Teeeny Weeny Font Size in RTW3?

Tech Support forum for Rule the Waves 3
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

Post by Werewolf13 » Mon May 29, 2023 8:40 pm
Font size is way too small.
There is no in game way to change it and there really needs to be. My native screen res is 1920X1080.

Font size can be changed by using Win 10 Font Size settings or by changing win10 default screen resolution. Changing the screen res to 720P works, however, that screws up the UI. Using the Win10 change font size slider for all apps- works to change font size too but - well - NOPE - that really hoses the UI and just plain looks like crap.

I bought RTW3 on Steam but no help there with a fix so I refunded it.

If this issue gets fixed I'll be rebuying RTW3 and buying it here. If not - as much as I looked forward to RTW3 it'll have to be a no go for me.

NOTE: game appears to have been built with a combination of Microsoft Excel and Access advanced (very advanced) standalone executable and graphics features which work well for commercial customers and creating reporting apps for users that don't have either excel or access. IMO not suitable at all for a game.

Looking forward to a fix.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
1 post • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Rule the Waves 3: Tech Support”
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Werewolf13 and 0 guests

Board index
All times are UTC
Delete cookies
Members
The team

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited

Privacy | Terms
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
WilliamMiller

Re: Teeeny Weeny Font Size in RTW3?

Post by WilliamMiller »

***We looking at a potential update to the engine/UI for RTW3 - if it works out as we would hope, then these sort of issues should be a thing of the past.
(Oh and no, the game was not "constructed/designed using Excel" or anything like that...it uses (an older) version of a professional development language/environment...)

In the meantime, the below is from the official RTW3 FAQ:

The game's UI looks weird on my monitor and it's hard to see what's going on in the game. Is there any way to address these UI oddities?

We know some players are having issues with the game's UI due to scaling issues or particular monitor setups. Here's a range of solutions you can try to resolve these issues:

1) Desktop Scaling: The game UI/font size in the game will scale according to changes made to your Windows Desktop scaling factor. You can adjust this scaling factor by the following steps:
Select Start > Settings > System > Display. Look for the "Scale" or "Scale & layout" section and adjust the scale % to a higher value, and test the game to see if that is a better view.

2) Adjust High DPI Scaling: If you have high-resolution (4K or 1440+) monitor and/or have issues with cut-off controls in the game then this adjustment may help you if you are running Windows 11 or later versions of Windows 10:

a) Open up your RTW3 Steam folder: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rule the Waves 3" is the default install folder.
b) Right-click on the file called "RTW3.exe"
c) Choose "Properties"
d) Click on the "Compatibility" tab
e) Click on "Change high DPI settings"
f) Check the box for "Override high scaling behavior" - For "Scaling performed by" choose "System (Enhanced)"
...Launch the game and see if this helps...if it does not then please turn the setting back 'off' as its not needed and might produce other issues in that case.

3) Windows Magnifier: If the text is too small to comfortably read the following may help you:

Using Magnifier on Windows 11: To quickly turn on Magnifier, press the Windows logo key + Plus sign (+) . To turn off Magnifier, press the Windows logo key + Esc. If you prefer using a mouse, select  Start  > Settings >  Accessibility > Magnifier, and then turn on the Magnifier switch.

Using Magnifier on Windows 10: To quickly turn on Magnifier, press the Windows logo key + Plus sign (+) . To turn off Magnifier, press the Windows logo key + Esc .  If you prefer using a mouse, select  Start  > Settings >  Ease of Access   > Magnifier > Turn on Magnifier. 
William Miller
NWS Administrator
Naval Warfare Simulations
https://www.navalwarfare.net/

Return to “Rule the Waves 3: Tech Support”