Game isn't launching

Tech Support forum for Rule the Waves 3
Setnode

Game isn't launching

Post by Setnode »

As it says on the tin. The game isn't launching.

I have the game on Steam, and I'm launching it through the steam client, but it won't launch. It doesn't even show up in the background processes tab in task manager. It just doesn't do anything. I tried directly launching the executable, but that also does nothing.

OS is Win 11, launching from Steam.
WilliamMiller

Re: Game isn't launching

Post by WilliamMiller »

Hummm...make sure your anti-virus is not blocking the game, I have seen at least one or two reports of that in the recent past.
William Miller
NWS Administrator
Naval Warfare Simulations
https://www.navalwarfare.net/
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Setnode wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:29 pm As it says on the tin. The game isn't launching.
I have the game on Steam, and I'm launching it through the steam client, but it won't launch. It doesn't even show up in the background processes tab in task manager. It just doesn't do anything. I tried directly launching the executable, but that also does nothing.
Could you please post a DxDiag for us with your system information?

Are you on an administrator account? If not, could you try running it as an administrator?

Also, could you please try running the game directly from the RTW3.exe file in the installation folder? You can find that location on Steam by right-clicking on RTW3 in your library list of games, choosing Properties, then Local Files and Browse.

Please also make sure you have .NET 4.7.2 installed, which the launcher required. You can double-check this by a verification or an uninstall / reinstall on Steam.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Setnode

Post by Setnode »

Erik Rutins wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:25 pm
Setnode wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:29 pm As it says on the tin. The game isn't launching.
Could you please post a DxDiag for us with your system information?

Are you on an administrator account? If not, could you try running it as an administrator?

Also, could you please try running the game directly from the RTW3.exe file in the installation folder? You can find that location on Steam by right-clicking on RTW3 in your library list of games, choosing Properties, then Local Files and Browse.

Please also make sure you have .NET 4.7.2 installed, which the launcher required. You can double-check this by a verification or an uninstall / reinstall on Steam.
DxDiag:
(GPU is GTX3070 8GB)
I highly doubt my PC's specs are the issue, lol.

Yes, I'm on an administrator account.

I've already tried to run the .exe directly from in the game's directory, this did not work.

I did not have any .NET version installed, so I installed the latest .NET version (7.0.x). After that, I've tried running the game again, but to no avail.

I'd like to mention that RTW2 launches just fine, no issues there.
MaximKI

Post by MaximKI »

Sorry to hear that the game isn't running for you.

Have you tried verifying local files at Steam?

Have you tried a complete, clean reinstall of the game after you installed the latest version of .Net?
Setnode

Post by Setnode »

MaximKI wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:57 pm Sorry to hear that the game isn't running for you.

Have you tried verifying local files at Steam?

Have you tried a complete, clean reinstall of the game after you installed the latest version of .Net?
I've verified the local files, I've tried reinstalling the game, it still just doesn't work.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Setnode wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:53 pm I did not have any .NET version installed, so I installed the latest .NET version (7.0.x). After that, I've tried running the game again, but to no avail.
Hi Setnode,

Have you checked to see if your anti-virus/security software might be blocking some part of the game?

The launcher does specifically need .NET 4.7.2 rather than any other version. You should be able to get it here:

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/down ... -installer
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Setnode

Post by Setnode »

Erik Rutins wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:24 pm
Setnode wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:53 pm I did not have any .NET version installed, so I installed the latest .NET version (7.0.x). After that, I've tried running the game again, but to no avail.
Hi Setnode,

Have you checked to see if your anti-virus/security software might be blocking some part of the game?

The launcher does specifically need .NET 4.7.2 rather than any other version. You should be able to get it here:

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/down ... -installer
I have checked with my AV to see if it's blocking anything. It doesn't appear to be doing so.

I just realised I installed the dotnet SDK, not the framework, lol. The Framework's installer just spits out ".NET Framework 4.7.2 or a later update is already installed on this computer.", and doesn't install the 4.7.2 version. According to Microsoft's own documentation, I can't install any other 4.x version of the Framework, since they're "in-place updates". Neither can I apparently install any other version, because it's part of the OS. I have the 4.8.9x version installed. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotne ... tallations

As I'm writing this reply, however, the launcher just launched after I pressed launch like 15-30mins ago. Great that it launched, but I find 30mins a little too long. :lol:
Hitting "Play" on the launcher launches the game. After closing it, and then attempting to launch the game again, it still hasn't launched. I'm expecting it to take quite a while though.
Last edited by Setnode on Thu May 18, 2023 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WilliamMiller

Post by WilliamMiller »

30 minutes??? That is very odd, certainly.

a) Can you tell me what location you have the Steam Library that RTW3 is installed in? There are rare instances where having a non-standard library location has caused issues with certain game launches.

b) Do you have/play any other Matrix games on Steam? If so, do they launch ok?

c) Do you / have you had any other Steam games that have any launch/initialization issues?

