Righ click info in Detail combat morale

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

JavieRyan

Righ click info in Detail combat morale

Post by JavieRyan »

sorry if this question was discuss in the past or is a dumb question:

I always when i play i try to inderstand the similarities betwen the reality and the game , for example in the righ click over enemy units, give us the morale information.In the real acw ¿ How a regiments o brigade in combat could diagnostics the high level or poor level of moral?...i imagine one brigade in the deep of woods firing over my brigade...is based in the time,weather ,in our casualties.....in the experience of our general...?

thanks

Walloc

RE: Righ click info in Detail combat morale

Post by Walloc »

From a purely realisitic POV i agree with. Not only wouldnt u know the exact enemy moral, neither would u knwo ur own troops moral as commanding general.
That said there clues to moral in reality. How's the cohesion, doesnt the troops seem to be wavering, how does the wounded and "wounded" leave the ranks. Are troops alone or part of a force that inter protects eah other. How have u seen these troops behave before. Neither of them are sure tell signs, but can give some indications.

How do u balance that in a game. Good question. Does games tend to give to much information, sure. On the other hand for better or worse u also many times play alot of commanders controllling many position and not only 1 as would be in reality. Thats a whole nother discussion, tho. because u play that mnay person uby the nature of it gets to many information. Still info could be more vague instead of the very precise nature of information in games. Games ae based in math so i guess its an easy way to show stuff. Instead of converting math / specific numbers into more vague term.
Im short i think u have a point, but its not some thin that personally bothered me much.

Kind regards,

Rasmus
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

The enemy morale in the popup report, as I'm sure you know, is only an estimated value.  I do think it's realistic that a battlefield commander would have some estimate of the enemy's morale by observing their behavior on the field.  I had considered making some of this information (or more detailed information) available only if there were a friendly unit with the scouting attribute in the vicinity of the enemy unit.
moose1999

Post by moose1999 »

Maybe you could change the estimate of enemy's morale in the right-click menu from a numerical value to a written one, sort of like in the Total War games (steady, shaken, broken etc...).
That would more accurately simulate the whole idea of the battlefield commander making an estimated guess from observation.
The idea of making more detailed information available if you have a scout unit nearby is good.
Perhaps you could integrate some of the very detailed information that the battlereports give (about weapons and other stuff) in this feature, i.e. battlereports involving one of your units with the scout ability will be more detailed/accurate.
regards,

Briny
JavieRyan

Post by JavieRyan »

Thanks for the answers.
Regards
Joram

Post by Joram »

Hi Briny, I think that falls into the "chrome" aspect of the game.  As Eric said the opponents morale is already approximated and it really makes no functional difference if it was words or numbers.  It's more on what you like to see.  I actually sometimes go through the mental approximation of saying, ok, his morale is around 1, that means he's shaky.  But I don't have to do that either.  I think with more experience this really becomes automatic if you like thinking in those subjective terms.

I fully agree with the scout idea.  I think knowing the weapons due to scouting or fire or both is a worthy improvement at some time too.

moose1999

Post by moose1999 »

Oh, I do understand it's an approximation, Joram.
My suggestion was purely a cosmetic one - a written description would better signal that it was only an approximation.
And it would be a tiny bit more atmospheric than just a raw number.
But it really is a very minor thing, I know, just a thought that popped into my head [:)]
I agree, it's a question of what you like to see.

regards,

Briny

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”