Got sound in Age of Rifles and DOSBox

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

DeadInThrench

Got sound in Age of Rifles and DOSBox

Post by DeadInThrench »

Far out! Managed to get the sound working in Age of Rifles running under DOSBox (this on XP Pro with SP2).

Sound was working when I brought up AoR under normal DOS (command prompt) window... but not under DOSBox... and I noticed that when I brought it up under normal DOS... it was prompting me for my CD Drive (E) not being ready and I was just responding with an I for Ignore... but then the sound in AoR worked.

So..... in my DOSBox command in my AoR shortcut properties.... added the option....

-c "MOUNT E E:\ -t cdrom"

and when I brought up the game this way (under DOSBox) I didn't get the prompt for the drive not being ready but.... got sound! The sound works.

LOL..... whatever..... at least now I have the option... may end up turning sound off but... again... at least I now have the option.

DiT

P.S. Oh... make sure you run the SOUND.EXE sound initalizer for AoR under normal DOS before expecting to get any sound.

P.S.2. Oh yeah, I got my copy from the Underdogs (you can't otherwise get it except on other abandonedware sites) and it is version 1.402 which was not supported by SSI, and potentially could make a difference in how the game works with something like this re what was once available commercially.... for those that purchased the game back when.
ravinhood

RE: Got sound in Age of Rifles and DOSBox

Post by ravinhood »

Almmmm you used underdogs, almmmmmm for shame for shame sarge. (gomer pyle usmc) ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

DeadInThrench

Post by DeadInThrench »

I feel absolutely no shame whatsoever.... quite the opposite as a matter of fact!

For instance...... TOAW is a fairly old game as well... but MATRIX got the rights and updated and.... my order is in the mail... and yes I put down the cash for it.

If UBI or whomever owns the rights to AoR had updated it along the same lines.... or even if they were still making it available along the lines of HPS with their EAW series (something like 7 years old but still available)... then they would be pulling in the revenue for it.

The point is... it is otherwise not available. The US Congress should clear this whole thing up by passing legislation where.... if you go a year with product like this not available anymore... then others can distribute it free of charge.

Otherwise..... ya know, I am really NOT interested in arguing something like this hear.

DiT
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

But, it is still for sale and you could have bought it here and here
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

anvl

Post by anvl »

and it still sells!!  awesome,,,

for those who are interested,, there is one more patch than dit mentions above,,and it is avalable here...

http://www.wargamer.com/aor/download.asp

anvil
Deus subrisum stultusi et ferrari
DeadInThrench

Post by DeadInThrench »

Well... it is not GENERALLY available..... I usually get my games through NWS.... they even have some copies of Dragoon: Prussian War Machine... by Shrapnel games.... even though the relationship between Boku and Shrapnel ended over a year ago.... but don't have AoR.

Also..... as far as ethics are concerned.... real question about selling AoR at anything other than bargan basement prices... because it is gonna have problems running on most people's machines (unless you have DOSBox). On my machine (XP Pro) when I bring the game up under normal DOS.... the left side of the screen is off the display and the cursor is abysmaly slow. So... if they had a caveat on the sale that.... game requires DOSBox or another DOS emulator.... then that would cover it but... ya know... none of em are saying that with what they have on Amazon.com.

At least PWM will run on most machines in use today.

Also.... you have to be careful with what you get through Amazon.com. I bought a new floppy disk through them but turned out to be the wrong one and the seller.... wouldn't take it back... because I had opened the box (e.g. rip off!).

As far as getting a used copy through EBay or Amazon.com.... what's the point? The only point is I could get a hard copy manual but.... that is my discretion.

DiT
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

Does that mean that the record company should get a piece of the money I make on a tag sale? After all they still own the rights. Also should someone be penalized for giving it away because someone else wants to sell their copy on ebay? We are not talking about brand new just printed games we are talking about used games. Also how do you know that all the sellers haven't copied the disk already and are just as guilty of " stealing". This is the crux of the matter. The creators, publishers and the distributers get no money whatsoever on these used deals. So your only argument is that Joe down the street won't get his $ 5.00 for selling his copy on Ebay. I would buy a Matrixed version in a heartbeat. As a matter of fact I have bought all the complilations that Matrix has offered so far, even though I still have the originals.

We could not have bought it " new " and been certain that we were even getting a copy of AOR or Ms. Pacman. Yes there are certain safeguards on Ebay etc. But what burns me up is that the FBI will not even look at a ripoff artist unless he steals more than $ 10,000 over the net. Ebay can close a seller down one minute and he'll be back in business the next. For every great deal I've been told about online there is a horror story from someone else. There's my two cents.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Lol it's easy to make excuses that fit your agenda when it comes to copying free games and stuff isn't it? ;)

sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

If that's to my statements Ravinhhood I'm at a loss. I never said anything about pirating and don't condone it. I merely stated facts about used games and buying them or anything on the internet. My daughter just got stuck with a car ( damn fool ) that she bought on a online bidding site. Everything about it was a lie from the mileage on up. because of the amount ( $ 600 os so ) she's pretty much out of luck.

