Improving Accessibility for the Blind

Please post your wish lists for future updates and releases here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

BlindGuyNW

Improving Accessibility for the Blind

Post by BlindGuyNW »

Hi All,

I'm creating this topic to keep track of ideas on how to improve the game accessibility for the blind/visually impaired, such as myself. A lot of the current UI is already at least partially readable, including components such as the event diary and various reports.

The most important areas to improve involve access to map information. Currently it's difficult to select particular hexes, though information on them is generally readable in text form. Overlays like the LOS tool are dependent on visualls to convey information.

Relatedly, selecting units currently requires mouse interaction on the map, which is not ideal as a blind user. An alternate method to give orders would help ensure the whole thing is as usable as possible.

Essentially, much of the current game UI is already at least partially usable, and the remainder has potential to become so with some thought and engineuity.

I look forward to being able to play the game.
CapnDarwin

Re: Improving Accessibility for the Blind

Post by CapnDarwin »

Thanks for jumping in here to add your thoughts. We can track things better here than on Discord.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
BlindGuyNW

Post by BlindGuyNW »

It would help if the forum let me know I had a reply :)

I currently own Red Storm, which I know is slightly older UI-wise, though I think a lot of the principles are similar.

Basically at the moment the hex info in the status line and/or unit display is the primary way of getting information to me, along with the movement entries in the tactical diary and so on.

I don't have a way of knowing, for instance, why a given hex has ratings of 90% for movement, nor do I have a wya to tell what the underlying terrain is like beyond the fact that it has elevation and so on.

So a decent start would be to increase the amount of info I can get in some way. General info on what the terrain is like, wooded or with a road or river or whatever, would help in planning. A sighted user can obviously get this info at a glance.

A way to jump to bookmarked hexes, or specific hexes either by number or by unit or otherwise interesting places would also be of use. What's "interesting," could vary by scenario, I imagine.

Just some thoughts :)
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Notifications would be great, but they are not there. As for the terrain type and other "visual cues", we would need to find a way to add a more verbose text window with your list of info per hex that also notes units in the hex, nearby enemies, and range/direction/type/number, terrain and associated values for elevation/cover/concealment and probably other information to help decide on what actions to take.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

Return to “Requested Features and Ideas”