Blue water CSA?!

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

Scona

Blue water CSA?!

Post by Scona »

Just rebooted a new game after I got sucker punched by the AI in a way most historically minded gamers would think impossible. January 1862, the USA is on track with getting Kentucky in with the Union, starting operations in the Mississippi valley and slowly building up for a summer push in Virginia. At sea the USN has armed only 2 of its ships, and these are blockading Norfolk; there is a project underway to begin equipping a naval expedtion into the Gulf states but both ships and army units have yet to be armed. Then it happens, 2 CSA fleets sweep north and engage the blockading ships at Norfolk with 8 fully armed ships against 2![X(] Its over fast and they next move north to New England, and I conceed to the AI.

2 questions:

1) What was I doing wrong that allowed the south to outbuild me in armed vessels? Especially as they were also keeping an army at roughly historic force levels?

2) Does the south get more naval resources at higher difficulty levels?
"Everything else being equal, the army with the best looking uniforms usually losses." Murphy's law of military history.
ericbabe

RE: Blue water CSA?!

Post by ericbabe »

Which scenario/difficulty level were you playing?
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

I should also ask whether you were playing with any patches installed. The original release had the infamous CSA Navy problem, i.e. a strong naval force that was used mainly for testing purposes and not removed for the release, but we removed that with the first (or second?) patch. So if you never installed a patch, that would be what's happening.

But if you're playing a November scenario, the CSA does start with a small number of ships, and maybe the AI just spent some resources on it's navy and then got lucky in the attack. It doesn't do this much, but has the capability of doing so. This would definitely take away from its land forces, though -- no way the CSA can keep this up...
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Scona

Post by Scona »

I was playing the June '61 scenario with a "sergant major" setting and +0 strength modifiers for both sides. My game was downloaded at the begining of this month and has not been patched.
"Everything else being equal, the army with the best looking uniforms usually losses." Murphy's law of military history.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

That definitely explains it then. You at the very least want to go with the 1.9.23 patch that's been officially released, but this new patch that's in public beta testing is so much better in terms of new features/rules plus some bug fixes that I'd recommend jumping straight to it. (On the other hand, we won't be releasing proper documentation saying what's in this newest patch until it is officially released, so you might want to get 1.9.23 anyway just for the .pdf file listing all of the changes since the initial release.)
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Scona

Post by Scona »

I definately will patch up. Being "Trafalgered" by the "Butternuts" was like something out of an alternative history.[8|]
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Yeah, that's what a lot of people were saying when the game was first released...

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Scona,

Yeah, that's entirely an issue of the past if you apply the updates and they improve the game in so many other areas that I wouldn't play without them. I'd advise getting the latest 1.10.9 public beta and playing the "Coming Fury" scenario. It's much more historical than the old one you were playing.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”