Battlestar Galactica Movie Premiers Tommorrow

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Veldor

Battlestar Galactica Movie Premiers Tommorrow

Post by Veldor »

I know none of you would dare forget, but a reminder the long awaited Battlestar Galactica : Razor movie premiers tommorrow Saturday at 9/8C on the Sci-Fi channel here in the US. This was originally to be a theatre movie but they could not get rights so they instead made a TV Movie under their TV rights. I'm sure budgets were cut but, as anyone who has seen the show knows, the CGI even in the regular episodes is on-par with hollywood movies. The movie should be great even if your not a watcher of the show.

The acting is so good for science fiction that even great shows like Stargate look like cheese in comparison. Among other acclaims Time Magazine called the show one of the best 5 shows on television. The shows writer was nominated several times for acadamy awards in major categories this last year in part for his episode where he drew parrallels to whats going on in the world today by quite successfully making you sympathize for the good guys use of terrorist tactics against the enemy. They've also tackled other serious topics like collateral damage, friendly fire, rape and abuse. Never been done before in a Sci-Fi show.

Some very very good stuff...

Terminus

RE: Battlestar Galactica Movie Premiers Tommorrow

Post by Terminus »

Snoooore...[>:][>:][>:]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Veldor

Post by Veldor »

Fortuneately the critics no longer think so, considering its a small Vancouver Production its quite impressive they've even been noticed:

Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series

Battlestar Galactica • Exodus, Part 2 • Sci Fi Channel • R+D TV in association with NBC Universal Television Studio
Felix Alcala, Director

Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series

Battlestar Galactica • Occupation/Precipice • Sci Fi Channel • R+D TV in association with NBC Universal Television Studio
Ronald D. Moore, Written by
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

Is Razor a prequel to the series? And is the series officially over, or do they have one more season to go?

And ANYONE who things the new BG series is "snooore" must either have never seen it or have no pulse. Even my battle/fantasy/war/sci-fi phobic wife loves Battlestar Galactica.

Take that Termy... [;)]

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
Mac67

Post by Mac67 »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Snoooore...[>:][>:][>:]

Twat. [8|]
"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

ImageThe Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

Is Razor a prequel to the series? And is the series officially over, or do they have one more season to go?

And ANYONE who things the new BG series is "snooore" must either have never seen it or have no pulse. Even my battle/fantasy/war/sci-fi phobic wife loves Battlestar Galactica.

Take that Termy... [;)]

SoM

I've seen it, I have a pulse and I don't find it any more interesting than any of the other parts of the shit shower of remakes that have smothered us over the past several years. The old one was better.[:'(]

So at the risk of repeating myself, and sincerely hoping to continually offend certain entities on this forum:

Snooore[>:][>:][>:]
Veldor

Post by Veldor »

Take that Termy... [;)]

SoM

There is one more season to go. Twenty episodes and then the series is over (Aside from more movies similar to SG-1). Mr. Moore is just too valuable these days and I think he's cooked up a more profitable project with NBC. Really I never understood why BSG wasn't on regular NBC. I think fox ruined network tv for sci-fi when they massacred Firefly. Somehow they thought Heroes worth the risk though. BSG episodes are still some of the most widely downloaded episodes on Itunes and other internet outlets vs any other show in the history of the internet.

This movie is somewhat self-contained and tells the sidestory of the Pegasus just after the initial cylon invasion. This is because the Pegasus episodes and casting were so well received. Some of the cast from the Galactica is involved (Part of the story is told as a flashback or something like that).

Funny that legally they aren't allowed to call it a movie but instead a "special two-hour episode"...

"The special two-hour episode "Razor", which will serve as a backdrop for the events of season four of Battlestar Galactica, tells the story of Lee Adama's first mission as the commander of the battlestar Pegasus — and the harrowing tale of that ship's desperate fight for survival in the immediate aftermath of the Cylon's genocidal siege of the Twelve Colonies.

Lee Adama's new XO, Major Kendra Shaw, is plagued by memories of her service and sacrifices under Admiral Helena Cain, who was able to save her ship during the Cylon attack — but only by making Shaw and her fellow officers rationalize suicidal battle tactics and brutal war crimes against their own people.

In the crucible of war, Shaw must let her hesitation and doubts burn away, until all that remains of her is the honed edge of a living human weapon — what Colonial veterans call "a razor." But an edge so fine cuts in more than one direction. It can cleave an enemy to pieces … or it can carve away a person's soul."
Mac67

Post by Mac67 »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Take that Termy... [;)]

SoM

I've seen it, I have a pulse and I don't find it any more interesting than any of the other parts of the shit shower of remakes that have smothered us over the past several years. The old one was better.[:'(]

So at the risk of repeating myself, and sincerely hoping to continually offend certain entities on this forum:

Snooore[>:][>:][>:]

Well, at least that was a bit more constructive then the 1st time around. Still managed to be obnoxious as hell though.[8|]

The old BG was as camp as Christmas but enjoyable all the same. Come's off like a kid's show when compared to the new one.

