Command and Conquer for free

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Jevhaddah

Command and Conquer for free

Post by Jevhaddah »

Greetings fellow wossnames, I came across this in me programming forums. [:)]

http://www.commandandconquer.com/intel/ ... 1#NewsMain

EA (bless em) are giving away C&C and it works with Winders XP.

Sooo those who fancy a blast from the past download the 2 ISO's and off yoo jolly well...

Cheers

Jev
I am really quite mad yoo know!
ASHBERY76

RE: Command and Conquer for free

Post by ASHBERY76 »

That is about the value of the game.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Jev

Thx for the heads up anyway. The game isn't my cup of tea. In it's day, it had a place for me....it was probably the RTS which pushed me over to proper strategy games...I had played Dune etc, etc - all the resource gathering, build them quick, select all and charge games and I think this was probably the last one I had...

But very kind of you to take the time to give the heads up.
Alba gu' brath
Jevhaddah

Post by Jevhaddah »

heheh Thanks Judge,

I like all kinds of games and totally ignored C&C when it first came out, but being tightfisted Scot I gave it a go when the Uber Sooper delux Version came out with all the addons and had a blast playing it.

Total Anihilation is still my favourite though and I am still stuck on the Protoss campaign in Starcraft [:D]

Cheers

Jev

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Yeah...I know what you mean. I knock people for being totally RTS or totally turn based....I think if the game is fun, then it's worth the cash...however, in general, I have left the RTS world. I got a bit sick of the "build as fast as you can, select all and charge" type.

I'm sure there is more to them than that, but generally, my head can't keep up with RTS, so turn based and pausible real time will do me...but unlike other people around here, I understand there is a market for all....also, I do not rule out anything simply because it isn't the mode of play I prefer...that would be stupid [:'(]....but in general I stay with my preferred styles of game.
Alba gu' brath
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

Not really my cup of tea, but thanks for the info! It's nice to see companies starting to do this with their older software. It's a great way to maybe introduce some new players to their titles.
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

oh if someone did this with Age of Rifles I would be shouting out of my car window in joy! [:D]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

http://www.geocities.com/favouritegames/AoR.html

You know you can get a link for free Age of Rifles here ?
EUBanana

Post by EUBanana »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Yeah...I know what you mean. I knock people for being totally RTS or totally turn based....I think if the game is fun, then it's worth the cash...however, in general, I have left the RTS world. I got a bit sick of the "build as fast as you can, select all and charge" type.

I'm sure there is more to them than that, but generally, my head can't keep up with RTS, so turn based and pausible real time will do me...but unlike other people around here, I understand there is a market for all....also, I do not rule out anything simply because it isn't the mode of play I prefer...that would be stupid [:'(]....but in general I stay with my preferred styles of game.

They have been trying hard to get away from that simplistic sort of 'strategy' for some time. Its not really fair to say that, any more, IMO - not for the good ones anyway.

Warcraft 3 has plenty of incentives to stop the army of doom or the turtling, for example.

And theres Rise of Nations as well, technically an RTS, but with a lot of novel ideas in it. I still play that one now.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

If you guys want to play the best RTS game ever made and got little rave or hype or much advertising find yourself a copy of SACRIFICE. I really hate loathe and wish I could go back in time and imprison just about all RTS developers before they were let loose in the world. But, I really enjoy playing SACRIFICE. There's no peasants to recruit. Everything is always right there where you are as far as building goes. There's like 40 solo missions you can play or 30 something rather and then the final mission is always the same no matter which path you take to it. Then there's a multiplayer aspect that you can still play against the computer AI. An let me tell yah the computer AI is pretty darn good in this one. That last mission is a killer diller and you'll curse and scream and swear there's no way to beat it, but, there is, in fact several. ;) It's fast and furious, but, it's not overwhelming like most rts games. You control just enough and not too much and the gameplay is more unique and more innovative than any other rts game I've ever played.

As far as the C&C series goes I'm just going to wait on that "First 10 Years" collection to go bargain bin under $10 and probably pick it up as a collectors copy and nothing more. I played C&C years agon when  we used to play on MPLayer site. (lol that's telling my age) played a lot of Sid Meiers Gettysburg there as well. I just never got into that rts stuff though and you don't find many turn based games you can play online within a few hours setting. We need some 2-4 hour turn based wargames we can play online badly. Besides Combat Mission.
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to check it out.  I like all manners of computer games. Turn based, RTS, RPGS, simulators....[:)]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Jevhaddah

Total Anihilation is still my favourite
Same here! You might want to check out TA Spring and Supreme Commander, for they are much alike
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Jevhaddah

Post by Jevhaddah »

Yup I have Supreme Commander, just no time to play it atm [:)]

Just looked at TA Spring, looks interesting [:)]

Cheers

Jev

Return to “General Discussion”