WinXP widens lead over Vista

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Prince of Eckmühl

WinXP widens lead over Vista

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

It appears as though Windows XP SP3 is simply crushing Vista SP1:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/sho ... =204203975

PoE (aka ivanmoe)
Government is the opiate of the masses.
Terminus

RE: WinXP widens lead over Vista

Post by Terminus »

There's an SP3? Didn't know that...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
oi_you_nutter

Post by oi_you_nutter »

Vista Service Pack 1 & XP Service Pack 3 have not been released to the general public yet.
ugh
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Ah... I wondered why I hadn't heard of either...
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

Actually, the article indicates that WinXP outperforms Vista in ALL versions. The lead is expanded in the upcoming service packs.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)
Government is the opiate of the masses.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Well, that's hardly news. Vista is a horrible piece of garbage.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Lol Welp I had said that Vista was showing signs of failure in the markeplace looks like I was right and as I predicted. ;) Ole Ravinhood is right again. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Vista is what it is.

But we ALL will be using it at some point down the road.

Flipper
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish
Not me.

I have always said I'd never use another MS operating system after XP reaches the end of its life. My OS of choice is Linux. Vista is a dreadful OS in every way and Microsoft just seem to be getting worse with their production values. I want to control my OS, not the other way around and XP is a real pain for this reason. Vista is even worse.

I won't be sorry to walk away from Windows and Microsoft. The only thing I will miss is gaming. Then again, as the gap closes between Linux and Windows, manufacturers and devs will have to start catering for both platforms. It's inevitable and good for competition. We are beginning to see serious capital investment from OEM manufacturers for dedicated Linux PC's, which will continue. Microsoft have been forced to allow manufacturers to continue to buy XP for new computers, as customers just don't want Vista. I wonder why?

I know all OS's have fans and no doubt there are people reading this on Vista who love it. That's great, but I can see the same fancy graphics toys and gui on a Linux box costing a quarter of the Vista ready PC.

Bloatware, bugs, loss of user control, bsod, DX10, drivers, hardware incompatibility, confusing licensing, lack of security, Genuine Advantage, User Account Protection etc. etc. Vista is very poor as an OS. I'm sure things will improve when Service Pack 99 is released, but I'm not prepared to spend a stupid amount of money on a beefy PC just to run my OS at a reasonable speed. Many people simply cannot afford the investment anyway. You can buy a PC with Linux pre-installed for the same price as a single license of Vista!!!

Up the revolution! [;)]

Regards,
Jim
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Maybe not flipperwasirish. Remember ME? NT? 2000? We weren't ALL using those at one point down the road. Vista may just turn out to be to much of a flop to put that much into it afterall like ME and NT and 2000.

Well I don't want Linux either. I don't want to have to worry if this game comes out if it works on my system or Linux or both or only one. Nope, what we need is to remain with XP and then update it over time with little $5 updates that are worth $5 and not just a bunch of rubbish. We shouldn't have to change OS every 5 years, it's bad enough we have to change hardware in that time period or less. It's like buying into a neverending model to build and you never have all the pieces to it they just keep adding more. Remember when we used PCI graphics?? Then the top dog became AGP and now the swing back to PCIe. Lol all made to sell crap and I personally don't see the advantages between the two when I compare them using certain games. Now we have core duo and quad core bs coming along lol And games are farting out with those processors installed. You know things are farked up when the program tells you it's not compatible with your damn PROCESSOR!! lol That's just sheer stupidity and it does nothing but cost us the consumers more more more in the long term.

Once again if you support the issues they will continue to push them out the door. But, if you boycott and stop buying just because there's something for sale and waiting on good product then they are going to have to stop and start listening to the consumer. The roar is growing I'm happy to say. I see more and more people everyday complaining about software flaws and OS's and hardware updating. I'm not the only one anymore. ;) Of course I knew I wouldn't be it's just taking time for others to catch up to what's going on. It's been all about money grubbing for far too long and Bill Gates has enough of it he doesn't need any more. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

I'd forgotten about ME!!! I had that installed on a PC for less than a week when it was released. Man, it was bad. NT was pretty good for its time as a server platform, once SP6 came out. 2000 was a bit of an experiment, I think as they wanted to see if Active Directory was viable. I remember the good old days of DOS though and still think it was a huge mistake to drop it from Windows.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

ORIGINAL: Jim_H

I'd forgotten about ME!!! I had that installed on a PC for less than a week when it was released. Man, it was bad. NT was pretty good for its time as a server platform, once SP6 came out. 2000 was a bit of an experiment, I think as they wanted to see if Active Directory was viable. I remember the good old days of DOS though and still think it was a huge mistake to drop it from Windows.

