How too surrender?

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

chris23

How too surrender?

Post by chris23 »

How does one surrender if af battle is not going well?
FlashfyreSP

RE: How too surrender?

Post by FlashfyreSP »

F9 key is for surrendering.
ImageImage
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

You also must raise both hands and say "I geeve up" in a bad French accent. (Sorry --bad joke. Can't help it sometimes.) [:'(]
chris23

Post by chris23 »

Yep. thanx
azraelck

Post by azraelck »

The French automatically surrender before battle actually starts (in the same 'turn' that pre-plotted arty falls).
"Wait... Holden was a cat. Suddenly it makes sense."
Puukkoo

Post by Puukkoo »

You guys are begging troubles.
Don't be shocked, I AM funny.
chris23

Post by chris23 »

Ha ha that always happens when I play as them, that just shows how realistic this game is:)
Puukkoo

Post by Puukkoo »

I have not played French for a long time, but I will definitely not surrender! Perhaps I should continue my Dien Bien Phu campaign.
chris23

Post by chris23 »

Just a joke[:)]
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Puukkoo

I have not played French for a long time, but I will definitely not surrender! Perhaps I should continue my Dien Bien Phu campaign.

C'mon, Puukkoo, the kind of humor you encounter at wargaming forums isn't politically correct, but it isn't mean-spirited either.

I have a lot of respect for the French military tradition, which inspired some great leadership and several valuable works of military science. Some of these works became required reading at West Point.

(Personal note: this is why forum posting is such a tricky thing. The lack of tone of voice and facial expressions make it a poor substitute for person-to-person conversation, and that's why so many written thoughts get taken the wrong way. That's especially true of a person like me, who relies heavily on body language and tone to get my points across. In the written form, the true intent is often lost.)
Alby

Post by Alby »

YOu guys are gonna like the New French OOB that is coming out in the SPWAW Mod.
Well, if you ever use the french that is...[;)]
Flashfyre has busted his butt on this baby!
I hope they dont surrender!
[:D]

azraelck

Post by azraelck »

In all seriousness, I was watching the Military channel; and In 1939 the French Army often retreated without ever seeing an enemy or firing a shot. They were beaten before they even fought a battle. I think that's the reason why the French have such a sterling reputation on the field amongst the general population.

Of course, they were beat before the Germans even made their intentions known of invading France. Neither France nor Britain wanted a second World War, and when it came; not only the French Army but the entire nation collapsed. It was also mentioned that they had a "1918 army" compared to the modern German one.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

azraelck, You need to go to the axishistory.com forums and read David Leamann's posts on the French and their battles.
There were no real battles in 1939 in France. In May June 1940 the French with the British were defeated by surprise and poor leadership, not the ability or courage of the soldiers.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Korpraali V

Post by Korpraali V »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

azraelck, You need to go to the axishistory.com forums and read David Leamann's posts on the French and their battles.
There were no real battles in 1939 in France. In May June 1940 the French with the British were defeated by surprise and poor leadership, not the ability or courage of the soldiers.

To see that it is good to read what happened in France after the Dunkerque and before France surrendered. Germans had real troubles to continue their advance because French defenders were more motivated then.

And some years later around the Monte Cassino...
azraelck

Post by azraelck »

What I was referring to was prior to Dunkirk. And I'm more likely to believe the Military Channel than some forums poster. You were right that there was no real battles. The French broke before even hearing the German Panzers approach. The battles that were fought showed no lack of courage, but a decided lack of communications and cohesiveness. Add in a spread out force and they were simply overwhelmed by the more concentrated and better coordinated Germans. It wasn't even an issue of force size, and even the strength of their tanks, as the French had a larger force, and their tanks were superior. It also really wasn't an issue of courage, but morale. They did not want another war, and were not mentally prepared for a dedicated assault. Finally, they were taken by suprise by the Germans going through the Ardennes, rather than the routes that would be more favorable to a mechanized army.
jaffa

Post by jaffa »

ORIGINAL: azraelck

Finally, they were taken by suprise by the Germans going through the Ardennes, rather than the routes that would be more favorable to a mechanized army.

I don´t believe that French Forces were too surprised, as Germany tried this way to Paris in WWI, althogh the "mechanical" argument mentioned is surely a point. But anyway, even that should have been part of French strrategic thoughts if their Leadingstaff wasn´t too out-of-this-world.
Steel Panthers ---- the only really ruling strategy-game
Puukkoo

Post by Puukkoo »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

C'mon, Puukkoo, the kind of humor you encounter at wargaming forums isn't politically correct, but it isn't mean-spirited either.

I have a lot of respect for the French military tradition, which inspired some great leadership and several valuable works of military science. Some of these works became required reading at West Point.

Nah, I was actually only interested in 'how to buy Westland Lysander from French OOB?'.
(Personal note: this is why forum posting is such a tricky thing. The lack of tone of voice and facial expressions make it a poor substitute for person-to-person conversation, and that's why so many written thoughts get taken the wrong way. That's especially true of a person like me, who relies heavily on body language and tone to get my points across. In the written form, the true intent is often lost.)

We do have the facial expression symbols here, they are called 'smileys' and they look exactly like Alby.
264rifle

Post by 264rifle »

Azraelck. May I suggest that you read some of David Leamann's posts. and then decide. He has posted some great stuff on the depot.

In a book called "Dirty Little Secrets of World War II" by James Dunnigan and Albert Nofi which is full of various factoids about WWII. There is a comparison of the the 1940 campaign and the first six weeks ot the Russian campaign in 1941.

In France the Germans had 122 divisions and suffered 155,000 combat losses (dead, prisioners and missing) The allies had 140 divisions and suffered over 1/2 million combat losses. In Russia the Germans had 134 divisions and suffered 213,000 combat losses but inflicted almost 1 million losses on the Russians. By the end of the year the Russians had lost over 4million men. Russia had four times the population of France and was lot bigger with more room to retreat to.

Did the the Germans win in France? of course, but not because the French troops all ran away. You don't loose 155,000 men chasing a panicked, retreating enemy unless your men are incredible clumsy and your tanks and trucks run over your own men.

The French were totally out maneuvered due to WWI communications and a lack of air reconnaisance. The time to find the enemy tank division IS NOT when it has driven over your supply dump and and blocked the bridge over the river 15 km behind you.
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: Puukkoo

We do have the facial expression symbols here, they are called 'smileys' and they look exactly like Alby.

[:-]

PimpYourAFV

Post by PimpYourAFV »

I am playing the regular WW2 campaign as the french and they are doing quite well despite a 7:1 advantage in numbers for the germans.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”