Please tell me the difference of a friend giving an old copy of his to me of a game no longer able to be bought except for used, and getting an old game off the net? Does this mean in your eyes that I shouldn't download commodore or amiga games. because I could get an old commodore that might work off the net used?

If Matrix were to take all the old SSG games and revamp them I'd have my wallet out in a flash. I do believe you are talking apples and oranges between a twelve year old game that is totally abandoned by it's present copyright owner and a new game that has intrinsic value. I have a napoleonics game that the source code was revamped on sourceforge without the copyrighters consent. I own a legitamate copy of the game, so in your eyes I can't download all the work that these great people have done to make the game finally playable? I own AOR's and an addon for it. But if I didn't I'd be damned if I'd buy it off the net used.

Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

No I'm saying if it still sells NEW in the box that's the only difference. I buy used titles all the time, but, I've never been ripped off by them. Always complete, maybe missing the box, but, I don't care for the box at all. Just saying one should do a thourough search for an old game still in the box new before downloading it for free. Thas all. ;) BTW if whoever mentioned NWS as their source for games and told ole Chris you downloaded it for free and most especially form Underdogs you'd get way more than an earful from him than you will from me. He doesn't think you should download ANY game abandonware or shareware or whatever without permission from the old publisher and/or developer. He's a LOT worse than I am about downloading old games. I just say do a good search and if all you find are USED versions then by all means do what you think is best, free or a few bucks. ;)

Also one thing you must understand no matter how much you rationalize something about old software, copyright laws are still in effect whether the publisher or developer are around or not. There is a 75 year copyright rule in effect for ALL copyrighted material whether you like it or not. Thus any copying of old software abandoned or not still falls under these laws. Of course you can break them at your will. Just letting you know they are still in existance. Thing is people will do what they are going to do anyway and say or rationalize anything anyway it makes them look in the right even though they are in the wrong. I personally don't care what you or anyone else does, just pointing out some principles. I might be a cheap tightwad sort of person, but, at least I will still go the 1/2 mile and pay for what I get used or new instead of downloading it for free.

sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

Well I suppose if you believe what you are getting is " new " from 12 years ago you can have that belief. I know NWS does rants all the time  ( and rightly so ) about software on ebay etc. that are just copies that the seller made. He warns people all the time about this or that seller and tries to get ebay etc. to do something about it. As far as copyright laws go they are different for everything in the US. Drugs have one set of laws and software music and written material all have their own all with different expirations. As far as the "new" years old software I will tell you a story. Once upon a time you could return software to sellers if you were not happy with it. Now everyone believes that pirating as in copying and bringing it back ruined it. Well that is false. What the software sellers were doing, was when you returned a game they would rewrap it and put it back on the shelf. That turned out to be a big mistake because it broke laws about reselling material as " new ". according to several sources that I knew in the busines, exec's not clerks. They all got hit with a large fine and that's what put an end to returning games. This is many years ago, at least in software age.

Now as far as shareware goes there is nothing immoral or anything that anyone could argue with downloading it. Shareware is either free to try and the owner would like a donation, but you are under no obligation to do so. Or it is time locked where you can use it for 30 times or so and it becaomes locked. Third way is that you download really a demo that can become the full game if you decide to buy it.

No offense to NWS either but they are a seller of used games so I think their take on it might be a little skewed. I know if I ran a business selling used wiggets and down the street someone started giving them away, I would not be happy. By the way I have bought new and used games from NWS and they are great to deal with.

The reason I would not buy really old software from anyone is the inability to be certain that it will run on my systems. I don't have too much trouble with my old games. But there are many posts on this forum alone about people who can't run this or that. As a matter of fact someone that I was dealing with from SSG was quite surpried I had no problem running the original CAW and CAW2 on an XP machine. NWS " might " but I'm not sure, allow you to do an exchange. But they are the only ones that I would even think that might.

Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

DeadInThrench

Post by DeadInThrench »

OK, this topic came up in another forum and so.... wanted to post my position here.

And the gist of this.... IMO the public has a responsibility to business to pay a fair price for the business' product that they buy... but this is a door that swings both ways and... businesses have a responsibility to the public as well.

And, IMO, what businesses that have a computer game out on the market... and get to the point where they do not want to publish it anymore... should be told... is they should make a download version of the game.... add a pdf (or whatever) manual, and make it available download only for a reasonable price (e.g. less than the printed version... much like Matrix does here).

Now.... they don't have to do this but.... as a matter of being responsible to the public... if the game goes for a period of time not being made available.... then it should be quite legal to offer it free of charge by those so inclined to offer it.

In other words..... if a game publisher completely takes a game off the market... as a matter of succinct lack of responsibly to the public.... they effectively lose their copyright.

With this.... most if not all of the software now available on the abandonware sites.... would be legally distributible.

