Enigma Code Cracking

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Capt. Harlock

Enigma Code Cracking

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Something of interest on today's (March 2) BBC technology page. Some of the Enigma cyphers were never solved during WWII, but the coded messages have been preserved. Now someone has put together an open-source code cracking program which links numerous computers over the internet (rather like the public SETI program). Already it's bearing fruit: they've deciphered a message from U-264 broadcast November '42.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
ShermanM4

RE: Enigma Code Cracking

Post by ShermanM4 »

Now, now as the movie U-571 clearly shows it was the US that captured the first Enigma machine, so I wonder why that would be on BBC?[:D][;)]
"Perserverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages."

~General George Washington

Ike99

Post by Ike99 »

Cool, got a link to the site?
¨If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.¨ Che Guevara

The more I know people, the more I like my dog.
SemperAugustus

Post by SemperAugustus »

today's (March 2) BBC technology page. Some of the Enigma cyphers were never solved during WWII, but the coded messages have been preserved. Now someone has put together an open-source code cracking program which links numerous computers over the internet (rather like the public SETI program). Already it's bearing fruit: they've deciphered a message from U-264 broadcast November '42.

I am not surprised, e.g. the Gestapo communications were never compromised as badly by sloppy operators like the Luftwaffe communication. It'll be interesting to see if anything new turns up.
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
DamoclesX

Post by DamoclesX »

I heard of this.

Thats some cool stuff eh
Jason Blaz
Way to much to list here!
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

The good news: the second of three unsolved messages has been cracked. The bad news: it was only a position and weather report.

--Victor Hugo
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

Which was the great bulk of messages.

A message that says Lt Richter has travel orders to go to Caen could mean anything.

If the allies learnt that one of the 2,000 Lt Richters was a pilot they could assume that his squadron is being posted to somewhere near Caen.

But Which Richter is it?

Do other pilots have travel orders?

Or is it Lt Richter the army doctor?

-

Return to “General Discussion”