Apologies for the multiple questions, just trying to narrow this down...
Last edited by WilliamMiller on Thu May 18, 2023 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
William Miller
NWS Administrator
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Before trying the steps below, close unnecessary programs and restart your computer:
1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager.
2. Click More Details.
3. Select the Startup tab.
4. Right-click on each item and select Disable. (except Steam)
5. Restart the computer, run the game and check if the issue persists.

If this resolves the issue, enable the startup applications one at a time to determine which one is causing the problem. You will need to restart between each application you enable.

Note: To re-enable startup applications, follow steps 1-4 and select Enable.
Setnode

Post by Setnode »

WilliamMiller wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:25 pm 30 minutes??? That is very odd, certainly.

a) Can you tell me what location you have the Steam Library that RTW3 is installed in? There are rare instances where having a non-standard library location has caused issues with certain game launches.

b) Do you have/play any other Matrix games on Steam? If so, do they launch ok?

c) Do you / have you had any other Steam games that have any launch/initialization issues?

Apologies for the multiple questions, just trying to narrow this down...
A) It's installed in the default Steam directory.

B) I do have other games published by Slitherine LTD (C:MO and ICBM). I tested them a while ago, and they too seem to be launching very slowly.

C) No, to my knowledge, it's only the ones published by Slitherine LTD.
WilliamMiller

Post by WilliamMiller »

Thanks for the reply...Matrix is currently looking into this issue as it may possibly be some sort of rare launcher issue.
William Miller
NWS Administrator
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

Try starting the game from the RTW 3 exe.

Go to your Steam library so SteamLibrary > steamapps > common > RTW3 folder

and double click the RTW 3 exe.

This will remove the need to launch the game from the Matrix Launcher which may be the source of the problem.
War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
bremencast

Post by bremencast »

I'm experiencing the same thing.
After purchasing the game on steam, there is no response.
It's not even visible in the processor in the task manager.

The launcher.exe does turn on 10-15 minutes after I run it.
Whether I hit RTW3.exe from the direct folder or because I bought it on steam, it's the same, I have to wait 5-15 minutes before launcher.exe turns on.

I've already reported this issue to the RTW forum on steam.
And informed me that the developers are working on it as a priority.
The common thread seems to be Windows 11 and purchasing from steam.
Setnode

Post by Setnode »

IslandInland wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:17 pm Try starting the game from the RTW 3 exe.

Go to your Steam library so SteamLibrary > steamapps > common > RTW3 folder

and double click the RTW 3 exe.

This will remove the need to launch the game from the Matrix Launcher which may be the source of the problem.
I have already mentioned that I've already tried that. Doesn't work.
ptkinsella

Post by ptkinsella »

I'm also experiencing the same thing.

Whether I hit RTW3.exe from the direct folder or because I bought it on steam, it's the same, I have to wait 5-15 minutes before launcher.exe turns on.
WilliamMiller

Post by WilliamMiller »

ptkinsella wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:19 am I'm also experiencing the same thing.

Thanks for the report @ptkinsella

I am sorry this is occurring for your game - Matrix is thinking it might possibly be some sort of launcher-related issue and is having their Operations people examine this issue. As soon as we find out anything related to this issue we will post it here.
William Miller
NWS Administrator
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Please open your Windows documents folder and find the folder ...\My Games\Rule the Waves 3\Launcher.
Inside there should be a "log.txt" file.
Please attach it.

Also, if possible, could you please contact us at support@matrixgames.com as it will be easier for us to troubleshoot the issue.
MaximKI

Post by MaximKI »

A new beta has been uploaded, which bypasses the Slitherine launcher. Please give it a try and let us know if that has resolved your issue with launching the game.
Setnode

Post by Setnode »

MaximKI wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:45 pm A new beta has been uploaded, which bypasses the Slitherine launcher. Please give it a try and let us know if that has resolved your issue with launching the game.
This beta version launches pretty much instantly.

Return to “Rule the Waves 3: Tech Support”