I should say here that.... it is WISE business to keep these games available (not to mention pulling in a buck or two). Matrix is one step above this... they obtained the rights to PacWar and War In Russia... spent the money to upgrade them... and have made them available for free. Then.... War in the Pacific comes out and... I was talking to NWS on the phone the other day and... it sells... and it probably sells BETTER... because Matrix kept the interest alive with what they are offerring with PacWar.

Whatever.... would be nice if the government passed a law as I suggest. Again, responsibility in this case is a door that swings both ways.

DiT

P.S. And remember that... the copyright laws... and least here in the US... are subject to... WE THE PEOPLE (and what WE THE PEOPLE want... is to be fair on both sides of the fence).
anvl

Post by anvl »

wow,, such a political statement,,

so what you are saying,, in effect is that if someone creates something,, then the consumer,, who has done nothing, added nothing, created nothing,,other than consume,,, has more rights,,or any rights,, over the created item than the man who creates it? And the man who creates it in a sense "Owes" the consumer for doing all this work? And you believe the government ought to pass a law to enforce this?

hopefully not in my lifetime...

My product is mine,,, if i chose to sell it, then you can buy it,, if i chose to pull it from the market for any reason,, whether you think its "smart" or not,, is my choice as the creator of that product..not yours,,and is certainly no business of the governments...

copyright laws are meant to protect creative people..people who "Do" from just such,, um er,, inappropriate actions that you are suggesting...

But you are right on one point,, it is a two way street,, the public has no,, I repeat,, no responsibility to any business to buy their product for any reason,,,

otherwise,, we would all have a "responsibility" to buy every second or third rate game,,or product,, put out there,, just to keep things "fair"!!! :)

I repeat,,Not In My Lifetime,,,

I believe this is what we call free enterprise,,

sheesh

anvil

DeadInThrench

Post by DeadInThrench »

Ya know.... there should be an ADVANCED FEATURE... in forums.... where you can lock another poster out... from responding directly to your posts... or from responding at all in threads that you start.

This would be something that you wouldn't want to use exept in rare cases.... but if there is someone that is blatantly hostile to you.... or is an addict to following you around and making blatantly inane comments to whatever you post (lol)... well, that would be the time to use this function.

Of course... there would be nothing from stopping the individual from starting his own thread but... then everyone could see just how much other posters think of his comments.

Otherwise... the value of the discussion in threads... tends to deteriorate... and is thus of less value to those that are providing it (Matrix in this case) as well as those that read the threads and/or post to them.

DiT
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

This has nothing to do with the abandonware issues. I just wanted to comment on the above post.

"we would all have a "responsibility" to buy every second or third rate game,,or product,, put out there,, just to keep things "fair"!!! :) "

As far as new software goes we are all screwed because of the software companies refusal to except returns. Mostly they really can't because of the laws regarding selling used as new. They could easily fight those laws for the consumers sake but they like the staus quo. But everything else that we can buy, we have the ability to return it if not satisfied. As far as it being a piracy issue that's BS. Because all software ( unless it is very low priced ) has some form of protection. So that the average person would not be able to crack it and use a copied disk. As far as real pirates go, new games are usually to be found on the net sometimes before the company releases them but certainly the day of release. So a real pirate wouldn't waste their time trying to crack a disk that they bought at EB etc. they would just download it.
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

DeadInThrench

Post by DeadInThrench »

sulla....

I never said anything about having to purchase second and third rate software... that was a misinterpetation of what I said by someone else. What *I* said..... was that we, as customers, have a responsibility to pay a fair price for software that we DO buy.

As far a buying a product that you don't like and not being able to return it.... hmmmm... IMO we should all do our research on the INet here before buying something..... make sure as to what you are getting before you buy it. IMO... the responsibility for this... is something that should be in the customer's hands. You really don't want a situation where there is product going back and forth between the seller and the customer... because that is waste... and so IMO... the business has a responsibility to deliver what they say they are delivering.... but otherwise IMO the customer has the responsibility to live with what they purchase.

Whatever,

DiT
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

I look at abandonware this way...

First, I do have copies of games downloaded that I purchased back in the day (Xcom, for example). I don't really see a problem with doing that, since I HAVE given them my money and support.

I have also downloaded games just to try them out. I went a LONG time without a decent PC and Internet access, so I missed a whole generation of titles. So, I download them to try them. And if I find something I like, I either track it down for purchase (Example...I really liked Age of Empires, so I purchased the gold edition of AoE 2), or take a look at something that company has produced more recently.
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
anvl

Post by anvl »

dit,,,

the irony is that we have a few games we like in common,, and have very diametrically opposed ideas in general.. normally this is a good thing,,and creates a good learning environment,,but

the problem is one of us just cannot accept criticism..

the truth is,,if you started a thread that i had no interest in,, i would not respond,,,

as for the rest,, concerning your  ADVANCED FEATURE,, we have already been there in another forum here,,,

there is another solution for you,,, and that is that you could create your own message board,, like on yahoo,, and be the moderator\owner and then only let people you want post,,

anvil

ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Yeah what anvl said[:'(]

anvl

Post by anvl »

ravinhood,,,

thanks,, [;)]

anvil

Return to “General Discussion”