I loved DOS, I understood it, it understood my commands...the good old days...

Alas, Vista is upon us. And it will replace XP in time. And if it doesn't than the next generation will. The gospel according to Gates.
Flipper
morvwilson

Post by morvwilson »

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Vista is what it is.

Therminus,
You are WAY TOO kind!

Flipper,
They wont get me with out a fight!
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
mjk428

Post by mjk428 »

Vista outperforms XP? No surprise for me.

98 outperformed XP. DOS outperformed Windows. And it's amazing what Chris Crawford could do on an Atari 800.

Operating Systems regularly get less efficient in exchange for convenience and features - and not just those made by MS.

I don't use Vista yet but I'm sure I will someday. And I'll keep an XP machine up and running just as I now have a system running Win98. Not that I use it much.
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

Profess the goodness of other OSs such as Linux or even overpriced Apple stuff all you want - Windows still has the most software available by far and that's the deciding factor for many.
hueglin

Post by hueglin »

My experience with Mac OS9 vs OS X is very similar, the newer system (at least over a network) is slower. Lots more bells and whistles though!
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

No matter what you think, Windows has for the first time a genuine rival in Linux. It is gaining ground and snapping at their heels. Only this time, Microsoft can't buy Linux out because nobody owns it. Eventually, Microsoft will be forced to improve their crap products due to simple competition. About time. It doesn't matter if you like or want Linux or not. That wasn't my point. The fact is that competition is what drives prices down and quality up for consumers. If Microsoft had no historical rivals, they'd be releasing buggy, unfinished and poor products left, right and centre.........oh!!!

ravinhood, you can't expect XP to continue working with upgrades for years just because it's better than their other OS's. For one thing, the source is closed, so all you could hope for is to add to the bloat and continue increasing the size, whilst introducing more bugs. You can't rewrite and recompile as you do with Linux because Microsoft won't release the source.

As for hardware, I agree and disagree. Without new hardware, we'd all still be playing on the Spectrum and C64. Those were great machines and I have very fond memories (along with emulators!) of playing those games. But, I wouldn't want to turn back that clock! If you don't want to keep up with the latest fashions, then don't. I take little notice of those who spout crap about having to have dual core processors and PCIe SLI cards to be able to play the latest games. I don't have either and can play everything that's been released in the last few months. It's just marketing and sales pitch. Smoke and mirrors.

Regards,
Jim
Veldor

Post by Veldor »

Linux to the untrained is horrendously hard to use. But no one expects an ignorant user to be able to use Linux without reading a book or taking a class. The same was true for Novell or any other non-MS Operating System.

But, for some odd reason, people have adopted this thought that a user without any education on Vista/any reading or any training should just be able to start clicking away and be every bit as good at it as they were the previous version.

The average user still gets far further in front of a Vista machine than a Linux machine.

I'm not here to defend Microsoft, but as someone who has worked closely in the past with some of their top talent I see all of this negative MS criticism as nothing more than the average bullies making fun of the smart kids so as not to feel so bad about their own lack of knowledge & abilities.

On the surface there may well be a decent number of issues with Vista still, but if you look under the hood there is a lot of brilliant engine parts some of which are so future focused they won't really even need to be used until they are further carried forth into Windows 7.

Of course seeing and understanding those things takes significantly more effort than jumping on the latest headline from some no-name testing firm.

As others have pointed out the same crap was said about XP. Yet somehow now the whole world is off of Win9x just about and XP is this magically great OS now vs Vista. Oh what short memories some of us have.....

leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

Never mind, I was ranting about MS and deleted most of my post.

Let me ask this instead...
Would you be saying those things above about a Matrix game if it were released in as bad a condition as Vista? I sincerely doubt it. The facts speak plainly and don't need me to do anything other than quote them. Vista, as with most initial MS OS's is in very poor shape. The problem is that people are getting sick and tired of the promises that aren't delivered. For example, what happened to Vista being the most secure OS ever? What a joke that was. Vista is their new, shiny flagship product which is failing to sell well because it has been so poorly reviewed and received in the market place. That's a fact and nobody's fault but MS.

The thing is, MS annoy me and many others because they have lost sight of their customers and because they cause a lot of people a lot of frustration. Why shouldn't they be the target of people's anger if they caused it in the first place?

Regards,
Jim
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I might not say the things I said about Vista and Micro$oft in general with regards to a Matrix game, but then Matrix doesn't force me to buy their games if I want to run a computer that I can use for playing other computer games on. Micro$oft does; the two are not comparable.

Return to “General Discussion”