Civil War

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Skyros

Civil War

Post by Skyros »

Okay the 150 anniversery is coming up in 2011 - Whats in the pipe line.

How about reviving Frank Hunters The Road from Sumter to Appomattox Civil War Game. It would be awesome upgraded and improved!
Brigz

RE: Civil War

Post by Brigz »

ORIGINAL: Skyros

Okay the 150 anniversery is coming up in 2011 - Whats in the pipe line.

How about reviving Frank Hunters The Road from Sumter to Appomattox Civil War Game. It would be awesome upgraded and improved!
From what I have heard this is already on Frank Hunter's "to do" list. We just might see it by 2011.
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

Gitcherself a copy of Victory's old "Civil War" cardboard-and-paper game. Punch 'em out and set 'em up, it's never been done better.

This game continues to be played more often than any other by the members of the wargame club I belong to (and we all have WitP). We have worn out three copies over the years and recently bought an unpunched copy on eBay so that we can (please don't tell the copyright cops) - ummm - "reproduce" the components on our own stock and retain the unpunched game against a time that no more will be available.

An example of this game's greatness is how well the far west theater is presented. I know of no other game, computer or otherwise, that models the activities of the limited federal and Confederate forces there and the involvement of the various Indian tribes - even Stand Watie is included!

You can almost hear Eli Wallach yelling, "Hurrah for the Confederacy" in the mistaken belief that the cavalry unit approaching his and Clint's wagon is Southern, but turns out to be a Union unit whose blue uniforms are covered with grey dust from long, hard riding through the desert.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

I thought I remembered someone saying there were something like 3 ACW games in the pipeline at Matrix roughly a week ago - with the only announced one beging on the GGWaW engine.
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

Gitcherself a copy of Victory's old "Civil War" cardboard-and-paper game. Punch 'em out and set 'em up, it's never been done better.

I quite agree. I have always said that Victory Game's "The Civil War" is the most eloquent and beautifully designed wargame ever. The theater allocation and game turn termination process is nothing short of genius. I bought this game when it first came out and played the hell out of it. It is one of the few wargames (maybe the only one) that I would play all day and night and then into the next day untill the game was over. It's like a good novel that you just can't put down till you're finished. It's not only the best "Civil War game" ever made but possibly the best "wargame" ever made.
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

I've got that game, it is very good. I just do not have any one to play against.

"Just remember Blondie, if I was dying I would tell you were the treasure is."

This game continues to be played more often than any other by the members of the wargame club I belong to (and we all have WitP). We have worn out three copies over the years and recently bought an unpunched copy on eBay so that we can (please don't tell the copyright cops) - ummm - "reproduce" the components on our own stock and retain the unpunched game against a time that no more will be available.

An example of this game's greatness is how well the far west theater is presented. I know of no other game, computer or otherwise, that models the activities of the limited federal and Confederate forces there and the involvement of the various Indian tribes - even Stand Watie is included!

You can almost hear Eli Wallach yelling, "Hurrah for the Confederacy" in the mistaken belief that the cavalry unit approaching his and Clint's wagon is Southern, but turns out to be a Union unit whose blue uniforms are covered with grey dust from long, hard riding through the desert.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

Gary Grisby is using his World at War engine to produce an American Civil War game.

According to his diary it wil come before his new War in Russia game.

AlvinS

Post by AlvinS »

I agree. Its the best Strategic Civil War Game I have played. I play both face to face and on VASSAL. Getting ready to start a new game next week.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: AlvinS

I agree. Its the best Strategic Civil War Game I have played. I play both face to face and on VASSAL. Getting ready to start a new game next week.

From all the praise given to this game! I wish this game was one of those being planned for release to computer
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

ORIGINAL: Zap

From all the praise given to this game! I wish this game was one of those being planned for release to computer
There was a computer DOS version of this game released by Avalon Hill but it was a total disaster. Horrible graphics, an extremely sluggish interface, and worse, it totally lost the appeal of the boardgame. Also adding to it's distaste, you could only play against the computer as the Union. Even allowing for the early state of computer programing it was an abomination.

There is a good Vassal version available for download on the Vassal site if you want to get a look at it. You will of course have to install the Vassal main program to run it. Both are free and well worth the effort.
pixelpusher

Post by pixelpusher »

Ahem... you might want to check this out.
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

ORIGINAL: pixelpusher

I hate to say it, but this looks pretty lousy by comparison to the VG title. Sounds like sort of a Sid Meier thingy to me...
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Here's a quick look at a part of the map for our Civil War game. We hope to be done with it around the beginning/middle of next year.

Attachments
GGACWsamplescreen.jpg
GGACWsamplescreen.jpg (247.27 KiB) Viewed 95 times
GGACWsamplescreen.jpg
GGACWsamplescreen.jpg (247.27 KiB) Viewed 92 times
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: pixelpusher

I hate to say it, but this looks pretty lousy by comparison to the VG title. Sounds like sort of a Sid Meier thingy to me...

Er have you not played Crown of Glory? Great game and not like that at all...Im really looking forward to this one!
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Here's a quick look at a part of the map for our Civil War game. We hope to be done with it around the beginning/middle of next year.

Looks great! Looks like Ill be buying two upcoming Matrix Civil War games! Cant wait! [:D]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Yep, there are several Civil War games in the works. Here's the rough sequence of release:

1. Forge Of Freedom from Western Civilization Software (Grand Strategy, based on a massively updated Crown of Glory engine) - Great game based on the beta, should release this Summer
2. Battleground Civil War (an updated compilation of all the TalonSoft ACW titles in one package) - Should release this Summer
2. Gary Grigsby's American Civil War from 2by3 Games (Grand Strategy, based on a massively updated GGWAW engine) - Excellent game based on the alpha, should release Q1 2007
3. Frank Hunter's ACW - This is farther off, but will be Frank's take on ACW grand strategy

I think ACW gamers will have a lot to enjoy here and from what I've seen FoF and GGACW will complement each other as each has a different approach to grand strategy. I'm sure some will prefer one or the other, but you really need to try both.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I play SP, CM, PC. I used to play SMG and CWG2. Anything coming from MG on these scales?
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

THanks for the info Erik. I cant wait, now how will I fit these in with my WITP games. HMMM.
bschulte1978

Post by bschulte1978 »

I don't know how I missed this thread over the past week, but somehow I did.  Four Civil War games in the pipeline?  Awesome!  I'll be buying them all with the possible exception of the Battleground pack, since I have all of the original games.  Will this update have a map editor or will it restrict users to the original maps, oobs, etc?
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

[2. Gary Grigsby's American Civil War from 2by3 Games (Grand Strategy, based on a massively updated GGWAW engine) - Excellent game based on the alpha, should release Q1 2007]

Awww man another flippin year??? Gawd you guys take forever to make a game. ;) 
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Return to “General Discussion”