY RARELY get Turkey for a bid of 1, and that's why you are seeing an average bid of 3 for Turkey. The key to getting Turkey is avoiding Prussia and Spain. Some folks love Turkey, but I have found most people dislike playing Spain and the number of folks that like Prussia is also pretty small.

IMHO, The optimal bidding to get Turkey is probably something like 7 6 5 4 2 1 3.
Murat

Post by Murat »

I will also point out that a 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 bid would have given you Turkey for 1 in 9 of the 11 games that I used for the averages above with a 50% chace of getting Turkey for 1 or Prussia for 3 in another and 1 where you would have been Spain for 2 for an 86.3% chance of getting Turkey for 1.
Filmstudy

Post by Filmstudy »

Can you post the exact bids from those 11 games, please?
Murat

Post by Murat »

Most of them are already posted here on the site in AARs or game postings. Feel free to look around.
NeverMan

Post by NeverMan »

Seems that the bids for GB and France are a little lower than what I am used to seeing, Austria also. Spain is a little higher than what I am used to seeing, since I agree that most players I have played with do not like to play Spain (it's a fairly boring proposition to be between France and GB, and a little dicey).
AresMars

Post by AresMars »

INDIVIDUAL BIDS:

Player        Nation Won    Britain       France        Russia        Austria       Prussia       Spain         Turkey

One           Spain               6             7                5              4                3             2             1
Two           Britain            29            28              30              1                2             3             4
Three         Russia            15            14              16            12                5             1             2
Four           France            4             15               9              7                5             1             2
Five           Prussia            2             1               10              6                5             3             4
Six             Austria            7             12               8              6                3             1             2
Seven        Turkey             6             7                5              4                3             2             1

Murat

Post by Murat »

OMG France for 15. DROOL
AdmNelson

Post by AdmNelson »

In one game that dropped --France( which I won) was 12.
Very Proud Marine Dad
AresMars

Post by AresMars »

I don't think that France is going to be a popular guy in the Game due to that BID.

Players 2 and 3 are our most experienced players so it is not really a problem, and the rest of us are good enough to challenge with an early victory otherwise.

The bidding reflects that Player 3 really wanted to play Gb, Fr or Rs, but forgot that the rest of us are not the group he has been playing with lately. Sucks to be him.  [;)]

Sadly, he is well aware of the 1/3 VP Gb rule (and not met VP targets) and we all expect GB to be a royal pain in the SEAt of the pants......no fleets will be safe.

Diplomacy has already got VERY interesting.....I had forgoten how much I enjoy playing this game.....Let the party begin!

Return to “The War Room”