Did Gabriel Koerner of "Trekkies" fame work on BG:Razor? The last I heard about him he was all set to work on the live action version of "Speed Racer".
"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

ImageThe Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

This proves to me... Termy is Dirk Benedict.

The old one was COMPLETE camp. Baltar was absolutely over-the-top. It was kinda like The Invasion merged with Lost in Space (with Baltar being a reasonable copy of Dr. Smith). Speaking of Baltar, did everyone know that the original Baltar, John Colicos, was the first Klingon commander seen in Star Trek (he was commander Kor on "Errand of Mercy"). He reprised his role as Kor later in ST:TNG.

But as good as the original was, the storyline was hackneyed, the universe was a rip-off of Star Wars and Star Trek, the actors were absolutely some of the worst on TV (with the possible exception of Lorne Green), and the show never had an appropriate explanation for what was going on (and when they found Earth is was a huge let down).

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

That's my main issue with the current BSG; it takes itself too seriously.

The first one WAS complete camp, I won't deny that, but that's precisely what made it good. That, and the fact that I was much, much younger back then. If the original BSG had come along today, I doubt I would have spared it a single minute of my time.

The new one? No thanks...
Veldor

Post by Veldor »

ORIGINAL: Mac67
The old BG was as camp as Christmas but enjoyable all the same. Come's off like a kid's show when compared to the new one.

Did Gabriel Koerner of "Trekkies" fame work on BG:Razor? The last I heard about him he was all set to work on the live action version of "Speed Racer".
I don't know of Gabriel, but speaking of campy.. Is it not hard to imagine the live action version of "Speed Racer" as the most bad-a$$ movie ever made? One that outdoes even the Matrix? I know it is for me but the brothers say they've saved some of their most innovative and inventive film ideas to make it all that and more than even the Matrix was. At least all the top acting talent has signed on this time around (Not the biggest Trinity fan).

But "Speed Racer" being bad-a$$ movie #1 I mean come-on.

Then again when you compare the new BSG to the old one in the way you just did... I guess anything is possible.

Go Speed Go!
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

With the writers strike going on, I wonder how long it will be before the final season begins?
gunny

Post by gunny »

Its easy to get hooked on BSG the way a widow gets hooked on a soap opera. The dialogue can be long at times and the action sequences few. But once the story line is followed it leaves you hanging to the next episode. Quite cerebral. 
Veldor

Post by Veldor »

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

With the writers strike going on, I wonder how long it will be before the final season begins?

I haven't been following the strike at all but it had been my understanding that it didn't affect Canada and thus wouldn't affect BSG. Am I wrong?
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

Actually, I've heard a few theories that the strike was the reason for the final season not filming until we['re already a fair chunk in to next year.
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
Veldor

Post by Veldor »

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

Actually, I've heard a few theories that the strike was the reason for the final season not filming until we['re already a fair chunk in to next year.

I looked it up and for BSG the writers strike didn't impact them until just this last weekend (Its mostly a Canadian Production). So now they are shut down. Given it was a short week anyway they aren't exactly behind. Of course no one really knows how long this will last do they?
Chijohnaok2

Post by Chijohnaok2 »

Saw BSG:Razor last night. Was interesting. Answered some background questions that I had from the prior seasons.

Also found out the Admiral Cain (female commander of the Battlestar Pegasus) was involved in a little woman-on-woman loving with one of the Cylon human replicas; ironically enough, with another version of the same model that Baltar was having a relationship.

Feel free to drop by and chat about whatever is on your mind.
Veldor

Post by Veldor »

Bada$$ retro cylon warriors with guns blazing. Complete with the "By Your Command" line. 10 times scarier looking than the new models and 100 times scarier than their original non-CGI versions. Gotta love it. Wish it'd had more of it.

Funny enough, over on wargamer a year or two ago.. I posted an idea I had for a story pretty much exactly like that. The crew comes across a "renegade" old cylon basestar using old ships and the original warriors. I guess it was all too obvious an idea seeing as the new show has actually won over a greater majority of the older shows fans by now. I'm really going to dig it if the retro toasters show up more in the 4th season.

I think no ones going to be happy until Starbuck starts kissing girls again though...
gunny

Post by gunny »

Now if they could only bring back that sparky headed Lucifer
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

imo left me wanting.. guess I had tooo hi of hopes!
BUT one thing I did find rather interesting was the whole killing civillains and medel at the end, " judged by history" lines where very non pc.. to me they basically said, " we where not there so we cannot judge their horrific behavior" that in light of the current scandals plauging the war effort I found pretty glib.

I am no dove, I just found it provocative.
"Tanks forward"

Return to “General Discussion”